It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Jazeera English Blacked Out Across Most Of U.S.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Thank you for your contribution re the status of Al-Jazeera. I also like the rest of your post. This part also holds truths.

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Also people can drop the BS Mubarikis a US puppet installed by us. Mubarik came to power when Islamic radicals assasinated President Anwar Sadat for making peace with Israel.

Its a pro democracy movement by the people. Hopefully they will be more succesful than their IRanian counterparts.

Much happening in that region. May it end with long lasting good results for the people and their countries.

I completely agree... I hope the Egyptian, as well as Nigerian, Tunisian, Saudi and Syrian people have their voices heard, both in the Middle East, as well as western countries. A pro democracy movement by citizens who are tired of everyone else running their affairs.

I hope they can pull this off.. It might be one of the best chances the world has for peace.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
watching now

english.aljazeera.net...

it seems a lot of present or former US officials are being interviewed by Al-Jazeera !

or is this all part of a Hollywood show ?

does the US media have any influence or financial interests in A.J. ?

I dont think they do, but it does make sense. If you were Egyptian, or Syrian, or Iranian and you wanted to find information about the United States you have a few choices, none of which are going to be CNN International or FoxNews.

In order to get the American message out (so to speak) it makes sense to use a media outlet that is accepted by the people of the area you are wanting to get the message to.

Take a US politician, have them interviewed with the exact same questions, one interview by Al Jazeera and one by MSNBC, and air both in the Middle East.

Chances are, anyone who watches the MSNBC interview will question the motives or legtimacy of the information, where as those watching Al Jazeera might give it a little more thought or trust.

A perfect example is PressTV from Iran. I despise that media source as nothing more than Iranian Government Propoganda. To the people of Iran though who dont have amny other options, they trust it (and we see it here in the forums on occasion as well as a source).

All politics are local and because of that, so are the trusted media outlets.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by apodictic

Presidents don't control the corporate media. If anything, I'd say it would more likely be the opposite. Bringing whatever personal hatred one may have against a president into this discussion is an insult to the intelligence and a disservice to everyone.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

www.wnd.com...

k buddy.

www.cnsnews.com...

And if you think that's all they control, you are very, very ignorant.
edit on 31-1-2011 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

I'm more than well aware of the smack talk as well as the interpretations and spin. Attempting to control and controlling are two very different beasts. When some of these very corporations also control officials in government and their goals appear to to be the government...well, you get the picture. But you are free to choose your own reality and words. My statement stands.
edit on 1/31/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Good for you

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I find the people being interviewed are just like me. They are intelligent, desire fairness, and justice, for all of the people. I find this a very noble effort.

I agree, I haven't seen this aspect of the crisis in Egypt. Al Jazeera has a very interesting article about a certain speech in from the US in Cairo, regarding democracy.

Very interesting, suggest everyone view and read it.

"President Obama, say the D-Word."

AJ Watch Now!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

reply to post by purplemer

You do understand that the reason Al Jazeera stopped broadcasting is because the Egyptian Government yanked their broadcast license. Al Jazeera got in trouble by the Egyptian Ministry of whatever for interviewing people who had been injured and the families who had members killed in the protests.

Al Jazeera has been accused by several MIDDLE EAST governments, not the US or Western, of antagonizing the protesters and "inciting riots" or whatever BS reason they want to use.

Western Media continues to report from Egypt, and their are pro Egyptian groups here in the States who have marched outside large cities to show solidarity with the Egyptian people. Our Government has called on Mubarik to respect the rights of those who are peacfully protesting, we have suspended aid to Egypt (about 3 Billion a year), and Western Media has been interviewing protest leaders so they cn get their message out to the World.

Why oh why do you want to continallu lay blame at our doorstep before finding out all the facts? Also people can drop the BS Mubarikis a US puppet installed by us. Mubarik came to power when Islamic radicals assasinated President Anwar Sadat for making peace with Israel.

Its a pro democracy movement by the people. Hopefully they will be more succesful than their IRanian counterparts.

Al Jezeera have not stopped broadcasting. They have had there licence revoked and the plg pulled. But they are still there and they refuse to go.
Yes they have been accused of inciting the riots. If you want to join those that have blamed them for incting the protestess in algeria, tunisia, lebanon and egypt. You are welcome too, but please remember those that are blaming Al Jezeera are a bunch of dictators that are all in bed together.

