It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Volcano Lightning Electrifies Japan Eruption:(Awesome Pics!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This volcano was the Blofeld's lair in the James Bond movie "You only live twice".

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

hahahahahaha

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
... Great pictures

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
OK I have seen volcanic lightening photos before but these are by far the best. So I will ask what others might be wondering...are these pictures untouched? Nothing added? To people that have never seen this freak of nature they might find it hard to believe. The photos are awesome and show quite clearly the power of nature.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Someone asked me.

Did I photoshop these because they don't believe such lighting can occure during a volcano.

What can you do? Like the saying goes. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink it.

I have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised no one on ATS made the photoshop claim. Makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

I am glad everyone enjoyed these shots as much as I did. Would love to see some video.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Wow,

They are some of the very best pictures Iv'e ever seen of a volcanic eruption. Can anyone explain how or why lighting forms during an eruption like this and is it rare?, cheers nice find.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
HAARP is at it again.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

S&F to you my friend! Its posts like this that keep us comming back. Like you I had no idea that volcanoes and lightning were so closely associated. Awsome pics!

edit on 31-1-2011 by AntiCitizenZone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonmeatdream
Yeah these are truly amazing pics. Nature never fails to create ultimate beauty and terror all at the same time. Just imagine what it must have been like thousands of years ago.... No wonder sacrifices were made to the angry gods!

That's what I was thinking.Stepping out of your hut and seeing this would be scary.Amazing pics.The purple lighting is really cool.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Here's some of the science behind what you are seeing: VOLCANIC THUNDERBOLTS.

The Cosmic Thunderbolts:

Hannes Alfven Plasma Cosmology:

The Center of the Earth, the Heart of the Sun, and the Great Galactic Center are all connected electrically.

edit on 31-1-2011 by Chakotay because: For the Halibut...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
My first time hearing of the matter and kind of had me scratching my head at first after seeing the title [but not the contents of the thread]. At first thinking lightning struck a volcano and it erupted, but this. This is beyond all expectations of what I had in mind
Star and Flag and despite being a very dangerous part of nature it sure does make quite the photo(s)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I have always been a little obsessed with lightning. It's actual visual structure is like the veins in our body. The fact that these pictures couple the beauty of lightning with the destruction of a volcanic explosion is awe inspiring. S&F to you OP!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The photo of the lightning extending from the volcano is amazing. Perhaps the charge differential of the sillica could have something to do with it in addition to static electricity. Perhaps the sun also? So much electrical charge and connectivity in this vibrational matrix, it's really hard to tell what really causes what.

Was at mount Ruapehu in 1995 when it erupted, although young, I can remember it clearly, being big into geology and especially volcanology at a young age helped.

We got one day of snow time that year, the rest was a big black ash cloud, stretching visibly further than any cloud I can remember, raining grey black dust on anything in its path. From my recollection it grew over 300km long and and caused aviation havoc. I remember there was lightning visible during the night too. There was a continuous cloud and many tephra eruptions A few earthquakes accompanied; whilst I was asleep, my father witnessed a groundwave approaching as an earthquake hit, from the 2nd floor motel.

Being in lighting/production I love this sorta stuff, it almost makes our abilities and technology look puny, dull and rather fragile.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Wow. Amazing pictures!
I think i would be terrified if i was seeing this happen right in front of me though haha.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by M2298

Me and you both. Heck, I bet just about everyone would-especially if you didn't know that lighting is like that during volcanos.

How many heart attacks as that first CRACK rips out and then the sky lighting up like that. lol

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Amazing pictures.

As an EU (Electric Universe Theory) fan, I would say this is beautifully inline with the theory.
I can't help but say all the time to everyone around me: The Universe is electric, for sure.

...And then, I am thinking about how little I really understand about it.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Those photos were absolutely incredible, never seen anything like it!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Volcanic lightning is still a mystery, though it may be that electrically charged silica—part of magma—interacts with the atmosphere when it flies out of a volcano, Steve McNutt of the Alaska Volcano Observatory told National Geographic News in February 2010.

I'm a little surprised by this statement, it is very close to what EU theorists have been suggesting regarding volcanic lightning. In the past the claim had been that it was a build up static charges as the ash particles collide, another theory makes the case using the water content of the magma.

Magma is electrically conductive, the Earth is a charged body, the charged magma short circuits with the Earths electrical field causing the lightning. As the guy above says the charged silica is interacting the atmosphere when it flies out. Replace atmosphere with Earths electric field in the atmosphere and bingo!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

These are really great pictures...I've always been fascinated by lightning
Just curious as to which way the bolt travels...To the clouds or to the earth?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Amazing photos! Volcanic Lightning has always (in my mind) helped to reaffirm the electric universe theory. Just thing of the amount of electrical charge needed to produce this effect. Although still a mystery to science, it's fascinating none the less

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join