It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jordan's powerful Muslim [Brotherhood] opposition warns that Arabs will topple US-allied Mideast le

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Hi. Found these while I was on Twitter...

Somone speaking for the Muslim Brotherhood live from Egypt

www.saynow.com...

www.saynow.com...

I've been posting calls coming in from Egypt, if anyone is interested, here is the link...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is another important message from a woman that lives in Egypt (from what I gathered).

www.saynow.com...

And there was one of the calls where you can clearly hear a baby or a small child in the background.

There seems to be a total blackout. I hope they're okay. Here's what I wrote a little while ago on the other thread...

eply posted on 1-2-2011 @ 05:07 AM by Antoniastar
The tweets from Egypt have completely and abruptly stopped. They were flowing in so fast I could hardly keep up with them. I'm getting tweets, just none from speak2tweet.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Okay speak2tweet calls from Egypt are coming through again. Apparently mobile service was temporarily disconnected. More here www.abovetopsecret.com...

And this is where I got the info about the mobile service problem...

"reply posted on 1-2-2011 @ 05:38 AM by Siddharta
They just shut down mobile connections!

Sultan Al Qassemi on twitter:

Breaking Al Jazeera: Mobile phone services have been disconnected at Meydan Tahrir (This is enormously irresponsible of the regime)

Edit to add: Can't be true for all, since journos still are sending tweets directly from the square."

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I know what has been blacked out and thats all mobile/internet, banks shut down, food supplies halted, all public transport (trains and buses), businesses closed, and the list goes on.

Cudios to the Egyptian people for overcoming all these things. We in the West can only be in AWE of these people and we can only learn from these truely inspiring citizens of Egypt.

I love the passion of these people by taking a no negotiable stance and standing their ground.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Antoniastar

Thank you, Antiniastar. Interesting tweets. I too hope everyone stays safe there.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

FYI...Jordan's king dismisses government, appoints new PM

So what do we make of this?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by notsoperfect

Obviously the softness of Obama contributes to the fact that those demonstrators are bold enough to topple the best friendly regime of the US in Egypt. Not that there is anything the US can do at this moment.
The overall landscape of the Middle east will change after all the dust settles down. Hope for the best for Egypt. The Islamic fundamentalist regime will be the least the US wants there.

Or perhaps let the system be destroyed by their own people. Let another rogue regime takeover the country. Let the western powers once again redraw their maps and intervene. Pretty much the same stories filled in the history. Develop, Destroy and Rebuild. Keeps the big wheel churning globally. Its the lifecycle of our civilization.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Eh.. it really all depends.
As long as the protesters there don't just settle for anything that isn't Mubarek.
What I have read is these protests are held mostly (or equally) by the secular populations so I doubt they would be looking for an overly religious type of leadership. I don't think it will go the same way as Iran.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Guys the truth is out there. Until we can get a handle on how the Iranians went from secularism under the Shah to the fundamentalist government I will worry about the Egyptian uprising.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I'm thinking that people in those countries need to pray to their god that they keep themselves in the good graces of the United States.

They don't want the graces of the US. They want the freedom to choose their own destiny. We all know, that generally the US, and the West, will support any government which looks out for their ( the West's) interests, freedom, democracy, equality be damned. Mubarak may not be best for quality of life for the Egyptian people, but he is best for the US. The people have the power due to sheer numbers, and since the billions in aid isn't helping anyone except the military and US and Western weapons makers the bribe isn't sufficient to shut the people up.

This isn't about religion. This is about a people being exposed to a life which isn't just about surviving. And wanting a chance at that life too. They know full well, that fundamentalists would not give them the freedom that they crave, the freedom that they are all starting to observe via our interconnected world.

I have some experience in Egypt, the people just want the chance to have a better life. yes, they are for the most part Muslim, and there is absolutely no reason why a life of opportunity, freedom and equality cannot co exist with Islam.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

IMO, the situation in Jordan is much different than that of Egypt.

King Abdullah II is very frequently changing his cabinet, parliament, and even the PM--if you do a little research, you will discover this presence of dynamism as well as what I would call "recycling" of government officials.

However, consider the differences between the new PM, Marouf al-Bakhit, and the former PM Samir Rifai:

1. al-Bakhit is a "true, pure" Jordanian, whereas Rifai is a Jordanian of Palestinian-descent...

2. al-Bakhit is a former national security chief. and former Jordanian Ambassador to Israel, whereas Rifai is a successful (capitalist) businessman...

I do believe that the handful of protestors' demands focused on the removal of the PM...

It is with these differences that I believe that you might be able to draw some conclusions...food for thought

For those of you that do not know, King Abdullah II is half British (Mother's, "Muna", side), and spent over half of his life in the UK. In other words, Western-educated and minded in many ways....

edit on 2-2-2011 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

nothing really, i totally agree with what sonjah1 stated above, nothing uncommon, King Abdullah II changes the PM and the government every two - three years, Parlement elections every 4 years, the King had to dismiss the last Parlement because of corupption, and we had new elections for a new parlement few months ago, people didn't really ask for that but our king (luckily) is wise enough to make the right decision at the right time, i am not saying that Samir Al Refa'e was a good PM but he wasn't bad either in my opinion, is dismissing him is connected to what happened in Tunisia or what is happenning now in Egypt? well i think not, some people didn't want Al Refa'e from the begining, some had very high expectations about him but got disappointed.

in case you want to know more about King Abdullah and Jordan, check this:

this was back in 2010, skip to 23:23 if you don't have the time to watch it all

edit on 2-2-2011 by h_jordan because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-2-2011 by h_jordan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonjah1

IMO, the situation in Jordan is much different than that of Egypt.

King Abdullah II is very frequently changing his cabinet, parliament, and even the PM--if you do a little research, you will discover this presence of dynamism as well as what I would call "recycling" of government officials.

However, consider the differences between the new PM, Marouf al-Bakhit, and the former PM Samir Rifai:

1. al-Bakhit is a "true, pure" Jordanian, whereas Rifai is a Jordanian of Palestinian-descent...

2. al-Bakhit is a former national security chief. and former Jordanian Ambassador to Israel, whereas Rifai is a successful (capitalist) businessman...

I do believe that the handful of protestors' demands focused on the removal of the PM...

It is with these differences that I believe that you might be able to draw some conclusions...food for thought

For those of you that do not know, King Abdullah II is half British (Mother's, "Muna", side), and spent over half of his life in the UK. In other words, Western-educated and minded in many ways....

edit on 2-2-2011 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

+1

nice to meet other Jordanians here on the forums , i tried to U2U but coudn't (must have at least 20 posts), thanks for the notice, take care

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

are the good graces of the united states and my country england for that matter,doing there good graces in afghanistan NO THEY ARE JUST DYING THERE

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by Kratos40

Yeah. Most of us already know this, but in case you're interested...Who Profited From Arming Egypt?.

Wow! It is depressing that a lot of tax dollars (As Americans) are going towards buying/supplying items that are used to quell the unrest of "Unruly" citizens. It sickens me. I have complained that half my working income goes to taxes that we have no clue about as to where it goes. But yet, if we fail to report the correct amount, we get jailed for our miscalculations. This thanks to the I.R.S.

<< 6  7  8   >>

join