It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

While Cairo Burns, Obama Parties; The Dangers of the (Free) Press and Government Collusion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

The Washington A-List was out in force Saturday night at the farewell party for senior adviser David Axelrod, with a roster of guests featuring Cabinet secretaries, big shot journos and – President Obama.

As revolution threatened to sweep Egypt and possibly other allies – with the horrifying prospect of Islamism replacing reliable friends – the president was on view partying with the IN crowd.

The skepticism beyond the Beltway about whether Washington is just one big Love-In certainly gets fed by the sight – as conveyed by the press pool report – of reporters like ABC’s Jake Tapper, NBC’s Chuck Todd, National Journal’s Major Garrett, and John Harwood of CNBC and the New York Times emerging from a bash with the president that was held to toast his chief political fixer and leading spinmeister.
...Continue Reading Here....

Now, I know the president is only one man and does not command much in the way of actions that can be taken to solve the happenings within Egypt. Actually, I prefer that the American public realize that they have put too much faith into the Executive Branch to solve all their problems, including foreign situations.

What bothers me about this piece I just read is the mixing of our supposedly free press and government; which is just as dangerous as mixing religion and government (in the capacity where collusion is occurring!)

I use the word collusion because of the secretive nature of this party, thrown by Atlantic Media for all the President's Men. And as the article asks, how do you perform your duties as a journalist in digging up those tough stories, asking pointed questions and getting the truth when you might be denied attending a party with the president?

But no, there is no media bias. There is no agenda by the media. There is no censorship (open and overtly that is)....

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Well said ownbestenemy! S&F

A conflict of interest and collusion indeed!

The thing that gets my goat is that Obama and the US political machine care nothing about helping foreign countries solve problems it's all about moving the next chess piece. Will this be the right political move? There's no true concern, only selfishness and greed. If Obama is a representative of the US of A then it's no wonder we are looked upon with scorn and contempt. I cannot stand how politics revolves around politicians and nothing changes or gets done because we are focused on the narcissistic needs and advancements of the "public servants" we elect. arrrgh!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingviolet

If TRUTH Be Told.................

www.youtube.com...
edit on 30-1-2011 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
While the piece focus on the current administration, it doesn't just fit into that narrow scope. All administrations of course seek out favorable "news" outlets to carry their agenda. President Bush had Fox. Presidents Clinton and older Bush had CNN (back when CNN wasn't into creating news, just reporting it.)

There just seems to be a love affair going on in regards to the free press and the executive branch of this country. I can see it now at a presser:

Some Joe-Schmoo asks; Mr President we dug up information regarding and want your comment. What are you doing to ?

President ; Spin, spin, misdirect, redirect, blah blah blah.

The next day, Joe-Schmoo looses his "credentials" to be in the White House press pool.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Obama is doing exactly what he wants to do and is acting exactly how he wants to be percieved.

While many may find it disgusting (me included) I am not surprized in the least.
S+F though for bringing this deplorable activity to light.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
In regards to the notion of a "White House Press Pool" and how that very notion flies in the face of a free press.

The whole program is designed to control the flow of information and keep journalist...no, I can't even call them that. Keep mouthpieces in place and lob softball questions so the waters won't ripple. Think of tough, in your face journalist Mike Wallace. That man used to jump out of bushes to get his stories. He didn't care if the questions made you uncomfortable. He wanted the truth. He wanted the facts. There are very few that reside within the 'credentialed' masses we call journalism that would even dare go for the jugular.

Then there was the movement to include news programs in the television ratings system. That is why television news isn't even news anymore. Its entertainment to placate and please the masses. The survive not by reporting the truth but by selling advertisements.

This is why the media and in particular the government fears a free and open internet. This is why they fear bloggers and independent writers and write them off as "some 35 year old male in their mother's basement" stereotype.

A truly free press wouldn't need credentials. They wouldn't need the blessings of some haughty association of journalist that only exist to protect their jobs. They would only need the ears, eyes and minds of the people.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
"Let them eat Cake"

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I thought for sure dropping Obama's name into the title would get more discussion on the issue. Apparently I am not controversial enough.

What I will take from this is no one really cares that the press is in bed with the White House. That we have all come to the understanding that is what it is and there is no need to discuss it or the aspects and dangers that come with it.

top topics

join