It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Treasures Looted, Destroyed in Egypt's Chaos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Definitely a sidebar situation to the turmoil in Egypt, but it shows that some folks will take this time of unrest to do other things...

nationalgeographic.com

Archaeologist Zahi Hawass, Secretary General of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, reports that several of the country's museums have been attacked by looters taking advantage of the political turmoil in the country.

In the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, looters stole jewelry from the museum shop and smashed a statue of Tutankhamun and other artifacts. In a Sinai store containing antiquities from the Port Said Museum, "a large group, armed with guns and a truck, entered the store, opened the boxes in the magazine and took the precious objects. Other groups attempted to enter the Coptic Museum, Royal Jewellery Museum, National Museum of Alexandria, and El Manial Museum," Hawass, who is also a National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence, posted on his website.

"My heart is broken and my blood is boiling. I feel that everything I have done in the last nine years has been destroyed in one day," Hawass wrote.

There's a couple of videos at the source link for those interested.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Zahi Hawass has been keeping secrets from the world for too long.

I fear what was "lost" during this past week.

One day the hall of records will be entered and shared with humanity!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I dont doubt there were looters, I am just curious how many things that were destroyed or taken were things that didnt fit his version of history. True this is probably just my dislike of the guy, but from what I have seen of him i also wouldnt be surprised.

among leaders for life, unquestionable authorities for life shouldnt be allowed either, in my opinion.

back on topic tho, there is always a portion of every group of humans who will take advantage of any situation they can. sad but true. has there been any other looting reported? anyone know? last I heared info comming out was still prety limited. glad ta hear Hawass is on one of the providers still allowed access to the internet....

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I started a thread on it here, not sure if yours is different, same basic story.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The same thing happened at the beginning of the Iraq war. Like that looting, this likely has more to do with people knowing what they are looking for as opposed to just taking advantage of the situation

top topics

join