It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FN P90 Replacing MP-5 anywhere?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I believe that most Spec-Ops units will not change fromt he trusty MP5 series mainly due ot the fact that the soldiers have been training with the MP5 for so long. Training is that highly developed that the weapon becomes an extention of the arm, so reflexes and snap shots are more accurate, if they were to train with the FN P90 a lot of the reflex actions will fall. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Saying that I absolutely love the P90, but it's uses should be pushed further towards in-vehicle defence.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
why do they want the MP5 changed? its a good rifle.
and frankly i duno i just prefer it to the P -90 even though its a nice rifle.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
A more valid comparison is the MP7 and the P90 as they are both small caliber weapons who have a specific entry role in mind. They are both designed for penetration of lightly armored targets (read:bullet resistan vests).

As for the sale of these items in the US, they are for military, law enforcement agencies, and dealers with a demo letter.

These are all POST SAMPLE machine guns as they were built after May 1986, there is no civilian market for these and you certainly will not find a transferable version around.

As to the MP-5, if it's a transferable MP-5 it's more like $10,000 -$13,000. If you find a transferable MP-5 that can be owned by civilians for $5,000 sell the house and buy as many as you can....you can double or tripple your money VERY quickly.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SOTII

As for the sale of these items in the US, they are for military, law enforcement agencies, and dealers with a demo letter.

These are all POST SAMPLE machine guns as they were built after May 1986, there is no civilian market for these and you certainly will not find a transferable version around.

As to the MP-5, if it's a transferable MP-5 it's more like $10,000 -$13,000. If you find a transferable MP-5 that can be owned by civilians for $5,000 sell the house and buy as many as you can....you can double or tripple your money VERY quickly.

I was referring to the ones you can purchase/own with a class 3 dealers permit with L.E letters. I was not aware you are not consider a civilian with this permit.I thought any civilian could get the class 3 permit. You are right about the transferable automatic weapons I just found a MP-5 and they want $14,500 for it what a scam. I doubt HK spends more then a thousand to produce them and you get a almost 15 times price increase.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I would imagine anyone that meets the zoning, has the time and effort, and decides to go for it and lives in a state that allows it could get their FFL, then pay their SOT (Special occupations tax) as a Class III "delaer" or Class II mfg...but once you do that, you are then considered a licensee and not really a civilian anymore.

As a SOT I get the MP-5 (name your trigger group) for about $1100. If I want the SD it's a little more, about $1900. I have not seen a post sample HK MP-5 go for $5000 (that's too much and no one would pay that).
I would guess a pre may sample might get that but it would seem they would go for a bit more...as the ATF has ruled dealers who quit can still keep their pre may samples....so maybe yeah a pre may sample MP-5 would go for about $5500-6000. but then again you wouldn't even need a letter for it...as it's a pre may sample.

Anyway...yeah the MP-5 to make costs about $600 US or so I have been told...the UMP it's new brother...about $400.

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Originally posted by SOTII

I was referring to the ones you can purchase/own with a class 3 dealers permit with L.E letters. I was not aware you are not consider a civilian with this permit.I thought any civilian could get the class 3 permit. You are right about the transferable automatic weapons I just found a MP-5 and they want $14,500 for it what a scam. I doubt HK spends more then a thousand to produce them and you get a almost 15 times price increase.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Thanks for the info SOTII
I been looking into getting my FFL and have looked into the other classes like classIII (drool) which I think is a little out of my league and since Its is a felony to obtain a Class 3 License for the purpose of enhancing your collection I think I can live without it for now. Plus my state has a nice ban list even for class 3 dealers that prevents them from purchasing new "banned guns" I think.

I would love to own a Navy trigger group MP-5 some day though

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Was just talking to someone in the know. The US Sevret Service is purchasing a good number of the p90's although it seems they may also purchase the MP7.

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Thanks for the info SOTII
I been looking into getting my FFL and have looked into the other classes like classIII (drool) which I think is a little out of my league and since Its is a felony to obtain a Class 3 License for the purpose of enhancing your collection I think I can live without it for now. Plus my state has a nice ban list even for class 3 dealers that prevents them from purchasing new "banned guns" I think.

I would love to own a Navy trigger group MP-5 some day though

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
That interesting I wonder if the secret service plans to test the both the p-90 and MP-7 and see which they perfer or If they have a role for both of them. It always seemed to me that secret service agents had alot of lean way when they chose what weapon they like to use.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Not sure but I will say the MP7 seems to be genreally more rugged in respect to the ammunition and magazine system.

Drop the p90 and it can jam up to the point of needing to be fiield stripped to clear the jam.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The MP7 probably has even worse terminal ballistics then the P90. You shouldn't go that small without a velocity over 3000 fps

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I guess physics must not matter:

Gelatine block at 50 m.*
MP7 280mm P90 230mm

Energy Transfer thru armor**:
MP7220 joule P90180 joule
Titanium/Kevlar Penetration*
MP7>200m P90 140m
Energy xfer thru armor 100m**
MP7115 joule P90 65 joule

* 20 % Gelatine block 300mm long ** 1.6mm Titanium + 20 layers of Kevlar
Now one must remember also that these are CQB weapons designed for hit first round hit probability with a high chance multi hit probability, designed to defeat armor. But hey what do I kow I only sell and demo them to law enforcement. But then agains as well I guess the ,17 HMR wouldn't be a terminal round, right? SUre....

Originally posted by Kozzy
The MP7 probably has even worse terminal ballistics then the P90. You shouldn't go that small without a velocity over 3000 fps

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by alternateheaven

There is a relatively new smg called the Kriss that shoots 45 magnum rounds and has very little recoil or muzzle climb. I personally think thatit would be a better replacement for the mp5.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
HOLY REZZ BATMAN! this thread is nearly 5 years old!

It does not fire .45 magnum rounds (closest thing to a magnum .45 is the .45LC), it fires the conventional .45ACP, magnum means it has an elongenated case and hence carries more powder.

I also know certain units within SFOD-DELTA uses the P90 but nowadays they switched to a HK416 and/or Barrett M468 since the P90 had stopping power issues.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join