Speaking to an Arabic man in my community he is saying with passion "everyone understands the only reason Mubarak is there is because of US support!" Secretary of State Clinton has yet to say that Mubarak's intransigence will bear any "consequences," diplomatic-speak which means your $1.3 billion in US military aid is in jeopardy.
Where do you think the tear gas comes from that is used on the public: made in the usa....
www.dailykos.com...

it is worth considering the role that the US plays in the ongoing human rights abuses in Egypt and what the long-term implications of US policy might be.

thefastertimes.com...

I hope you know thisis the case. The western powers particulary the usa have a history of toppling demcoracies and insterting dictors. A dictator is easier to control (^^ sometimes) Egypt is of importance to Usa and Isreal because Egypt helps Isreal with the blockade of Palastine.
For a list concering some of the CIA involvment with supporting dictators and overthrowing democrcacies.
Them boy have been all over the world doing this. It is well documented and not in disputed. What makes you think they would not do it again?
www.sodahead.com...
No your government has done nothing to support the protesters, they are paying lip service to the world.
The two leaders came on tv ome after the other and obama refuse to directly critize there leader. The same has happened into the uk. They are working together and obama is getting a lot of cirtizim on egypt right now

kx
edit on 31-1-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Presidents don't control the corporate media. If anything, I'd say it would more likely be the opposite. Bringing whatever personal hatred one may have against a president into this discussion is an insult to the intelligence and a disservice to everyone.

The world’s media is 96% owned by just six Jewish companies

www.altermedia.info...

maybe something to do with it....

kx

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by apodictic

www.wnd.com...

k buddy.

www.cnsnews.com...

And if you think that's all they control, you are very, very ignorant.
edit on 31-1-2011 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

None of us are ignorant and we all are. We are all learning and we all come from life from different places and with different experiences. We all have something to give and something to learn...

kx

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Five Al Jazeera journalists arrested in the #Egyptian capital, Cairo

12am uk time....

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Chinese censors are apparently blocking online discussion and sanitising news reports about the unrest in Egypt, in a sign of official unease that the uprising could fuel calls for reform at home.

www.rnw.nl...

looks like everyone is at it now...the chinese government are scared of common revolt too.....
I wonder when it will be there turn...

kx

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The censorship of information in the U.S.A. is pretty astounding, almost more astounding though is that some people refuse to see to what extent it happens.

Soon after 9/11 I had a 3 month contract in the southern U.S. I was totally amazed as to the lack of access to "real" information. However, when discussing this with most (not all mind you, as is proven day in and day out here on ATS) people, they would get angry and start spewing talking points like, "that is impossible in the land of the free!".
Being aware of it, and making sure to get some balance from independent internet sources is crucial, and that goes for every country.

Ever since the "fairness doctrine" was repealed by Reagan, news has become less and less based on actual information. Sad, because a free press, and access to it, are essential for democracy.

the Billmeister

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Since the change over to digital broadcast television, one of the public broadcasting stations added 2 extra channels. One of those (MHz TV) is broadcasting Al Jazeera English right now. I've been watching for a while and the coverage of the protests is great! It's on WGVU, Grand Valley University, Grand Rapids Michigan. Anyone around here can tune in to the free broadcast.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Al Jezeera have not stopped broadcasting. They have had there licence revoked and the plg pulled. But they are still there and they refuse to go.

When they had their broadcast license yanked by the Egyptian Ministry they started running older video clips instead of live feeds. A few American media outlets were actually using Al Jazeera as a source for info, and talking about it. I never said they left, I simply pointed out they had their license yanked.

Yes they have been accused of inciting the riots. If you want to join those that have blamed them for incting the protestess in algeria, tunisia, lebanon and egypt. You are welcome too, but please remember those that are blaming Al Jezeera are a bunch of dictators that are all in bed together.

Or, respectfully, you could take a minute to read my response and understand it. I pointed out that Middle East Governments were accusing Al Jazeera of inciting / sparking etc. I pointed out it was BS, as in the Governments making that claim will most likely be the next targets on the list (Saudi Arabia, Syria, etc) and in an effort to deflect they are blaming Al Jazeera for the protests instead of the real reason - The people are fed up.

Speaking to an Arabic man in my community he is saying with passion "everyone understands the only reason Mubarak is there is because of US support!" Secretary of State Clinton has yet to say that Mubarak's intransigence will bear any "consequences," diplomatic-speak which means your $1.3 billion in US military aid is in jeopardy.
Where do you think the tear gas comes from that is used on the public: made in the usa....
www.dailykos.com...

