It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arabic broadcaster Al-Jazeera banned in Egypt

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Now I'm going to make excuses...

It's early morning and I've been overwhelmed by the shear volume of unprecedented world events happening over the last few months.

Worst part! is that I started reading more BLOGS instead over verified news sources. Appoligies in getting some rumors mixed with facts. The Tunisian family was booted from France *I think* (memory test.)

I went looking again for more info on the Egyptians family because there was only one source that I got that info from and that was late last night.

Thanks for calling me on it.

THAT's we need ... And guess what? I'm human too... o/

edit to add: Between my last post and this post I went searching for more official reports and all I found was hearsay about Egyptian rulers' wife being seen at Heathrow. Not official report so no link.

edit on 1·30·11 by DrMattMaddix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

The saddest thing about this is that our weakness is causing more suffering. Millions of Muslims quietly suffer their entire life, yoked to a system of social control they neither approve of or voted for and there is nothing they can do: for the penalty of apostasy is death.

The weakness we express does nothing to embolden these people who yearn for true freedom, for true individual rights. Our inability to confront the inequalities expressed through the Islamic culture and to work for it's demise only causes these individuals to sink further into the abyss.

Our willful denial that Jihad even exists kills more than our bullets. We just never hear their cries.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

It is cool. However, the UK has harbored dictators in the past. The Chilean dictator General Pinochet, most notably. Back to Tunisia, many members of the ousted presidents family have already been arrested and Swiss bank accounts frozen.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Evan Hill of Al Jazeera just twittered:

Online in Cairo using satellite internet. We now have multiple web producers on the ground and can start bringing you news, 24/7.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Foxoutfoxing

I think Egyptian authorities have no control anymore as protesters have literally taken control of Cairo. In that sense Al-Jazeera can continue broadcasting the events without any fascist police force bothering them, the people of Egypt have Al-Jazeera's back.

Nice to hear.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I've been watching it on and off since this all started. Have it on now and they showed what appeared to be live footage. Is this just old footage?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It's confusing for me, too. Reporters of Al Jazeera on the ground cannot publish their stuff directly, but have to find a way to get it on screen.

But the camera at Tahrir Square seems to be live.
edit on 30-1-2011 by Siddharta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobLeeSwagger
I've been watching it on and off since this all started. Have it on now and they showed what appeared to be live footage. Is this just old footage?

I think live footage is still coming across because the Mubarak government which imposed the ban doesn't have control.

As reported previously, the Egyptian people have full control of Cairo and other cities even though the army is deployed.

You can see the protesters defying the Armies curfew, they are standing around the tanks, it seems the Army doesn't want a bad name, as Mubarak is transferring the power to the Army.

Many officials were forced to resigned, and replaced by Army officers and a vice president has been chosen by Mubarak.

The vice president is the head of the secret service.

So now there is speculation that the Army and the secret service is taking power, that power is being slowly transferred.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
yeah everyone knows that al-jazeera is a first class news service that is totally beyond reproach . seems to me all the pro western governments in middle east are under threat by fanatics fanning the citizens in to a frenzy look out saudi arabia you and jordan are next.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Al Jazeera's Dan Nolan just twittered:

Arrested by military

Journalist Matthew Cassel reported, that arriving journalists are stopped at the airport and cameras are confiscated.
edit on 31-1-2011 by Siddharta because: (no reason given)

Edit to add: Five AJ journos have been arrested.
edit on 31-1-2011 by Siddharta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
6 Al Jazeera journalists arrested in Cairo and their camera equipment seized.

They are still broadcasting live images however.

source

edit on 1/31/2011 by tribewilder because: you beat me to it

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
They are released now, but their equipment was seiced.

Two people on twitter said, they received warnings, that they could be in trouble, when this regime stays in power.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
On the day of the march of the million, Al Jazeera's coverage was disturbed even more with signals of other chanels.

But a few minutes ago Sultan Al Qassemi wrote this amazing news:

Something amazing just happened. Various Arabic channels including Al Hewar started broadcasting Al Jazeera Arabic on their own frequencies.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Hamish MacDonald of the Ten Network Australia just reported, that the military took their camera and discs away, when they left Tharir Square.
First time I hear, the military took such action.

During the day there were rumours, Mubarack had left the land and flew to Bahrain. But his personal pilot later told channe4news, that this was not true. Also Jonathan Rugman said, a reliable source had told him, that the US ambassador had talked to Mubarack today and Mubarack would not leave.

Edit to add: Just read, that Evan Hill of Al Jazeera had to delete a photo he made today. He too says, this was the first time such a thing happened.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Siddharta because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join