It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birds likely flew into power lines

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I have to second that. In order for them to be electrocuted they would need to be touching two wires simultaneously, or a wire and a pole, or a wire and the ground, etc. You get the idea. Not buying this whole power line thing. They may have been on the power line when they died and then fell, but the power line isn't what killed them

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I suppose I will also add a different perspective. Maybe they were special birds who liked to show off and were flying in a very compact triangle formation in which each and every bird was touching one another. Maybe the back of the formation started flying low and didnt realize they were actually flying 1 mm away from the ground, since it was dark. Maybe this happened at the same time the front part of the formation was still flying high and proud. Maybe the front half hit the power lines, while still all of them touching each other, and the back half were close enough to the ground for the electrical current to be grounded. Thus instantaneously simultaneously electrocuting each and every one of them.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
go into a room with two doors which are opposite each other
tie a string tightly from door handle to door handle
sit in a chair across the room at right angles to, and facing the string.

throw a marble at the string.
repreat

after a week PM me and let me know if you have hit the string with the marble yet.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
.....so living here in Arkansas were thousands of birds and even fish just decide to die for no other explanation other than "blunt trauma" or "fireworks" or none given at all i decided to conduct an experiment on my own today....next time i will video!......So there i was splitting wood in preperation for an approaching Winter Storm when i found myself starring into the sky as thousands of black birds flew overhead and began to land in the surrounding trees. Curious and not at all satisfied with answers or results of studies on the cause of mass death of birds in my home state or anywhere else for the matter, I took measures into my own hands......so with a leftover stash of fireworks i began an all out shock and awe type assault to see the birds reaction, with one big boom from an artillery shell, hundreds of black birds shot out of the tree all in unison, as a flock, perfectly orchestrated....not one dead or injured bird! Hell! not even a feather! What does this mean? Im not the smartest man on the planet but unless you can catch a bird with your bare hands and strap some fireworks to it im gonna go ahead and say fireworks dont kill thousands of birds like "they" said it did...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
3. Even if they can't see while they're flying, just because it is dark. They are still not going to be grounded.

Yes its possible they can get electrocuted from the transformer,
Who said anything about them getting electrocuted?

The human equivalent would be skiing into a tree, it can kill you and has nothing to do with getting electrocuted, and birds are way more fragile than humans.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
....calm down folks! nothing to worry about here.....the fish are safe to eat!.....and yes thats what was reported here locally on the news lastnight!.....all that comes to mind is WTF?....followed by a prompt no thanks...
edit on 31-1-2011 by rinowilli because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

touche'

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

No, the equivalent would be 500 humans skiing into a tree.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by apodictic

No, the equivalent would be 500 humans skiing into a tree.
Yes if Humans grouped in a giant flock of over 10,000 people and were startled by a loud nose in the dark.

But humans don't flock the way birds do, and they don't stampede the way cows do (although at some football games where the crowds get a little too excited I guess that point could be debated):

Dozens of cows stampede off cliff

It helps to understand how different animals behave differently in groups.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Where are you getting 10,000 from? Come on now have you ever seen 10,000 birds? Flocks are not that big.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Just because i stuck my foot in my mouth (TWICE!! lol), doesn't mean that this makes any more sense. Its still 500 birds being knocked out dead cold by a wire. The so-called authorities in this matter, have had 4 weeks to determine the cause. This is a very vague and weak conclusion, especially after the amount of time they have had to determine a cause.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by apodictic

Where are you getting 10,000 from? Come on now have you ever seen 10,000 birds? Flocks are not that big.
I've seen way more than 10,000 in a flock, especially European starlings which was one of the species found dead:

European Starlings

Flock size is highly variable, with huge flocks providing a spectacular sight and sound usually occurring near roosts...
Very large roosts, exceptionally up to 1.5 million birds, can form in city centres, woodlands, or reedbeds, causing problems with their droppings. ....
Flocks of anything from five to fifty thousand Starlings form....

There are 200 million in North America descended from 60 to 100 birds [1] released in Central Park, New York by Mr.Eugene Schieffelin.

Given a very large roost can have 1.5 million and a flock can have 5000-50,000 I thought 10,000 was relatively conservative. How many do you guess are in this flock?

Not only that, but there are 4 species of birds listed so there could have been as many as 4 different flocks involved:

www.nwhc.usgs.gov...
The January 3 2011 event appears to be the one referenced in the article.

edit on 31-1-2011 by Arbitrageur because: fix typo

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Well put yourself in the shoes of the people doing the investigation. what would your answer be?

Maybe their guess is wrong but it's just a guess based on what they found and they admit that. I'm not saying I believe it myself, I'm just not as quick to dismiss it as some people who don't seem to have good reasons to dismiss it.

I admit it's entirely likely the explanation is something else, but unless you have better evidence for the alternate explanation, that's got the same problem, it's just speculation too. We may never know the true cause with any certainty, though they do list "trauma" as the cause of death. We just don't know what caused the trauma. Maybe it wasn't a power line but I'm still waiting for a better explanation from anyone else.

