It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forclosing on habitat for humanity homes

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rossa

You have knowlege that I don't have and I appreciate you sharing it.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

The feeling I get when I see the looks on the faces of those I am helping, realizing that maybe that little slice of the American Dream is coming true for them after all is the only the thanks I ever require. One day I was nailing down some flooring when a little boy with a smudged face and hand-me-down clothes brought me the nails I had called for. He smiled this huge smile and said something to the effect of "Thank you for making my own room! I love my new room!" and walked away smiling.

It's worth every moment.

And it does show. Based on outward appearances, a lot of these people would be considered 'human trash' by some when they start out. But the land used here is an entire HfH subdivision, and the homes already there are beautifully maintained and show a pride in ownership that is awesome. The residents are proud of what they have and it shows quickly after they move in. Just goes to show people who have hope are people who care.

But you're welcome.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SKinLaB

Thanks for your contribution

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Read my post in reply to autowrench.Many properties listed with the county where the home is, are no longer owned by the entity who is listed hense the law suits. The banksters didn't process the transfer of ownership paperwork before they sold the loan so the true ownership is cloudy at best.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rossa
reply to post by Chakotay

sorry, if you follow the program, and meet the requirements you will get a house, those requirements have nothing to do with religion.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Read your own words:

Originally posted by Rossa
The founder of Habitat for Humanity International
Millard Fuller founded Habitat for Humanity International in 1976 and served in executive roles until 2005. His leadership helped forge Habitat into a worldwide Christian housing ministry.

At least in the Pacific Northwest in the 1980's, if you weren't Church, no one volunteered to help you. If Habitat was The Answer, there would not be millions of homeless in the USA.

Thanks to those of you who sincerely volunteer- but I'll donate when I see Habitat build a home for poor Buddhist immigrants. With a felony conviction (Blessed Thief on the Cross, Dear Jesus)!

edit on 31-1-2011 by Chakotay because: For the Halibut...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Do me a favor read the rest of rossa's posts.She explains the requirements in detail and also comments that the houses are avalible to anyone regardless of race color or creed.The founders religious alignment has nothing to do with who gets acess to the homes.
edit on 1/31/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

The phrase "Worldwide Christian ministry" means Christians helping (ministering to) people worldwide. It does not mean Christians discriminating against non-Christians worldwide. The word "minister" means to help, not to preach to.

I can't speak to what happened anywhere else in the 1980s, but I do know this: never have I heard preaching or even more than a passing mention of Christianity in getting these people homes.

And one final point: how many of the homeless have you housed? As soon as you have given as many homes as HfH, feel free to criticize their effectiveness. At this point, I doubt you have done so. Millions of homeless? Yes, and there probably always will be. A great number of those homeless are homeless because they want to be... at least they do not want to do anything to own a home, and if one were given to them they would destroy it quickly and then be back begging for another. HfH helps those who need help to help themselves, not those who just want a handout. That's another reason why I support them so vigorously. I couldn't care less about the bum lying in the gutter who will fight tooth and nail to remain there.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thanks for volunteering Redneck-you all make a big difference. I also work for my local HfH affiliate and concur with Rossa, no Christian zealotry, people do sweat equity to prove their commitment, and a zero interest loan makes them quite enviable to my mind. I am very sensitive to corruption ( I hang out here a lot you know) and I have never seen anything unkosher about the chapter I work for...It's been the best gig of my life, and I've had too many jobs to count.

The real magic is the interaction-people helping people-like the instance with the little boy you shared. That is a daily occurrence for volunteers and homeowners alike. It seems to me to be an aspect of the leading edge of a better,saner society, personal responsibility joined with community spirit and care for your neighbor.

It doesn't always have a happy ending, but such is life. People do get foreclosed on, but very rarely...the affiliate would rather not ever get the home back, but it happens for various reasons. Drugs, homeowner dies, etc. They do work with people who get behind and won't impose penalties- not logical really.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join