It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Video will blow you away: What if...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
What if other planetary bodies orbited our world as the same distance as the moon?
How large would they appear on the sky?

The basic idea is, each planet you see is the size it would appear in the sky if it shared an orbit with the moon, 380,000 kms from earth. This video is created in After Effects, and because of certain technical considerations had to keep the field of view at 62 degrees. That means the foreground element is not precisely to scale. All planets are to correct scale with one another in any case.

Video:
bradblogspeed.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Just in case some have trouble with getting to the blog because of timed out issues or what not here is the link to the video:
vimeo.com...

Anyway very interesting and kind of wished all the planets would have made an appearance, but for what it was I rather enjoyed it

Jupiter now scares me a bit more.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
That was awesome!

I have to agree with Mystique though, Jupiter is terrifying! It would be pretty dark.

I think my favourite was seeing another planet Earth.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
That's a cool little video
. Seeing the other planets in a different perspective.
Yes, especially Jupiter, although I will disagree with Mystique and BRL, I think their fears were heightened by the somewhat dark changes in the music

Edit- Id also like to add that it's nice to see fictional videos on here that are not portrayed as being real.
edit on 1/30/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
I think my favourite was seeing another planet Earth.

Mine too!!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I always like to see things relative to others to gain a perspective of things..

Like BLR and others, the 'sister ' Earth is a great view !!

Have a look at this link

primaxstudio.com...

It is a sliding scale from the universe all the way down to atoms, and everything between.....

It gives a good sense of perspective ME thinks !!

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

That scale is very interesting PDUK. I just looked at that for about 15 minutes and I'm about to start over and do it again.
A nice addition to this thread. Thank you for that.
Probably gave me many more questions than answers
, but I think that's what intrigues me the most about it.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Whoooaaa

Can you imagine the orbital velocity of the earth if we orbited Jupiter at just 380,000 km....

My head is dizzzeeeyyy....

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Star for you! I love this little program thingy it certainly puts into perspective everything around us.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ckno1

I loved it..Really

but my wife wanted to know Why you didn't show Uranus ..?

just asking??

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ckno1

reminded me of this movie from Charles Ames:;

www.youtube.com...

""the powers of ten"",,,(its worth it to watch, 9 mins,, long)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
for some reason I got a real uneasy feeling watching that.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

htwins.net...

The original.
Loads much faster and the credit goes where it's due!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

OptimisticPessimist

Thankyou for this link and you are right Credit the proper authors..

Cheers
PDUK

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
If Jupiter was a solid planet it would have actually scraped the earth out of existence if it was the same distance as the moon. I think even being a gas planet it would just wipe us clean being that close. Just saying, hypothetically. I understand the video is just for "viewing" purposes. Not actual.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ckno1

Nice perspective but the planets are spinning backwards. Don't mean to take the fun out of this video, just something I noticed. This was also noticed by some who have posted comments. I just felt the need to point that out.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by favouriteslave
If Jupiter was a solid planet it would have actually scraped the earth out of existence if it was the same distance as the moon. I think even being a gas planet it would just wipe us clean being that close. Just saying, hypothetically. I understand the video is just for "viewing" purposes. Not actual.

Heh, yeah. If anything, Earth would be orbitin Jupiter and not the other way around. But man, what a view that would be, to have the entire sky covered in planet for half the day

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
whoa that is kinda frightening, even without the sound jupiter looks monstrous, imagine seeing that in the day sky, the whole sky would be filled with its presence :O

It reminds me of a time when i was a kid, i watched this HUGE firework explode not too far from our house, and when it exploded it just went bigger and bigger like it was about to envelop the whole sky before dissipating.
Was a a very uneasy feeling, i get that feeling sometimes when i come close to huge buildings.

I havent seen any skyscrapers or anything like that upclose, Only our national landmark which is like 100 ft high i think or metres not sure lol. And that seemed beyond huge!

Insane, thanks for that video OP, was awesome but frightening at the same time!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
That was cool!!! I wish they had shown ALL the planets tho...Uranus and Saturn would have been neat to see. I also love the kinds of vids showing how big other stars are compared to our own. Those blow me away.Could anyone share with me a link to a thread that has a vid like that? please?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Jupiter (though my favorite planet in our solar system, after our very own blue planet ofcourse) was scary as hell. Blacking out the whole sky that sky like that!

We'd get swallowed up by Jupiter. Earth will get pulled in by his huge gravitational pull and than Jupiter will eat Earth for lunch after he devoured the Moon for breakfast.

So I'm pretty happy with the layout of our solar system the way it is now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join