If they really were found mostly under a power line, I don't think you can ignore that completely in any alternate explanation, can you?
edit on 31-1-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I thought everyone knew that all of these bird deaths were caused by some form of government by now. does anyone really believe these stupid spin stories. Does the gov think they can trick us that easy Ive hunted birds for 20 years some of them can dodge bullets the birds know relatively where are flying dangers are when they roost they would just fly strait up before flying into powerlines.

I hope ats hasnt been infilitrated with media spin idiots trying to sway our minds.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Star for common sense! Birds can't touch both lines or ground at the same time. No way to get electrocuted.
How many thousands of birds have you seen roost on a line.

The report of high wind however, could have caused the lines to become close enough for electrocution to occur.
Highly unlikely, but possible.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

To put myself in the shoes of the people doing the investigation, I can't. Also I do not know what my answer would be. It is a likely possibility though, that the answer they came up with is different from the answers that we are being told. I do not know. You are correct, it is speculation, but that doesn't mean that I will be able to believe this conclusion that we are being told. My tiny brain just cannot accept this answer.

I agree with you 100% on this.

We may never know the true cause with any certainty

All of the animal die-offs in mid December throughout early January is actually what led me to this site.
For that, I am glad I found ATS. I was continuing to search for the test results that I was led to believe would be coming. I will admit, lately I haven't been trying very hard anymore to find these results, because for me, it just seemed to continue to lead to dead ends. Maybe more answers will come out within the next few weeks, but as of now it seems to me that with all of the reports coming in earlier in the month, most of it has seemed to have just disappeared. Along with every report, they mentioned where they sent of specimens to be tested. And for most of those, that's just where it seemed to end, as far as the public is concerned. Is it possible that some were just flukes and/or a normal occurrence? Yes, its possible. I don't know, and may never know. You are correct and i'm done rambling.

reply to post by CHEDwick

lol, thanks for the star but you can have it back. I thought it was common sense too, until it was pointed out to me that the article didn't actually state electrocution. Believe me, I looked through many articles on this case after that, all of which said the exact same thing, but I kept looking hoping to find just one that mentioned electrocution so that I wouldn't seem like such the fool for "ASSuming" something.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Absolutely zero chance that several birds hit a powerline hard enough to cause "trauma." It could not happen to 5, let alone 500! Birds fly in close proximity at dizzying speeds all the time, it surely isn't the first time they have been startled from a roost in the middle of the night. Also, a powerline is very thin, it would take an extreme amount of bad luck for even one bird to fly into a power line.

It is equally ridiculous that it is HAARP. HAARP produces radiation such as radio and/or microwaves, it might even create EM pulses, and maybe even weather modification, but it does not produce blunt force trauma! If they were microwaved to death, then I would believe HAARP, but not trauma.

It was not a truck, because a truck would have pulled over and stopped, and a driver would have come forward by now.

The Hail explanation was plausible.....I don't believe it, but at least it was plausible.

The oddest, but in my opinion most likely scenario was a UFO or military craft that was either moving at an extremely high speed close to the ground, or was so well camouflaged that the birds could not detect it and flew right into it. That could explain them being startled and having blunt force trauma and the shoddy explanations we are being asked to choke down without a drink.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by amy2x
"

State Wildlife Veterinarian Jim LaCour is full of it. He's making a wild guess.

Is that what he was doing
cause MY guess is he was making an ass of himself.
Now, that would explain why he was so full of it!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

It is equally ridiculous that it is HAARP. HAARP produces radiation such as radio and/or microwaves, it might even create EM pulses, and maybe even weather modification, but it does not produce blunt force trauma! If they were microwaved to death, then I would believe HAARP, but not trauma.

You're not thinking that scenario totally out. If HAARP triggered an EM pulse and zapped out a group of animals (throughout the world, throughout that 2/3-week time frame) then it is very likely the birds were perched, zapped, tried to flee and fell to the ground.

To me that makes the most sense and would help explain why all these animal die-offs were localized and why seemingly, only a specific group was singled out at the time.

If 100,000 fish were swimming in a group/school at a given time and HAARP zapped them, that too would explain the isolation of only a specific group of fish at the time.

I feel HAARP might have been helping or trying to thwart the magnetic field effects right after that lunar solstice eclipse on 12-21-10 knowing it had the potential of throwing Earth off a notch or two.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

OK, "maybe" HAARP could have disrupted their navigational senses and maybe they crashed into one another, or the ground or something, but I think it would have left some type of evidence, and I think there would have been reports of erratic behavior of the birds. BUT, I will your scenario a slight possibility. It is just as likely as Hail, or as my theory of a UFO or military aircraft.

One thing for sure, there were a couple of bird deaths that were extremely unusual and unexplained. Maybe some of the others got overhyped and we lost focus, but this case is highly unusual!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join