It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of Students and Workers March the Streets of London Against Cuts. (ATS Citizen Journalist)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
Do YOU Know What??!!!??

I really wish Labour had won the last General Election

BECAUSE

I'm sure that ALL you Protestors would really Like Gordon Brown ''still in charge''.....!

PDUK

It's the current "system" that's the problem, that's why elections are pointless, Blair, Cameron, Clegg, Brown, etc, all the same.
So, no, I'm sure I speak for the vast majority of protestors, really wouldn't like Gordon Brown "still in charge"

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

New Labour attempted to construct and institutionalise the social and economic theories of one of Blair's 'guru's', Antony Giddens who proposed a post-modernist Third Way

Anthony Giddens, Baron Giddens (born 18 January 1938) is a British sociologist who is renowned for his theory of structuration and his holistic view of modern societies. He is considered to be one of the most prominent modern contributors in the field of sociology, the author of at least 34 books, published in at least 29 languages, issuing on average more than one book every year. In 2007, Giddens was listed as the fifth most-referenced author of books in the humanities.

Three notable stages can be identified in his academic life. The first one involved outlining a new vision of what sociology is, presenting a theoretical and methodological understanding of that field, based on a critical reinterpretation of the classics. His major publications of that era include Capitalism and Modern Social Theory (1971) and New Rules of Sociological Method (1976). In the second stage Giddens developed the theory of structuration, an analysis of agency and structure, in which primacy is granted to neither. His works of that period, such as Central Problems in Social Theory (1979) and The Constitution of Society (1984), brought him international fame on the sociological arena.

The most recent stage concerns modernity, globalization and politics, especially the impact of modernity on social and personal life. This stage is reflected by his critique of postmodernity, and discussions of a new "utopian-realist" third way in politics, visible in the Consequence of Modernity (1990), Modernity and Self-Identity (1991), The Transformation of Intimacy (1992), Beyond Left and Right (1994) and The Third Way: The Renewal of Social Democracy (1998). Giddens's ambition is both to recast social theory and to re-examine our understanding of the development and trajectory of modernity.

Currently Giddens serves as Emeritus Professor at the London School of Economics.

en.wikipedia.org...

We have gone from the New Labour barren hybrid system to the non directly elected Coalition hybrid system that will also prove barren. But it does not matter what beast rules us, outcomes for the common man are never as priveleged or comfortable as those of the policy makers whose heads and hearts are ruled by their own vision of a utopean construct that those on the ground know cannot exist.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
With regards to the cuts, you have to question why the poor are being targeted the most. We definitely arn't all in this together, despite what they may tell you.

I think it is because the "poor" have become reliant on the services provided, whereas the "rich" do not use them so much, so inevitably the perception will be they are being targetted. That said, proposed changes to taxation will put more money in the pockets of the poorest.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by NonKonphormist

NonKonphormist

I actually tend to agree with you that the system is not right !!! we are similar in that respect BUT then what is a more appropriate system ?

Secondly, If the current system is at fault then why weren't all the current 'whining' protesters PROTESTING when Labour was in power !!??!!
My suggestion is that most people Cannot 'divorse' themselves away from a firstly pathetic politcal belief - Read My Signature below - and that everyone has become used to and accustomed to getting everything they really want without working or attaching a value to it !!

Union leaders (?) and Career politicains should be ASHAMED of themselves as their pathetic little self centred speeches and rhethoric only serve to feed the GORMLESS masses whom seem unable to think for themselves or even remember what happend the week before (unless it was some stupid celebrity / popular culture event)!!!.........

I am TOTALLY dis-illusioned with how DUMB alot of the Protestors and agitators are because they seem unable to see the bigger picture......

If they have a problem with certain Corporations then why not use their power and NOT SHOP religiously at Fecking TOP Shop or Vodafone et al................. I'll tell you why, it is because they can't really be bothered and do not really understand !!!!!

Best Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

10% economics. Those poor that rely on services only do so because of the deliberately created next 15% who are employed in the government jobs created to service the bottom feeders deemed necessary for the theory to work!

Tax breaks promoted as being beneficial to the poorest in society are completely dishonest when spending cuts will mean more people will be chasing the jobs that do not pay well. Local authorities are, on average, cutting their workforce by some 1,000 posts, mainly at grass root, front line levels.

With benefit levels also being cut at the same time as unemployment increases and food and utility prices rising, tax breaks designed and marketed as being beneficial to the poor, are meaningless.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
In the long run, you'll discover that as things continue to deteriorate, in all nations, the situation is NOT going to improve. The global technocracy will be man's last attempt at 'self-determination', and 'self-rule', and it will NOT lead to 'peace and prosperity', but quite the opposite.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Great job. S&F&

...Citizen journalism is a good thing, methinks.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

At the police station you have the right: TO A SOLICITOR of your choice (free of charge) and to let somebody know you have been arrested.

Not so. You have the right to speak to a solicitor of your choice, in private. If you do not have a solicitor then the Police will put you in touch with a 'duty' solicitor who will not charge for the initial contact. You do NOT have the right to a solicitor free of charge. That is not quite the same thing.

What I am saying is that the wording is suggesting that you can have the advice of ANY solicitor of your choosing free of charge and this is not the case. The duty solicitor will not charge you. Any other solicitor may.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

You DO NOT have to accept a police or court appointed lawyer. You can exercise your right to select your own legal counsel. You just need to know how to access this free of charge. That is why I provided the link to Urban75. Did you check it out? Lot's of useful information about how to exercise your right to peaceful protest without risking criminalisation.

Carry the contact information provided by Urban75. They can put you in touch with lawyers who provide free legal advice to anyone arrested in protest or direct action situations. Sometimes, such representation is available on the ground, ie lawyers are at the demonstrations, as are off duty medics. Protest organisers may hand out leaflets or cards giving details of legal who will provide advocacy to protest participants.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by teapot

Hi, yes indeed I did read the link - all of it. The only point I was making was that it is not an entitlement to have a solicitor free of charge. The entitlement is to be allowed to speak to a solicitor, and yes the Police will try to put you in touch with a solicitor who will provide free services, who is not the Duty Solicitor.

This is not the same thing as an entitlement to a solicitor 'of your choice free of charge'. I just would not want someone getting antzy about this when they have been arrested, without being in possession of the facts. I could ask for my solicitor for example, but there is no way if would be free of charge, nor could I demand that it was.

<< 1  2   >>

join