It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British scientists Create Cheap Artificiial Fuel.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

British scientists Create Cheap Artificiial Fuel.

www.d ailymail.co.uk

Artificial petrol that costs 19p per litre could be on forecourts in as little as three years.

British scientists are refining the recipe for a hydrogen-based fuel that will run in existing cars and engines at the fraction of the cost of conventional petrol.

With hydrogen at its heart rather than carbon, it will not produce any harmful emissions when burnt, making it better for the environment, as well as easier on the wallet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

The first road tests are due next year and, if all goes well, the cut-price ‘petrol’ could be on sale in three to five years.

Professor Stephen Bennington, the project’s lead scientist, said: ‘In some senses, hydrogen is the perfect fuel. It has three times more energy than petrol per unit of weight, and when it burns, it produces nothing but water.

‘Our new hydrogen storage materials offer real potential for running cars, planes and other vehicles that currently use hydrocarbons.’

The fuel is expected to cost around $1.50 a gallon, or 19p a litre. Even with fuel taxes, the forecourt price is likely to be around 60p a litre – less than half the current cost.

That would bring the price of filling a 70-litre Ford Mondeo down to around £42.

Energy from hydrogen can be harnessed by burning the gas or combining it with oxygen in a fuel cell to produce electricity.

But current methods of storing hydrogen are expensive and not very safe.

With the ever increasing Price of fuel This new Artificial stuff could be our lucky break, Certainly over in england where fuel prices have rocketed Recently.

Thank god for science Eh

www.d ailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Ted H

I have heard of this before but the problem remains about the storage of Hydrogen...

If you can invent a safe, secure and pretty much bomb proof Fuels tank then I think you would be the next Bill Gates in money terms that is...

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Yo PD.

By reading a little more On the subject it seems they are quite close to a system that can Easilly contain hydrogen with no more of a risk than a Common petrol car

To get round this, scientists from the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, near Oxford, University College London and Oxford University have found a way of densely packing hydrogen into tiny beads that can be poured or pumped like a liquid.

I think the Above is the Real discovery here

edit on 30/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
If this is true, they better hurry and get this new fuel on the market asap. With all the uprising that's happening in the middle east, the cost of oil can sky rocket very soon. Not only will oil prices rise, but the cost on goods can double or even triple. I don't think the world economy has time to wait 3 years.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Couldnt agree more! Theres also the that common fuel could be upto £2.00 a litre by then

Obviously this fuel needs to be available as soon as possible, But saying that Theve really gotta perfect the safety

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Think this is already a thread...
I don't see how synthetic gasoline can be better for the environment, even if it's hydrogen based.
I'm still gunna still say it's toxic, even more than regular gas...
think Monsanto times a billion. lol.
edit on 30-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by freedish

Nope, It gives off zero emissions it seems

And i cant find any similar article in search

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hi Ted , I hope this great idea will happen but I 'm not sure TPTB wil like this cheaper alternative. Look at how they treated Niko Tesla and also hemp . They like to surpress the cheaper greener alternatives .
Great post mate !
Cheers .

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
another great scientific discovery from great britain, first the electric motor and now this. i hope we dont lose too many potential scientists due to the rising student fees as the world could lose out on future discoverys and inventions that may one day save it from extinction.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TheGhostViking

The more interesting storys are the one you havent heard About sir!

Such as i know for a Fact a Man came up with a way of running a Car with H20/ Hydrogen about 30 years Ago, but he died mysteriously, Obviously some Oil barrons hadnt finished sellig their Expensive And Polluting fuels

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson

Nope, It gives off zero emissions it seems

And i cant find any similar article in search

'scientists' also said the pesticides used on crops were safe...OOPS haha

and they also said carbon emissions were melting the ice caps...OOPS again lol

So I guess we'll see...

that's assuming these scientists don't get assassinated by OPEC first.
edit on 30-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Yeah, They said the same about Ciggarettes as well didnt they

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

EXACTLY!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It will never be NEVER be allowed to be sold as an alternative unless its controlled by the same people that own the carbon fuel companies or the world as we knows it comes to an abrupt end and we have no oil supply but then the value of this stuff will go right up to the same cost as fuel or more. It is not in the interests to make cheaper anything in a world based on capitalism, altho great find it will ultimately be killed off like cold fusion and the electric car.

I believe diesel was an alternative at one time being way cheaper than regular fuel and its almost the same price now.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Here is the website of the company where it explains in more detail what it is and how it works.

www.cellaenergy.com...

The material that encapsulates the hydrogen will be waste product but will not be expelled. Rather it will be captured and sent back to be refreshed with another batch of hydrogen.

Good find.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It is not in the interests to make cheaper anything in a world based on capitalism,
EXACTLY , and isn't sad that TPTB value profit over human advancement , War over peace and divide and conquer over freedom and liberty .

new topics

top topics

join