It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HTTPS for ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I was wondering if ATS would ever consider implementing HTTPS as an option for those of us who are concerned with privacy. The user who is concerned about privacy can of course use VPN's, proxies and the like but having the option of HTTPS on ATS would i think result in more people using it.

Furthermore as ATS is without a doubt the largest website of the kind dealing with unusual material it seems likely it would be the place where something incredible could be released at some point and i would hope ATS would encourage the privacy of someone wanting to release information by making this option available. While it is not completely secure it is simply an extra layer of safety for anyone wishing to get information out there.

Just a suggestion.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Once you put something on net its on there, so there really is no point for https service here. hey are probably logging all entries made by your ip, and certainly vpns would be known to nsa also, you really think they are going to let people serve freely, no i doubt it.
edit on 1/30/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Once you put something on net its on there, so there really is no point for https service here. hey are probably logging all entries made by your ip, and certainly vpns would be known to nsa also, you really think they are going to let people serve freely, no i doubt it.
edit on 1/30/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

It's an anonymous website, well by that i mean you don't have to link your real name to it, therefore having an encrypted connection to it could help anyone who wants to release something but also in this day and age privacy is a generally important concern.

As for the VPN's well that's paranoia. Any VPN that reveals a customer would fail overnight and they are private enterprises, well i mean most of them are anyway. IP logs mean very little if you're using a VPN although it's not foolproof, a good court order will get your log on time and such but the thing about security is that you build it in layers and this is just an extra layer.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
To encrypt the website would only provide a false safety for people
As everybody hopefully known its not legal to use encryption that is to hard to crack
Dont know the number of bits today, but some years ago 128bit was the highest allowed
it would only provide people with a false safety thats all

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by iniut
To encrypt the website would only provide a false safety for people
As everybody hopefully known its not legal to use encryption that is to hard to crack
Dont know the number of bits today, but some years ago 128bit was the highest allowed
it would only provide people with a false safety thats all

Err you're kidding right? It is perfectly legal to use encryption that is too hard to crack otherwise there would be little point in it. It is illegal in the UK to not give your encryption key when asked by court order but other countries don't always take that view. Currently consumers have access to cascading 256 bit encryption and it just isn't crackable on the timescales we use to judge such things as evidenced by recent cases where people have been imprisoned because the police couldn't crack their encrypted files and the individuals refused to give their keys.

Yes as i stated this isn't a perfect solution, security is best used in layers and this would be an extra layer, it would make it more secure, it will never be perfect but more secure is better than less secure.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Occams Razor is a brilliant principle so lets apply it in this particular scenario:

If someone did have something that amazing to share on ATS then surely it would be worth while enough information for all the world to view?

There is no need to encrypt reality, it's obscure enough as it is...

Secrets are to be hidden, the truth is to be truth and in the middle is king of the gray area.

I do appreciate the intention though OP, as good an intention it is, I personally don't see it as a viable option for ATS as a whole.

However, ATS don't pay me (well not often
) and I can't speak for the site owners.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

The encryption doesn't prevent anyone on ATS from viewing it, the idea is to protect the source or for the average person to protect their privacy, not sure you quite understand what i mean.

Check out wikileaks, privacy is important. Anyone uploading anything of importance would no doubt use an open wifi connection but as i say, layers are important to protect someone.

To make this clearer to you, google offer an encrypted search function, wikipedia offers an encrypted version etc etc.
edit on 30-1-2011 by ImaginaryReality1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I work in IT so I'm very familiar with the OSI model and layer based security for example, I'm not entirely sure what your getting at....

Why would anyone want to hide their location when posting material to this site?

If they had material of that sensitive nature I'm pretty sure they would learn the existing methods to hide/or at least slow the location of their identity, those techniques are already out there, I'm not sure why you think ATS should facilitate those methods as per standard.
edit on 30/1/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Because they can, because it will help security and general privacy. The question is why they wouldn't want these things or more specifically why you wouldn't.

Privacy, security these are two important things.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Well that would kinda defeat the objective of being on an internet forum in the first place.....

People trying to stay hidden don't normally post on forums, like I said, I'm not sure what anyone would have to post that would be of such a "classified" or "top secret" nature they would need to hide their geographic location.

It wouldn't change a thing anyway as the end point connections would still be logged as usual, anyone that concerned about their privacy has something to hide in my honest opinion and we already have things such as onion based routing, proxies etc for those so inclined.

I'm not trying to be funny but I honestly can't see what your getting at here....

HTTP Secure

Edit to clarify: SSL or a VPN isn't used to hide the origination, it's used to encrypt the data stream between the user node and end host server. The connection will be encrypted but that is all, I really do not see the purpose in (this post for example) being encrypted, what would that serve?
edit on 30/1/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
As a fellow computer person, i can see where your both coming from.

I can see why the OP would like ATS to be more secure and private....
however, the gov't will get into pretty much anything it wants anyways.

We already know the FBI+ made AES give them a backdoor into their 256 encryption method.

But OP, There really is no point in encrypting this site, as encryption as hiding the information your sending, not neccessarily who is sending it. And I dont think this would be the best place to release such important information.

There are groups who have already setup methods for doing this, IE wikileaks and cryptome.

I think the real question OP is, would you rather live in a world where you had to hide, or would you rather give everything you had, maybe even your life, to live in a free world?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

if it was ever needed by the police /fbi in then this website(like many others) would have no problem handing over as much details as possible to help them, this website does not advocate any illegal behaviour.

If you wanted to leak a goverment secret document do not do it here (or wikileaks unless you want it released five years later after blackmailing everyone)
edit on 31-1-2011 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

As i said, this is simply an extra feature, i am not saying it would be highly secure it's just an extra layer. I didn't think it would be such a controversial idea to promote an extra bit of privacy/security.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Your missing the point here...

HTTPS wouldn't and isn't needed for ATS, no ones conducting financial transactions to the site for example (or any areas that are will already have HTTPS implemented), theres no need to encrypt plain text post or thread submissions as once you get to the site they are there for all to see anyways...

top topics

join