It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Joint Exercise Slated - Display of New Air Capability/Joint Tactics Expected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
China will stage a joint military operation on Dongshan Island this month to demonstrate new tactics to be used in any Taiwan offensive. China is expected to show a change in strategy, giving emphasis on sea and air superiority, in the exercises. Some analysts believe the balance is shifting in China's favor as regards air capability.

www.spacewar.com
Independent analysts said the focus on air dominance was a message that China was now in a position to attack Taiwan, should it want to.

"The emphasis on air supremacy is central to any PLA offensive operations in the Taiwan Strait, but the Taiwan Air Force has traditionally held the upper hand in this area," said one analyst.

"But as the PLA Air Force has made rapid improvements in this area with significant acquisitions of Russian fighters and attendant weapons packages ... the air balance is now beginning to gradually swing in China's favour.

"This article clearly suggests that the Chinese will use the Dongshan exercise as a forum to show that it can now succeed in gaining air dominance against the Taiwanese, which is a major step in making its threats of the use of military force, including an invasion, more credible."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

SOURCE: AFP

I for one am very interested to see how the exercises fare. There's been a lot of talk on ATS about China lacking the air power nessecary to retake Taiwan. These exercises should provide plenty of material in support of one side or the other depending on how they turn out.

China hasn't been blind to where it stands in terms of military power and seems to be making a lot of changes to modernize and "effectivise" it's forces. I for one expect this to seriously rattle regional powers, if it's pulled off well. Also, I'm sure however it turns out, the US will use these exercises as further justification for developing the F-22.

[edit on 12-7-2004 by koji_K]

[edit on 12-7-2004 by koji_K]

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The answer is really simple. Let Taiwan purchase thier wish list of weapons. If China want to sabre rattle, lets give the Taiwanese a bigger sabre
Ageis for starters, F-16 block 50's, F-15 if they want them. SLAM's and lots of harpoons. More PAC-2's and 3's

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The answer is really simple. Let Taiwan purchase thier wish list of weapons. If China want to sabre rattle, lets give the Taiwanese a bigger sabre
Ageis for starters, F-16 block 50's, F-15 if they want them. SLAM's and lots of harpoons. More PAC-2's and 3's

How childish gibbering. You think China has nothing to offer the world, and no one interested? What about the huge market in Middle East and good partner in South America?

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by zcheng
How childish gibbering. You think China has nothing to offer the world, and no one interested? What about the huge market in Middle East and good partner in South America?

Are you suggesting that China is willing to sell arms to Taiwan? The market for China's copies of soviet designs seems to be limited to North Korea. That and whatever you stole from us....

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Are you suggesting that China is willing to sell arms to Taiwan? The market for China's copies of soviet designs seems to be limited to North Korea. That and whatever you stole from us....

:LOL: Do you know Zimbawe is in negotion to buy Chinese FC-1? The south Africa oppose the deal. China can not sell to countries like US, UK, France, etc. But China can sell to countries like Pakistan, Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Lybia, Syria, Egypt, Burma, etc. Of course they are friends of China, though not rich as US.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The following CRS Report contains some interesting facts about the international arms market... China seems to come 5th in the market share for global arms sales. In 2002 however, this resulted in a mere 1.7% of the global total (with the US having 48.5% and Russia 28.2%). China appears to be focusing more on purchasing than exporting recently.

Conventional Arms Transfers to Developing Nations, 95-02

-koji K.

[edit on 13-7-2004 by koji_K]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
The following CRS Report contains some interesting facts about the international arms market... China seems to come 5th in the market share for global arms sales. In 2002 however, this resulted in a mere 1.7% of the global total (with the US having 48.5% and Russia 28.2%). China appears to be focusing more on purchasing than importing recently.

-koji K.

Yes, you are right. Why US is so concerned of arm sale of North Korea? What if China also want to share good stuff with others like nuke, missile, etc.

When you think what you can do, do not forget others can do the same thing.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
zcheng america never has given nuclear weapons to anyone, not even allies, why did you suggest china doing that?

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   

The following CRS Report contains some interesting facts about the international arms market... China seems to come 5th in the market share for global arms sales. In 2002 however, this resulted in a mere 1.7% of the global total (with the US having 48.5% and Russia 28.2%). China appears to be focusing more on purchasing than importing recently.

-koji K.

