It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forclosing on habitat for humanity homes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
lonestarwatchdog.blogspot.com... I saw this link and was very taken aback.I mean aren't the folks who qualify for these homes poor by definition. Aren't they given terms they can afford.I mean jeez here you go a new home you can afford...... oh no wait just a minute.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
lonestarwatchdog.blogspot.com... I saw this link and was very taken aback.I mean aren't the folks who qualify for these homes poor by definition. Aren't they given terms they can afford.I mean jeez here you go a new home you can afford...... oh no wait just a minute.

Everyone wants a piece of the American dream!

Sadly not everyone can obtain it, even with zero % loans.

Wait a minute.......my bad! I should have used the words "Not surprisingly" instead of the word "sadly".....

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

It's just some more of that "easy credit" business. Making loans and even gifts to those that can't handle it. It is not unsurprisingly given what we've seen, but still sad..

Tighter controls may solve part of the problem but are not the full answer either. I don't pretend have the answer.
edit on 30-1-2011 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Habitat is a giant scam.

If you aren't part of their churchy-smurfy-jimmycarter democratic party lovefest, you aren't going to get no house.

Just another way to siphon money off do-gooders without addressing the real problems of MILLIONS of homeless.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
So what is the problem?
They failed to make the payments. Pretty simple sounding.
If I don't pay my mortgage, I get kicked out, why shouldn't they?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Well the idea being that these people are supposed to be given payments they can afford.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
i really think we need to know just whom were evicted or foreclosed upon...

there are two scenarios which come immediately to mind:

a) the potentential owner on a subsistance income to begin with was fired/laid-off/ and is among the more than 14 million workers that have been displaced so the corporations could retain their profits & bonuses

b) the economically poor & likely broken family, did not prioritize their income stream... favoring the indulgence
of things like cigarettes, booze, full spectrum Pay-TV, etc---- instead of paying the home payment First !

(myself... i'm on a fixed income... i make sure my rent & utilities are paid first, then any surplus $$ is used for fun things like beer or movie rentals) I pay over 80% of my income for housing expenses...
i bet absolutely none of them folks in the subsidized housing / 'Habitat-4-Humanity' homes approach
that percentage of their disposable income... the law would forbid it....
their payment schedule is likely to be less than 60% of the total income for that family,
so that clothes and medical issues would be saved for...
but my guess is that $set aside money was spent on $150 shoes, $500 handbags, $50hair treatments, etc

or - i could be wrong in 100% of the cases

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Habitat for Humanity: building crappy homes for people who can't afford them. Raking in the donations and sending them to Jimmy Carter. Just another grabscam designed to separate the fool from his money.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
reply to post by macman

Well the idea being that these people are supposed to be given payments they can afford.

And since they can't afford them, then what?
Again, since they (Insert excuse) did not progress in life and work to get better jobs, they can't pay for them. They should be bounced out.
That is the way it goes. If you can't pay, you don't get.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
What I am wondering is this; what do these billionaire bankers plan to do with all of these foreclosed, empty homes? I live in a small town, As of the census of 2000, there were 6,078 people, 2,359 households, and 1,644 families residing in the city. I would estimate that over 100 homes or more are sitting empty right now. You cannot rent them, or buy them, true ownership is very murky. I tried for several months to locate the bank that owns a nice A Frame home down the hill from me, and I simply cannot locate who owns the property. Even the Abstract Company doesn't know. What is the BANKING CARTEL planning for all of these empty houses? Provide homes for invading Immigrants? Living quarters for invading military? Quarters for Aliens?
What?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Hi, nice find, but Id like to add my two sense. I speak from experience-How? because I am employed with Habitat for Humanity in my state-I am an employee of my particular affiliate in my state, I am not a volunteer-this is my job I receive a salary(albeit low). The program works as follows:

A low income family applies for a house, with no felony convictions, and a steady income they are admitted to the program under several conditions:
They must have a NEED for the home(i.e. living in a bad area, bad credit and cant get a loan etc.)
They must work to help build habitat homes until they have accumulated a set number of hours(usually 350 to 450 depending on family size), and this is usually on weekends not during the week. Then they receive a home with a NO interest loan attached to it.

