It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birds likely flew into power lines

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Its ok guys, fish flew into power lines as well.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by napayshni57

Yes and the drunk Romanian Jackdaws......Twice!

I don't know who these experts are but surely they credit us with more inteligence than that!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Human_Alien

OK, "maybe" HAARP could have disrupted their navigational senses and maybe they crashed into one another, or the ground or something, but I think it would have left some type of evidence, and I think there would have been reports of erratic behavior of the birds. BUT, I will your scenario a slight possibility. It is just as likely as Hail, or as my theory of a UFO or military aircraft.

One thing for sure, there were a couple of bird deaths that were extremely unusual and unexplained. Maybe some of the others got overhyped and we lost focus, but this case is highly unusual!

The only problem I personally have with the hail-theory is, we've always had hail. Ever since Earth was born. Yet, we only recently had massive bird/animals-deaths in such a small time frame.
Which makes me have to ask: what ELSE, is recently new to us?

To me that would be: HAARP technology and a swift magnetic pole shift and a lunar eclipse with the Moon at its lowest point............. coupled with entering into a height of a solar cycle.
That sounds like a pretty lethal combo to me!

So could HAARP have done something intentionally or accidentally that yielded horrible results?
I think that's quite possible.

Plus, I am quite certain it's hailed somewhere since that day/week but have yet heard of any other hail-assault on any group of animals.

Just sounds too implausible to me (unless the hail was the size of baseballs that day weighing in at 2 pounds each ......?...what's the singular for hail? Hail-ettes? Hail-drops? )

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
This is when I really get annoyed with these folks:

A rash of conspiracy theories floating have been floating around the Internet after as many as 3,000 blackbirds rained down on New Year's Eve revelers in Beebe, Ark., and the mass die-off in Louisiana three days later.

When they say something like this in an article, it means go along with the official line or you're a looney, and on the fringes of sanity.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

This is the biggest lie I have ever heard and this guy should have been fired.

Power lines usually have 3 phases up at the top of the post which are isolated by huge insulators which keep them seperated.

A bird can fly up and touch any one of thse phases and no problems that is my the birds go on them you dolt. You have to touch both phases together whick would require them to stech there wings very far to touch them both .

Impossible.

Lets see if I remeber correctly.

1 inche per kv in atmosphere so how many kv are in those lines a couple of thousand Kilo volts.

This is impossible.

Usuall birds land on the lines and stay on them for heat as usually when there are weak connections they create heat due to poor conductance.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Don't birds have magnetite concentrated in their beaks? It's thought that's how they navigate their way. Maybe some kind of extreme electromagnetic disturbance disrupted their navigation, but in a big way, and they became totally disorientated. Did not some people on the ground say that the birds were hitting cars and rooves etc, and generally flying low, why did this guy bother with cable theory at all. It seems the same applies to fish as well,

news.nationalgeographic.com...
edit on 31-1-2011 by smurfy because: Add link.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

It is ridicules. They really take people for morons. We all have basic knowledge of electricity and how it works. Grounding etc ... Makes you wonder how far they will take this before they say hey, the earth is changing and here is what's going on ..

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

i totally agree with human alien this is a big sack of bull # i have been studying this subject since it has come up a month ago i have been reading on birds migratory paths and how they fallow them. now birds fallow the same path every year generation after generation so wouldn't it be safe to say that the birds fallow magnetic compass in there head same with marine animals so if the magnetic pole has shifted wouldnt it throw the birds off ??? i think so but this is only my hypothesis and since all i can do is research i have no real evidence other then common sense or in this case the lack there of so these birds (witch isnt the only ones dieing ) are dieing because they went off track and because so they got lost simple easy and as for the probable reason to this jerk off lacour saying that they ran into power lines com on they sit on the damn things all day i've seen birds hit power lines dosent do # the only other "explanation" conected wit power lines is a short and birds got electrocuted BUT (big butt lol) it would have only effected a few not 500 because when a power line shorts out it dose so for 5.2 secs not enough time for 500 birds to die so there u have it folks take it or leave it its up too u
wow look at my eyes lol

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

ok the birds were not found under just power lines if u watch the videos on the matter like on youtube and such u will see that the birds are all over not just in one particular spot and to assume so would just be dumd look at the evidence and if that is said cause wat about all the other mass animal deaths there is simply no evidence to prove anything

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I agree with Arbitrageur, that the scenario given is not necessarily the right one, but it is neither an improbable explanation, nor is it a nefarious smokescreen.

