It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt latest: ElBaradei in Cairo to address protesters

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

What I am thinking is that Mubarak has ruled with an iron fist for so long that he is used to just using the army and police to control the people. Now that he has made his right hand men all ex-generals from his army that support him totally, makes for a very scary scenario.

Who knows what is in his mind and how he will act? I would hope that he listens to other countries and doesn't resort to violence, but to me, it's still an unknown and also makes me nervous.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by truthoftheseeker

Its already OUT OF CONTROL! The military option is being exercised! They aren't flying fighters and driving M1 Abrams tanks around for the fun of it!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Unconfirmed reports coming in that the Army will side with the protestors!!

Time will tell just stay tuned.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The threat to the Suez Canal being shutdown and crude oil supplies are the reason the military is in the streets. Whats not being discussed is the fact that Russia and China want to control these resources.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LanMan54

Yeah, you might be right. I've been trying to figure this out and I've come up with either..."they've been flying around to get visual for later (when its dark) and basically planning attack plans for dark. Getting plans for Tank formations and
such..how to best use them.

or...they are going to wait them (the crowd) out..people gotta eat and drink. I mean the UK and USA probably have been loud saying.."don't you attack and do a China!!" wait them out!

Lot of Money being offered (and power) to the current Generals in charge of the army under the current rule. I'm sure.

its a hard one to gage.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
FOX just reported that Al Jeezera has been shutdown ,now they are in full media blackout it's gonna make it tough to figure out what is happening now

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

Al Jazeera is still reporting and showing live video... they are just not using the reporters names on air for their safety...

Here

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by LanMan54

i know it is allready out of control but we are talking now about this topic!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
There were rumours earlier that security forces got orders to spread out all over the country, but stay away from Tahrir Square. No wonder, that's where the cameras are.

The Al Jazeera thing is still confusing. While we can watch them online, reporters like Dan nolan twitter things like this:

Had to leave Tahrir Sq to edit piece. Great story IF we find a way to get it to air after govt shutdown of tv uplink/internet

And he adds:

Don't worry jazeera is used to being shut down by govt's. We'll find a way to get this out to you

Guess, it is about the restrictions told them.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

A new turn in the protests, perhaps: police and security forces are expected to return to the streets tomorrow. The army has been the dominant presence throughout Sunday.

source

This is a very troubling decision indeed as the police are not seen as any sort of "friends" of the protesters like the army is.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder

A new turn in the protests, perhaps: police and security forces are expected to return to the streets tomorrow. The army has been the dominant presence throughout Sunday.

source

This is a very troubling decision indeed as the police are not seen as any sort of "friends" of the protesters like the army is.

Yes, especially if you see those two interpretations:

Official: Police will secure the traffic.
Inofficial: Security will strike tomorrow.

Both versions say, Tahrir Square will be left out.
edit on 30-1-2011 by Siddharta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Yes, but what I wonder about is ..what about the Generals? Will the troops obey orders? What if they are (at sometime)
ordered by their Superior officers to take conrol of the city..to Disperse the Crowd?

edit on 30-1-2011 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Does this look like the type of army to kill its own people? Nope, and they have already said they will not stop the people, they have already been ordered to enforce the curfew by the government, which up till so far they have ignored.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Tweet by jan25live:

RNN: Now: in response to news of redeployment of Police tomorrow, protestors say they will arrest any police office they see

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

Really crazy now! People gonna try and arrest the police (thats gonna be some bag of nuts) ...The army troops only taking orders "they like"...(that's interesting)..Superior officers with no control over the troops? The Police force is basically defunct....

Who ever eventually gains control...will have to get their own police and army (start all over again from scratch) as

they themselves will want people under them to do what they say.

Total craziness going down.

as well as the stock market.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It is a no win situation for the police and the military.

It's their own people that now the guns are pointed at, not just a few, but masses, some of them whom are their families, relatives and friends. No human is born out of a rock.

The military had been taught to fight enemies, and enemies are not their families, relatives and friends.

The police and security forces had been taught to fight crime doers, but at this time, with the mass uprisings, and they themselves along with their families, relatives and friends, are equally suffering as the masses from the economic woes, made worse by dictatorships and their allowances for massive corruptions.

SO who are their crime doers? Certainly it is not their families, relatives and friends whom are not in power to conduct such massive frauds. Those out in the streets are not just a few handful petty thieves out for a dollar, but their very own society members only seeking for help that had long been ignored by their dictators.

At the end of the day, the police, security forces, spies and the military including the pilots will have to face their own conscience and live with the decisions they have to make on their own free will. It's their own people that the guns and violence are directed at.

edit on 30-1-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I don't think, they would have to exchange the military.

Look at that picture:

The photographer explained, what the people sprayed on it:

Demonstrators Wrote on Army Tank- Down with Mubarak...No to Mubarak

He has other interesting photos of today. One showing soldiers holding high a little girl that chanted "Freedom".

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

It appears that the police, having been off the streets for most of Sunday, have now returned. There had been reports earlier that they would resume patrols on Monday, but Egypt's state news agency and al-Arabiya TV now say that deployment has already happened.

source

It's going to be interesting now as the police are not well liked as they are so corrupt. I think this is a bad decision as the army has done a fairly good job with the residents patrolling their own streets.

Time will tell.....

edit to add:

BBC Arabic reports that dozens of judges joined the protesters in Tahrir Square on Sunday. One of them, Hosam Makawi, accused the police of corruption and of destroying incriminating evidence.

even the judges are aware of the corruption in the police department..
edit on 1/30/2011 by tribewilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Some wisdom from an 8 year old girl from Saudi Arabia:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
Jets over the City---------- So What ??

Does anyone honestly think that your own airforce would attach it's own people.......... Not in Egypt because if the President authorized that then he would become public enemy Number - WorldWide and other Muslim countries would intervene !!!! period!!

It's just for show and as usual the media are getting their knickers in a twist......

Who Knows, maybe its a sign of solidarity from the Airforce and perhaps the wider military........

Pres H Mubarak is finished and Egypt is entering a new part of it's history........ lets hope they remain favourable to the West !!

Regards

PDUK

Thought I'd quote myself because the Egyptian Military has just announced it WILL NOT turn on it's own population !!!!

They know that their support from the USA is now dependant upon a Civalised end to this and NO bloodshed of it's people.......... wether Mubarak understands is another story

SO

The Police - Loyal to Mubarak might ENGAGE the Military......... ????
Otherwise the Presdient will resign ...

PDUK

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join