It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada regulator OKs metered Internet billing

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by quackers
Blaming the wrong people. You want that speed available all the time? Well so does everyone else paying for their service. What they do with that service should be of no consiquence to you. Fact of the matter is, Virgin along with every single other provider, over sell capacity. They are unable to provide everyone with the service they pay for and actually rely on people not using what they pay for in order to keep the network ticking over.

If you hadn't paraphrased my post, I actually said that the networks rely on contention and this is for sound commercial reasons. You're hardly making a revelation here.

Virgin specifically target their higher teirs towards heavy users and downloaders then have the gaul to whine about their usage. Those who do attempt to get their moneys worth are punished severely.

They don't actually. I regulalary download 50-60GB a month, sometimes more and have yet to even recieve a letter, let alone be "severely punished". The T&C's when you sign up are pretty clear about the fair use and the contention, so if you don;t read the contract before you sign it, that's your own fault.

Fair use policies exist for no other reason than to ensure providers can continue oversubscribing already saturated networks.

It is not cost effective to give everyone full-duplex, dedicated bandwidth because, for 90% of the population, their usage is bursty, with peaks and troughs and rarely even comes close to using their full bandwidth. If you want dedicated bandwidth, go and rent a 10 or 100Mb ethernet off their business division. Or go for a fibre channel 1Gb or 2.5Gb system. See how much they charge for a full duplex, dedicated system then come and whine about contention.

I would much rather have a truely unlimited/uncapped 10mbit than an halfarsed 50mbit.

Mine is actually anything but half-arse. I actually get my full bandwidth all the time and can download off Steam at 6-7MB's (48-56Mbps). I get my monies worth.

BTW, I started with them back in the early days of Blueyonder, through the NTL merger and then Virgin rebranding and all the while the service has gotten worse the more they have increased network speeds to attract new customers.

I've never had an issue with their broadband service, except for a couple of losses in the past six months because of a dodgy splitter after they put in HD+ for me. Fixed it myself.

Along with those speed increases has come several incarnations of traffic management where there was none before. All ISPs take the michael, none of them are capable of delivering a service to all of their customers all of the time. Now there should be laws against that!

It's all in your contract, if you care to read it. Want a dedicated, full bandwidth solution, go business and then go broke. You're looking at several hundred or even several thousand pounds a month for a full duplex ethernet solution, depending on the bandwidth required.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

But they do target their packages towards downloaders. I've lost count of how many fliers I've had or tv commercials I've seen over the years telling me how fast I can download file song x or movie n. Why else would someone want 20-50mbit download speed if not for downloading?

By severely I refer to their 75% cut in bandwidth for 5 hours during 11 out of the 12 hours between 9am to 9pm (potential reduction till 2am), the time when most are likely to want to use their bandwidth. Of course unless you're top tier, and then everyone else is subsidising your prices ans the reason your 50mbit isnt half arsed is because those on lower tiers must sacrifice their speed to satisfy yours. The T&C might be there yeah, and people should read them but it doesn't mean you have to like them, and as you're unlikely to get any better treatment with any other ISP you just have to lump it.

Cost effective? It's not cost effective to make sure you can supply every one of your customers with a service they pay for? Lets just hope electricity suppliers dont decide to run their operation like broadband providers do eh? If the majority are not going to use their connection to capacity, but the capacity is there should the need it, then it wouldn't matter one iota what other people on the network did as there would be sufficient bandwidth for everyone.

edit on 31-1-2011 by quackers because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I haven't searched to see if this link was provided in previous posts, but there is a petition against the whole charged per mb internet stuff.

Here it is.
Petition

best of Luck, Neighbors to the North!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Industry Minister Clement Responds to Stop The Meter
Submitted by Lindsey Pinto on Mon, 01/31/2011 - 23:46

Those of you who signed the Stop The Meter petition since the CRTC came out with its decision on Tuesday have now received a response from Industry Minister Tony Clement. It's hard to stay silent when 200,000+ people email you.

In his statement, Clement addressed the issue of usage-based billing (Internet metering) directly, stating this decision will be "studied carefully to ensure that competition, innovation and consumers were all fairly considered." We at OpenMedia.ca certainly hope that he means it.

The Conservatives do not have a great track record of living up to this rhetoric - just look at their refusal to come out in support of enforcement for Net Neutrality (Internet openness) after being confronted by the SaveOurNet Coalition. That was an instance in which they ignored the stance taken by hundreds of Canadians and other federal parties, and it doesn't exactly fill us with confidence.

We also notice that Clement's statement stops short of acknowledging the need for indie ISPs to be able to determine their own billing practices and service offerings. We look forward to a future announcement from Clement that includes tangible steps he will take to ensure that Canadians have unmetered Internet access options. Until we see Clement take action, it's essential that we step up our activities.

Clement will no doubt be more heavily lobbied by the telecom industry than any other person in Canada. It's time to take our campaign to the next level.

Visit www.StopTheMeter.ca to sign the petition, and send the Minister an email.
openmedia.ca...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Theres going to be a huge debate on this issue in the parliament in ottawa, no date has been called for, i just saw the report on CP24 local news channel.

I guess petitions do work if you gain more support.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Hey guys,

This image depicts what is occurring in real worlds terms, explaining how it is cheaper to mail data cards across the country than to use the Canadian internet:

Oh Canada....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join