Millions of birds are killed through collisions with powerlines each year. It has been estimated, that in the Netherlands each year 500,000 to 1,000,000 birds are killed through collisions with powerlines (see 4.2). Deadly collisions usually happen during nighttime.
wcd.coe.int...

The dead birds which were found in Louisiana were red-winged blackbirds and starlings. Both species are gregarious and often flock together. Starlings can form swarms of up to 1.5 million individuals. When they fly in their sphere-like formations in the evening hours, they fly fast enough, that a collision with a static object like a powerline can hurt or kill them.

I have often watched starling swarms during dusk. Sometimes, they continue to fly even after nightfall. During their impressive aerial manoeuvres starlings avoid hitting each other and I have never seen them hitting a static object. But this is their behaviour under normal conditions.

A sudden threat can turn a tranquil crowd of people into a panic-stricken stampede. I find it quite possible, that a sudden perceived threat (like for example the horn of a passing truck or an incoming train) can frighten a swarm to alter it's typical behaviour. People have been crushed to death by mindless scared crowds, birds might have been frightened to alter their normal flight path.

Here is a beautiful video showing the swarming behaviour of starlings.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Genuinely asking here.

suppose this:

came across a junction where high tension wires are moored to a tower, is it not possible that given the density of the birds, that the current could arc trough the mass of bodies from the ones that contact the wires to the ones closest to the tower, electrocuting a large number of them as the current races to ground?

Just asking...
edit on 31-1-2011 by laterallateral because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by laterallateral

I don't see how that's possible, and besides, if they were electrocuted like that they'd be likely to have telltale burn marks which wasn't reported...but you're on the right track with the density comment.

With the density of that flock, flying in complete darkness and startled by a loud noise, I see no reason why they can't run into something like the power lines, guy wires, poles, etc. That's a pretty dense mass of birds and by the time they realize they're about to run into it they might not be able to get out of each other's way.

In the daytime like that they'd avoid the collision, but suddenly startled at night, I don't see why not. I'm not convinced that's what happened, I'm just saying it's possible, not impossible like some on the thread are claiming. Anyone denying that possibility hasn't made arguments to say why it's impossible other than they think it can't happen. Maybe it's not what happened, but I see no reason why it CAN'T happen.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

It helps to understand how different animals behave differently in groups.

Don't we all?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I don't think they have used that much Microwave energy on us yet as to believe something as stupid as that..What's wrong with these idiots???? I'm going to do a test on each of their brains when we bring them down..I believe their machines are backfiring on them....

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
The only problem I personally have with the hail-theory is, we've always had hail. Ever since Earth was born. Yet, we only recently had massive bird/animals-deaths in such a small time frame.
Which makes me have to ask: what ELSE, is recently new to us?
What set of data are you looking at?

Are you sure it's new?

Or did you just start hearing about it?

Here's the data set I'm looking at and it doesn't look so new to me:

www.nwhc.usgs.gov...

And I'm sure we can find plenty more before that too.

Let's compare sources, where's yours?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
What, no swamp gas involved???

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Oh look, they're flying right into a power line and not dying

"3,000 blackbirds rained down on New Year's Eve revelers in Beebe, Ark., and the mass die-off in Louisiana three days later."

Those must have hit power lines too.
Maybe the fish did as well...you know how those pesky fish are always flying around.
Maybe all the dead cattle managed to mosey on over to the nearest power line, also.

Nah, it must be the fireworks cause we all know how many thousands of birds are slaughtered every fourth of july thanks to our careless explosions in the sky!

Come on, you seem smarter than this. This isn't just a series of freak accidents. The government even admitted to poisoning birds because they were #ting in other animals food and somehow causing a "risk"

www.dailymail.co.uk...

USE YOUR MIND HERE.

Birds would hear a train coming long before it got close enough to "scare" them.
edit on 31-1-2011 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

It is equally ridiculous that it is HAARP. HAARP produces radiation such as radio and/or microwaves, it might even create EM pulses, and maybe even weather modification, but it does not produce blunt force trauma! If they were microwaved to death, then I would believe HAARP, but not trauma.