I think you may have quoted another person here. Part of the above is mine, and I am not sure where the other half of this paragraph came from. However I will answer. Mubarak is President because President Sadat was assisnated for making peace with Israel. Mubarak was Vice President at the time, and was wounded in the attempt.

We supply Egypt with aid (Military / Domestic / Etc) up to and including tear gas. Would it make any difference if it were made in South Africa, Russia or China? The intended use is to disperse large crowds with minimal force. President Obama and Secratary Clinton both have gone on TV, calling for the Egytian Government to respect the peaceful protests and listen to the people.

Aid has been suspended, and Obama has spoken directly to Mubarik to get him to understand whats coming down the road. The majority of the US govrernment is calling for calm and for Mubarik to respect the will of the people.

it is worth considering the role that the US plays in the ongoing human rights abuses in Egypt and what the long-term implications of US policy might be.

thefastertimes.com...

I hope you know thisis the case. The western powers particulary the usa have a history of toppling demcoracies and insterting dictors. A dictator is easier to control (^^ sometimes) Egypt is of importance to Usa and Isreal because Egypt helps Isreal with the blockade of Palastine.

Well number 1 it takes 2 to tango. Yes the US has supported rulers who are friendly towards our Government, just as France, Britiain, Russia, China, Syria, Iran Lebanon Iraq have all done. Simply pointing out the US and no one else does not automatically place all blame at our doorstep. There is enough stupidity to go around.

You really need to get off this kick of yours regarding the US. At the very least do some independant research.. please. As far as Mubarik goes, you can thanks the Islamic Brotherhood for putting him in power, not the US. Do we want to discuss the Hezbollah / Syrian / Iranian involvement in the assasination of the Lebanese Prime Minister?

I dont deny the US has motives for its foreign policy, just as every other country does. The manner in which you make your argument though is akin to throwing boulders in a glass house.

For a list concering some of the CIA involvment with supporting dictators and overthrowing democrcacies.
Them boy have been all over the world doing this. It is well documented and not in disputed. What makes you think they would not do it again?
www.sodahead.com...
No your government has done nothing to support the protesters, they are paying lip service to the world.
The two leaders came on tv ome after the other and obama refuse to directly critize there leader. The same has happened into the uk. They are working together and obama is getting a lot of cirtizim on egypt right now

Gee, can I post a list of atrocities vcommited by the Governments of Iran (just how many minors have they slaughtered so far this year?), or maybe IRaq under Hussein (gassed his own people), or Iran again when they made children hold hands and walk through a minefield to clear it for their troops to advance. How about we look at Hamas or Hezbollah using civilians as human shields solely for the purpose of driving up a citizen bodycount to use against Israel.

The reason Obama has not directly criticised Mubarak is simple.

Its an INTERNAL MATTER OF EGYPT.

We get bitched at when we interfere, we get bitched at when we stay out of it.

Please make it easy for us and just say what it is you want to see from the US on this.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Al-Jazeera has never been an option in American cable packages or broadcasts. There wasn't a substantial enough Arabic-speaking population in the US to warrant it, and by the time AJE started gaining ground, Americans had already been thoroughly poisoned against it by MurdochCorp, which portrayed Al-Jazeera as "the terrorist network"

Has squat to do with US politics, has to do with US corporate warfare.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Al-Jazeera has never been an option in American cable packages or broadcasts. There wasn't a substantial enough Arabic-speaking population in the US to warrant it, and by the time AJE started gaining ground, Americans had already been thoroughly poisoned against it by MurdochCorp, which portrayed Al-Jazeera as "the terrorist network"

Yes indeed, politics IS corporate warfare, and warfare IS corporate politics.

the Billmeister

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I thought it had more to do with the fact the people living in the suburbs of Atlanta were more concerned about whats going on in their country and neck of the woods, and less concerned about whats going on in the suburbs of damascus or tehran.

Wanna show me what channel Foxnews or MSNBC are listed on in Arab countries?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I thought it had more to do with the fact the people living in the suburbs of Atlanta were more concerned about whats going on in their country and neck of the woods, and less concerned about whats going on in the suburbs of damascus or tehran.

Wanna show me what channel Foxnews or MSNBC are listed on in Arab countries?

hey bud
i thought it was more to do with the fact that the jews own something like 96 percent of the media and area against refroms in egypt..

kx

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I thought this was something that had just happened to AJE......am i mistaken?

kx

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join