It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Coast Senator Speaks Out After Obama Doesn’t Mention BP Oil Spill During State of the Union

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Less than a year after the oil spill that killed 11 rig workers and did untold damage to wildlife and beaches along the Gulf Coast, many who watched President Obama's State of the Union address were surprised by his decision not to mention the largest offshore oil spill in U.S. history.

Speaking Sunday to Fox News, Gulf Coast Senator David Vitter (R-La.) said he "wasn't shocked" but was "certainly disappointed" by the exclusion. Vitter is strongly against the administration's moratorium on Gulf Coast drilling, noting that the "shut down of activity in the Gulf has been very, very hurtful for Louisiana and the economy at large."

I can imagine how much money has been lost from all sides due to this disaster.

In light of the developing situation in Egypt, Vitter says gas prices will only increase from the national average, which currently stands at $3.10 per gallon in the U.S. "Whether its because of the Suez Canal or just world conditions" Vitter says Americans are fed up with the government's failure to utilize "our domestic energy resources" and that drilling policies need to be reexamined.

I don't personally see gas prices doing anything but rising in the near future. It is getting harder and harder to fill the gas tank.

Vitter isn't alone in his desire to revamp U.S. drilling policies. Louisiana Congressman Jeff Landry (R) is also calling on President Obama to allow domestic drilling in the wake of unfolding events in Egypt, saying in part, "I want to see Coastal Louisianans allowed back to work finding and recovering our domestic energy sources." Landry also said, "allowing production to occur in the Gulf...will help alleviate the economic crisis of a Suez Canal shutdown and prevent Americans from pay[ing] 5 dollars a gallon for gas."

I am all for alleviating the possibility of $5 a gallon gasoline. I think the man makes sense. He is talking about this before it happens. Though I don't think it will do any good.

politics.blogs.foxnews.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Ya I'm not seeing anything on the news even about it. I asked a relative if she knew why they were not showing any more news on it and she firmly took the position that they have cleaned it up, there is no more leaking and that there is nothing to report any more

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
people believe the media and are simply sheep...... out of sight, out of mind

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Funny how these senators problem is with the moratorium on drilling, not with the oversight inherent in not mentioning the country's worse ecological disaster ever. MY problem with his omitting the spill in his speech has to do with an "out-of-sight-out-of-mind" approach to this ongoing problem. The senators in question make me ill. They should be discussing the extortion represented by the Gulf Coast Claims Facility's offer of five thousand dollars in "final payment" for agreeing to not sue BP. Really, everyone should be discussing how an "independent" agency, tasked with making real reparations for affected parties is actually covering BP's bottom line.
For shame.
edit on 30-1-2011 by joechip because: spelling

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Its been very obvious to me they dropped the BP Disaster like a bomb and want it to stay down. All you see now are commericals to come to the gulf on vacation sponsored by none other than BP. Disgusting when we hear reports online about crude oil being in the blood of the gulf coast people.

I am sure Obama's speech writer forgot to add this and Obama didn't want to remind him. When will we learn that Obama is nothing more than a spokesperson - he is not making the decisions for this country - he just approves what is suggested by the undercover elites - wake up!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Obama didn't want it brought up because it is a big black spot on his presidency. If he did bring it up every American would remember what a joke of a president he is. I haven't forgotten but many do forget. As for the 2 senators Why should Obama bring it up. They need to be yelling at the top of there lungs for everybody to hear what is actually happening down there I mean all the time not just when Obama speaks. I mean come on they live in the Gulf part time. Why aren't they on the news every night talking about it.
edit on 30-1-2011 by SanTanManAz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SanTanManAz
Obama didn't want it brought up because it is a big black spot on his presidency. If he did bring it up every American would remember what a joke of a president he is. I haven't forgotten but many do forget. As for the 2 senators Why should Obama bring it up. They need to be yelling at the top of there lungs for everybody to hear what is actually happening down there I mean all the time not just when Obama speaks. I mean come on they live in the Gulf part time. Why aren't they on the news every night talking about it.
edit on 30-1-2011 by SanTanManAz because: (no reason given)

I guess this goes to the media being completely controlled and not fee to follow news that is important. I know that is obvious and needs not be repeated.... or it does. If the senators request air time to speak out about it, is the media going to bite? I thought that the media follows sensational news to draw viewers in. What is happening down there is pretty darn sensational if you ask me I am dieing to hear about it. The media should be seeking the senator out!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

What is happening down there is pretty darn sensational if you ask me I am dieing to hear about it. The media should be seeking the senator out!
reply to post by tom goose

To hear them call for more drilling?! Thats what you would get apparently. No attention to the plight of residents (except the plight of oil workers, laid off) No attention to the fraudulent GGCF and its attempt to bribe the local affected residents with a measley 5k (that they desperately need) for their right to sue. No attention to the dangerously high levels of toxic chemicals found in locals.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

No, just more of the short-sighted "drill, baby, drill!" we heard so much of BEFORE the spill...these senators have nothing to say that we need to hear.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Its been very obvious to me they dropped the BP Disaster like a bomb and want it to stay down. All you see now are commericals to come to the gulf on vacation sponsored by none other than BP. Disgusting when we hear reports online about crude oil being in the blood of the gulf coast people.

I am sure Obama's speech writer forgot to add this and Obama didn't want to remind him. When will we learn that Obama is nothing more than a spokesperson - he is not making the decisions for this country - he just approves what is suggested by the undercover elites - wake up!

Of course the Gulf spill is ignored. The speech could have started thusly:

"I realize that we are a people on the brink of complete revulsion toward big government, and that those of us responsible for this not inaccurate perception are, at a moment's notice, ready to run and hide...but not before we turn the key to ignite the destruction of our enemies, who are as many in number as those NOT on the government dole..."

No, instead it was a "we must 'win' another victory" dance number.

Look, when you're that crooked, no amount of frame straightening is going to make you straight again, therefore, they simply seize the initiative to embark on more tyranny. We cannot 'win' the future with yesterday's government...or however he put it. In other words, you thought what we did with 'government' was bad yesterday? Ha. Stick around. We'll make that little thought just vanish. We've no plans to stop...watch as we take over and censor the internet, force a licensing scheme on the users of free thought? Was it bono who said to the effect that 'you cannot tell me that with all this technology, that we cannot regulate the internet?'

Yeah, he made fascism seem like some noble challenge. Don't they all?

new topics

top topics

join