It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyclone headed for Australia's flooded north

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

BRISBANE, Australia (AP) — A cyclone is racing toward Australia's flood-ravaged northeast, rattling nerves throughout a region that has already suffered billions of dollars worth of damage from a monthslong crisis.

Cyclone Anthony intensified to a Category 2 storm Sunday with winds of 80 mph (130 kph). It was expected to cross the Queensland state coast early Monday morning.

The Bureau of Meteorology warned residents in coastal communities to brace for destructive winds and more flooding.

Heavy rains that began in November caused massive flooding across Australia, killing 35 people and damaging or destroying 30,000 homes and businesses.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard called the storm a "big, cruel blow" to residents who have already dealt with months of flooding.

www.google.com...

I hope you guys catch a break soon. You sure could use one. Many of us will be keeping you in our thoughts and/or prayers.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Also there is another building in the pacific called cyclone eleven. About 4 days away.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
thanks for posting! I was going to make a thread on this, but after my flood thread, they are just so much upkeep when they get too big! TC Anthony is gonna hit tonight, but it's TC Yasi that everyone is worried about, the one that's predicted to hit Thursday - it looks pretty freakin' huge!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by aarys

Thanks for that bit of news too. It's scary and tragic.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
What happens when we can prove that some of these disasters are actually man made and not forces of nature? Could some of these "acts of god" actually be caused, not only by HAARP and storm steering technology, but also caused as a result of other man made f* ups like the oil gusher effect on the gulf stream and metallic scatters that have been purposely dumped in the atmosphere (stratospheric seeding)?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

I guess it would be ridiculous of me to ask what the general mood is there now? I can't imagine how scary it is for some to keep getting pummeled.

I truly hope the weather improves soon for you guys.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by aarys
Also there is another building in the pacific called cyclone eleven. About 4 days away.

Pretty sure that's Yasi - They officially upgraded it this arvo

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by bkaust

I guess it would be ridiculous of me to ask what the general mood is there now? I can't imagine how scary it is for some to keep getting pummeled.

I truly hope the weather improves soon for you guys.

Well i'm in Brisbane, so we should be alright here, but I think people are prepped for Anthony, but Yasi seems pretty bloody scary! They are telling everyone to stock up and not panic buy, but (and i'll link it at the bottom) QLD Police & Anna Bligh gave a press conference this morning, and they really couldn't say where yasi would hit - just that they were possibly looking at 300-400km winds, compared to anthony's 120-140km winds. Just hoping Brisbane & Gympie etc are spared the rain again (I heard on the news I think it was, that most of the rain from a TC is on the bottom of it) So if it hits Hervey Bay, we could potentially get alot more water in our catchments which we really don't need right now! I think they liked Yasi to similar to TC Larry, which pretty much destroyed Innisfail in 05'

Press conference with QPS & Anna Bligh

edit on 30/1/2011 by bkaust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

What happens when we can prove that some of these disasters are actually man made and not forces of nature? Could some of these "acts of god" actually be caused, not only by HAARP and storm steering technology, but also caused as a result of other man made f* ups like the oil gusher effect on the gulf stream and metallic scatters that have been purposely dumped in the atmosphere (stratospheric seeding)?

Oh dear, how many times must you be told, its La Nina, the West Coast of Australia just had one come down to the south west ( