It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina scientist works to grow meat in lab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

CHARLESTON, South Carolina (Reuters) - In a small laboratory on an upper floor of the basic science building at the Medical University of South Carolina, Vladimir Mironov, M.D., Ph.D., has been working for a decade to grow meat.

A developmental biologist and tissue engineer, Dr. Mironov, 56, is one of only a few scientists worldwide involved in bioengineering "cultured" meat.

Yummm

He envisions football field-sized buildings filled with large bioreactors, or bioreactors the size of a coffee machine in grocery stores, to manufacture what he calls "charlem" -- "Charleston engineered meat."

It sounds appetizing to me. They can make it any flavor you want. And even though it isn't made from people I still hear Soylent Green echoing in the back of my mind.

www.reuters.com... r&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FscienceNews+%28News+%2F+US+%2F+Science%29

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I would expect that from someone here...

I can't imagine how someone would just grow "meat" that just makes me feel sick. Of course, I guess SPAM can't be far behind what they're trying to grow...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I see nothing wrong with it, yes you might think it's 'strange' at first, but any rational person would see the massive benefits in growing meat in mass quantities, it would solve many issues we face now and get rid of animal factory farming. Supposedly they would have to stretch it on big sheets etc to simulate exercise, otherwise the texture of the meat would be...not nice.
This along with vertical growing of fruit and veg is the future imo.
edit on 30-1-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I would never ever under any circumstance eat this %#^&@ and if anyone serves it to me unknowingly, I will sue the @#$% out of them.

Reminds me of Slurm.

(snip) it isn't made from people (snip)

Yet.

edit on 30-1-2011 by Chakotay because: For the Halibut...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Well since we are growing organs in a jar, we might as well grow some parts we like to eat! Think of all the animal lives saved!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I agree with the majority here. To think of my meat being "grown" kind of makes my stomach curl up in the fetal position.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Does that mean the meat is kind of alive? I mean meat is slowly decomposing matter after all... how can you do the reverse? Augh, my brain!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a pinch of this, a drop of that, let stand for a spell, and ta-da franken steak, serve with genetically enhanced baked tater, and monsanto's corn on the cob, and a big ice cold glass of their hormone laced milk.

Man Now Thats Eating
edit on 31-1-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Oh...yay! Test-tube meat. Guess that will come in handy for hot dogs

Seriously though, this sounds disgusting on so many levels. Are people really that attached to meat eating that we need to do this? Is messing with nature natural progression? Or is it asking for trouble?

I suppose, if a near ELE were to occur and this was all there was standing between a person and starvation, and if this research is for preparation should that ever occur, fine. The sad truth though is it will wind up in tacos touted as real meat or will become real meat to those who never knew any different.

Until that time, we have far better tasting, healthier, and more sane alternatives in real foods. (It was hard for me to put on a meat-eating hat and write this!)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar
I would expect that from someone here...

I can't imagine how someone would just grow "meat" that just makes me feel sick. Of course, I guess SPAM can't be far behind what they're trying to grow...

Meat grows on cows.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Intresting, this would cut the animals some slack, no more torturing and killing animals in the intrest of eating them but I must say if it's bio what are the risks of eating it.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
Intresting, this would cut the animals some slack, no more torturing and killing animals in the intrest of eating them but I must say if it's bio what are the risks of eating it.

Yeah, only to introduce more man made organisms into your body, that have god knows what in them.
No thanks.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Farming for meat has a rather large environmental impact. Hopefully this technology can be perfected and be better than normal meat in terms of nutrition and safety, while also closing down large amounts of farms lessening the environment impact, which will also help get rid of animal rights abuses and free up land area for other uses like other crops so we can help feed more people.
edit on 31/1/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

top topics

join