As with any loan they must make the monthly payment- the BIG difference is that while a bank will forclose no matter what the circumstances Habitat affiliates work with the homeowners to work through many of the rough times when other financial institutions will forclose, thus allowing the homeowner to have more of a chance of retaining thier home, and getting back on even footing.

Situations where forclosure takes place are rare, Habitat doesnt want its houses back, it wants the people who work for them to keep them, thats why the organization works so hard to keep the families in the homes.
If the homeowner refuses to communicate with the Habitat personell, and refuses to make the payment after an EXTENDED period of time and continious attempts to contact the homeowner to work it out have failed, ONLY THEN will repossession take place.

Habitat doesnt care what your religion is(beleive me I know as I am pagan) all they care about is if you NEED the home, and if you are willing to WORK for the home, and COMMUNICATE with them.
Im willin to answer questions feel free to ask.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

Habitat for Humanity is in no way sending any funds to Jimmy Carter, that is a fallacy because of a program he once sponsored with th eprogram, all funds go to build new homes. See my bottom post, and check your facts

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Good point I find this a interesting question just what do the bankers want to do with these homes. The can't dump them all on the market at once cause that would depress the market and they wouldn't get much for them.My guess about the house near you that even the title company couldn't find an owner for is this,some of these mortgages were bundled and sold as package deals.It's one of the things the banksters did to perpertrate the fraud they used to steal our money and crash the economy.There have been some court cases that have determined that some of the bundled mortgages were not processed properly.In other words the job was finished before the legal paperwork was done.In these cases the ownership of these properties have reverted to the homeowner and been declared free and clear.Now will this stand up to appeal who knows.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

sorry, if you follow the program, and meet the requirements you will get a house, those requirements have nothing to do with religion. But failing to follow the program, or failing to show income or need and you will not be allowed to participate.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

They are given payments they can afford, most of the payments run in the range of 350.00 to 450.00 a month in the affiliate I work for, this is cheaper than rental prices in my state. But things do happen and folks do fall behind to the point where they just give up communicating with the Habitat office. When even personal visits fail there is no other recourse but repossession.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Rossa

Rossa thank you so much for your post. What you put forth is how I thought habitat worked.I guess that these folks are in a really bad way if they can't pay a no intrest loan when habitat will work with them to help.I feel for them.Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Bless You St. Udio- you get it!

I have watched our Habitat Clients not make a payment on thier home because thier big screen went out and they had to buy a new one. In an agency where we actually teach the new homeowners how to budget responsibly, it boggles the mind when they are confused at why we were upset because they spent thier mortgage payment on a TV!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rossa
reply to post by St Udio

Bless You St. Udio- you get it!

I have watched our Habitat Clients not make a payment on thier home because thier big screen went out and they had to buy a new one. In an agency where we actually teach the new homeowners how to budget responsibly, it boggles the mind when they are confused at why we were upset because they spent thier mortgage payment on a TV!

How can it boggle the mind?
I expect nothing less from most people.
They live in a Habitat home and have a big screen tv? Nice

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Thanks for being so nice, I tend to get a bit testy, and I was hoping I didnt come off that way.

One of the other things we do is help our families learn how to prioritize thier budgetable income, what needs to be paid first, what percentage of income is expendable, we also teach them how to repair the home they live in in an inexpensive way, and how to handle closings, and titles etc.

unfortunately there are some(not all) who make the wrong choices. Or, thier situation deteriorates due to forces beyond thier control. I dont know the family in the articles situation, so I dont know what caused it.

Good OP though thanks for putting it out there

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
All the Habitat for Humanity homes i seen given away,(they show on the news every time) was to minorities. These minorities are already on Food stamps,AFDC,Medicaid, Subsidized housing. The Government pays most if not all of their bills. I don't understand how they are getting these houses foreclosed on with all of the assistance they are getting unless they are spending what money they do get on b*ll#.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join