It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Fire at Sunoco Refinery NJ.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
On Saturday afternoon "a five alarm-blaze" broke out at the Sunoco refinery in NJ. The fire was under control by early evening but there were two injuries reported. A Sunoco employee was splahed with an unkown substance which was treated at a Woodbury hospital, and a firefighter was also treated from heat exhaustion.

Smoky blaze hits Sunoco refinery
The fire was isolated and contained at its source in the cumene unit of the facility by around 6 p.m., Sloan said. Fire crews reported after 9 p.m. that the blaze had not yet been extinguished.

Cumene is a raw material used as a feed stock for the production of various products such as paint thinner and various solvents.

An emergency response team at the plant and fire companies from Washington Township, West Deptford, Verga, Woodbury, Woodbury Heights, Pitman, Franklin, Paulsboro, Westville, Deptford, Cherry Hill, Woolwich and Westmont were observed fighting the blaze.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Residents in nearby areas were not evacuated. Carol A Sloan, a public affairs representative for Sunoco stated that it was essentially smoke, and downwind monitoring done throughout the day turned negative for toxins.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
There was also a fire where I live.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Is that fire where you live at from a refinery? That's what the report is about, the strange coincidences of so many oil refinery fires when Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups have said they would attack refineries. But all of these fires are said to be caused by lightning, snakes, etc...that's what is strange about them.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
There was nothing in the story to indicate anything out of the ordinary. I didn't mean my glib response to be insulting, and I admit that NJ is an epicentre of Islamic agitation but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I didn't take your response as an insult. This must be a pretty big cigar since there have been a lot of oil refineries and other fires due to lightning lately.

Posted on Sun, Jul. 11, 2004. Lightning blamed for refinery fire
ST. PAUL PARK, Minn. - Lightning struck a tank at the Marathon Ashland refinery here Sunday, igniting a fire hot enough to melt the steel tank.

As much as 630,000 gallons of slurry oil - a thick fuel used in industry - spilled or burned, generating a cloud of oily soot that settled onto a nearby residential area.

There were no injuries, and the fire was out around three hours after it started.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This fire started at 5:50 AM when a lightning strike apparently ignited some vapors in the tank and caused the fire.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Lightning seems to be coordinating itself around the States and the world to make fires at refineries. humm...i remember someone mentioning " black winds of death will engulf America"....

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
There have also been a number of power outages caused by fires at substations, and in transformers. Some have been explained, some haven't.

At this point, I am more inclined to believe that "we" have become hypersensitive to these types of stories. I would be willing to bet that these events are not uncommon, but are just getting more press lately.

Oh yeah, there is a pretty big refinery in my town also. If it were to blow, you know cataclismicly, it would take out the entire business district.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Well, this is a list of most, not all, refinery fires since the beginning of 2004 from Steve Quayle.

"Oil Refinery Fires - 2004

July 12
Refinery Blaze - Norway
July 11
Oil Refinery - W. Deptford, NJ
Ashland Marathon Oil Refinery - St. Paul Park, MN
June 17
Rotterdam Oil Refinery - Rotterdam, Netherlands
June 16
Haifa Oil Refinery - Haifa, Israel
June 5
Oil Storage Depot - Neftekumsk, Russia
June 4
Oil Refinery - Trainer, PA
May 25
Pipeline Fire - Venezuela
May 24
Pipeline Fire - Olympic, WA
May 14
Murphy Oil Refinery - Chalmette, LA
April 9
Giant Industries Refinery - Gallup, NM
April 1
Exxon Mobil Chemical Plant - Baytown TX
March 30
Texas City Refinery, BP - Texas City, TX
March 27
Fire Flint Hills Resources - Rosemount, MN
March 23
Tulsa Refinery, Sunoco - Tulsa, OK
March 9
Marathon Ashland Petroleum - Garyville, LA
February 20
Tesoro Refinery - Martinez, CA
February 1
ConocoPhillips Wood River Refinery - Roxana, IL"

Excerpted from.
www.stevequayle.com...

There is at least one fire in a refinery that is not mentioned there.