Yes, you are right. Why US is so concerned of arm sale of North Korea? What if China also want to share good stuff with others like nuke, missile, etc.

When you think what you can do, do not forget others can do the same thing.

well, the simple answer is, North Korea is not a friendly nation towards the US (or most other nations in the region). China can be relied on to use their weapons with a degree of sanity, while with North Korea this isn't the case. the less weapons they have the better, imo. frankly, I don't think even China wants to see a nuclear-armed North Korea.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   

well, the simple answer is, North Korea is not a friendly nation towards the US (or most other nations in the region). China can be relied on to use their weapons with a degree of sanity, while with North Korea this isn't the case. the less weapons they have the better, imo. frankly, I don't think even China wants to see a nuclear-armed North Korea.

-koji K.

Exactly. That is why US should stop arming Taiwan, an inalienable part of China!

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
ok zcheng, you lost me... how do you get that from what i posted? i'm not saying i care one way or the other about taiwan, just curious what your logic is....

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   

ok zcheng, you lost me... how do you get that from what i posted? i'm not saying i care one way or the other about taiwan, just curious what your logic is....
-koji K.

You answered why US do not like arm sales from North Korea.
My logic is that US should stop arm sale to Taiwan, otherwise China can also sell arms to those nations like Iran, Syria, etc. If China so choose, China can create bigger problem than North Korea.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Maybe I am a bit naive.. *cough*sarcasm*cough*
I don't think simple armor and infantry weaponry sells to either taiwan or N. Korea will have that effect. Toss some Nuclear ICBM's up for discount to either of them and watch both parties panic respectively. This is not good thinking. Taiwan wants it independence so bad, that if they are armed, this could be a thorn in China's side that is lodged deeper. The same thing if N. Korea gets some only the thorn lodged deeper in the U.S.'s side. In short giving nuke's to radicals of any kind makes no sense at all. I say sell only to cool heads that can be reasoned with. Of course, there in lies the problem, who can tell who is sane.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   

-koji K.

You answered why US do not like arm sales from North Korea.
My logic is that US should stop arm sale to Taiwan, otherwise China can also sell arms to those nations like Iran, Syria, etc. If China so choose, China can create bigger problem than North Korea.

ok. well, in that case, i agree. i don't think anyone with nuclear weapons should sell to anyone without. the less of these things around, the better.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
some more info for military hardware fans:

Quoting unidentified sources, the paper, long favored by Beijing for its saber-rattling towards Taiwan, said the exercises would be known as �212 project trial.�

They will showcase nearly all of the Chinese military�s advance weapons, including Sukoi Su-27 fighter jets, the FBC-1 �Fei Bao� (Flying Jaguar) indigenous fighter-bomber and the Il-76 jet transport aircraft, it said.

Also involved will be WZ-9 attack helicopters, the �Xiandai� (Modern) destroyer, the Kilo Class Diesel-Electric Submarine and the Dongfeng 15 Tactical Missile.

�Sukoi Su-27 fighter jets will be outfitted with KN59M guided air-to-surface missiles to shield the tank brigades in making a landing and engage in warfare,� the report said.

Although the troop size in the annual exercise is not the biggest in recent years, the significance is that �the determined target is for the first time the securing of the air control of the Taiwan Straits.�

Source: AFP, Hong Kong
www.defensenews.com...

according to the same article, the trials are set to begin this week.

-koji K.

[edit on 26-7-2004 by koji_K]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
zcheng america never has given nuclear weapons to anyone, not even allies, why did you suggest china doing that?

Beacuse ZCheng lives in a fantasy world. He brags about making things difficult in N. Korea for us. Hmmm is he suggesting that China sponsors Terrorism? In as far as his implied threat that China would give nukes to NK, a friendly little reminder. In all likelyhood the fallout would effect China for years to come.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by namehere

Beacuse ZCheng lives in a fantasy world. He brags about making things difficult in N. Korea for us. Hmmm is he suggesting that China sponsors Terrorism? In as far as his implied threat that China would give nukes to NK, a friendly little reminder. In all likelyhood the fallout would effect China for years to come.

my understanding of the situation is that china doesn't really want to see north korea having nuclear weapons. beijing knows just as well as the US does that north korea is not a predictable country, and having nukes go off on the korean penninsula is not going to help china any regardless of whose they are.

-koji K.

top topics

join