HAARP doesn't cause blunt force trauma but falling from the sky to the ground does....

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by apodictic

Oh look, they're flying right into a power line and not dying

I assume you are referring to the birds in the photograph of that massive flock (the one which totally defied your supposition that flocks were not that big yet you ignored completely in your reply) as the ones that did not die. I am curious to know how is it your able to determine that no birds died based upon the information in that photograph?

"3,000 blackbirds rained down on New Year's Eve revelers in Beebe, Ark., and the mass die-off in Louisiana three days later."

Those must have hit power lines too.
Maybe the fish did as well...you know how those pesky fish are always flying around.
Maybe all the dead cattle managed to mosey on over to the nearest power line, also.

I am curious as to what these incidents have to do with the discussion of the dead birds in the OP?

Nah, it must be the fireworks cause we all know how many thousands of birds are slaughtered every fourth of july thanks to our careless explosions in the sky!

I know from personal experience that fireworks can cause death in birds both captive and wild. Regardless of this fact your introduction of an explanation of another die off event is irrelevant to the OP.

Come on, you seem smarter than this.

So if I feel that the OP is reasonable I am considered to be less intelligent than you? That is the implication you are making here. Why would I be less intelligent than you are for having a different viewpoint than you?

You must also take into consideration the location. LARGE flocks of birds are likely to be found in more desolate areas of the country, not next to train tracks. They would have heard the train coming long before it was even close to them and gotten out of there. There's no way a "train scared them"

Assumptions galore! Large flocks of birds exist anywhere from cities to countryside. That was also in the information that you ignored regarding flock size. You are correct that the birds would hear the approach of a train; but let us assume (I am going to since you did) that a noise introduced in the background and building into a louder noise over a period of time may not startle an animal at all. If the train were nearing an intersection and sounded its whistle it may have startled them though.

If you truly feel there is something sinister afoot in relation to animal deaths then you must surely recognize that fact that each incident must be evaluated individually and without any other case causing bias in that investigation. It is only by a non biased, individually based, scientifically valid investigation occurs that any link between these events can be established. This process can also lend to the validity of any distinction between normal animal die off events and those of the supposed sinister origin.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dilligaf28

I assume you are referring to the birds in the photograph of that massive flock (the one which totally defied your supposition that flocks were not that big yet you ignored completely in your reply) as the ones that did not die. I am curious to know how is it your able to determine that no birds died based upon the information in that photograph?

Okay I was proven wrong, was I supposed to try to defend it after I was proven wrong? We'd be seeing hundreds more bird deaths EVERYWHERE if they were to die by hitting power lines.

I am curious as to what these incidents have to do with the discussion of the dead birds in the OP?

Maybe because it's from the article posted in the OP? Did you even read it? Why are you here?

I know from personal experience that fireworks can cause death in birds both captive and wild. Regardless of this fact your introduction of an explanation of another die off event is irrelevant to the OP.

Yep I suppose they could hit a few, but not hundreds. Link me to an article where fireworks killed hundreds of birds.

So if I feel that the OP is reasonable I am considered to be less intelligent than you? That is the implication you are making here. Why would I be less intelligent than you are for having a different viewpoint than you?

Yep. You would be less intelligent due to the lack of rationality.

Assumptions galore! Large flocks of birds exist anywhere from cities to countryside. That was also in the information that you ignored regarding flock size. You are correct that the birds would hear the approach of a train; but let us assume (I am going to since you did) that a noise introduced in the background and building into a louder noise over a period of time may not startle an animal at all. If the train were nearing an intersection and sounded its whistle it may have startled them though.

I edited my post before you posted this because I realized where I may have been wrong.

If you truly feel there is something sinister afoot in relation to animal deaths then you must surely recognize that fact that each incident must be evaluated individually and without any other case causing bias in that investigation. It is only by a non biased, individually based, scientifically valid investigation occurs that any link between these events can be established. This process can also lend to the validity of any distinction between normal animal die off events and those of the supposed sinister origin.

There has been no "scientifically valid investigation"
Birds were found dead next to train tracks underneath a power line, so they say a train scared the birds and hit the power line. What is scientific about that?

I also like the fact that you ignored how the government admitted to poisoning other animals, and it's just a coincidence that it's all taking place in the same relative area of the country.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join