[edit on 12-7-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
It just seems to me that if we have to connect the dots and struggle to find an Al Queda connection, that it can't be Al Queda. They are big bang guys, nothing subtle about them.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by deevee
It just seems to me that if we have to connect the dots and struggle to find an Al Queda connection, that it can't be Al Queda. They are big bang guys, nothing subtle about them.

There have been fires at pipelines and refineries in the Middle East, but those are reported as terrorism. The Middle East on summer is a lot worse, sometimes temperatures averaging 110-120F or worse, than the States or almost any other part of the world, yet the fires at refineries and pipelines over there are all terrorist related while the ones at the States seem to be all due to lightening or snakes.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Interesting indeed. To my mind the manipulation seems to be in ascribing anomolous incidents in the middle east to terror rather than seeing terror behind anomolous incidents in the US. I could be wrong, and love it when I am (means I learned something
)

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by deevee
Interesting indeed. To my mind the manipulation seems to be in ascribing anomolous incidents in the middle east to terror rather than seeing terror behind anomolous incidents in the US. I could be wrong, and love it when I am (means I learned something
)

Well, i agree with you that one of us is wrong. Who knows, it could be me, but that's why we are part of ATS, to explore and find the truth.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Somehow I think that...
If things are going wrong lately, it's because it hasn't been good for a while either. We are less in the illusion of the world going well.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Here�s the story about the one yesterday in Norway (in english):

www.aftenposten.no...

Apparently there were 2 workers injured there as well...

[edit on 2004/7/30 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I believe Waterford Twp., where I live, also responded to that blaze. I was on my way back from Deptford and was surprised to see our haz-mat team hauling tail in that direction. I was wondering what they were responding to so far in that direction. Deptford is pretty big and I didn't see any smoke but I did smell a burning plastic type smell a few times while in Deptford.

Edit: spelling

[edit on 13-7-2004 by B. Goode]

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Well we all have heard about the explosion in Belgium by now...

Apparently there is right now a fire in an oil-installation in Portugal as well.
Reports of explosions.
Haven�t found this in english anywhere yet, but got this from 2 different news-sources in Norway.

For what it�s worth and for those here who understand norwegian:
www.vg.no...
pub.tv2.no...

2 explosions, cause not known, saturday evening (now), no reported injuries so far...

Now that you�ve heard it, maybe someone can find an english link?

EDIT: Ahhh, finally found one in english (8 firefighters injured) :
www.canada.com...

And here: news.xinhuanet.com...
"About 180 firefighters, backed up by 51 firefighting trucks and other vehicles, were deployed to contain the blaze"

[edit on 2004/7/31 by Hellmutt]

[edit on 2004/8/1 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Well geez. How many were there last year compared to now? That might indicate something.

Then again, maybe these things are just getting old and falling apart.

On the other hand, if these were anything more than what is being reported wouldn't someone be taking credit for it.

I must admit, as posted so far I find it worrisome.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
Well geez. How many were there last year compared to now? That might indicate something.

Then again, maybe these things are just getting old and falling apart.

On the other hand, if these were anything more than what is being reported wouldn't someone be taking credit for it.

I must admit, as posted so far I find it worrisome.

Actually Al Qaeda has taken credit for refinery fires and poweroutages in the US and other places. But it could also be true that they are just claiming these incidents and it really wasn't them.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Actually Al Qaeda has taken credit for refinery fires and poweroutages in the US and other places. But it could also be true that they are just claiming these incidents and it really wasn't them.

Okay, then we have to wonder why we aren't hearing more about these claims. That is after all news, whether true of not if presented as claims not facts.

Any links Muaddib? I'd like to see more about this.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

There is at least one fire in a refinery that is not mentioned there.

I was researching a bit more and I got to the conclusion that the list still far under the real numbers.
Here is an example :
ANKARA, July 25 (AFP) - Dozens of fire fighters on Sunday managed to bring under control a fire at an oil refinery in southern Turkey after hours of battling the flames, the refinery said in a statement. www.turkishpress.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join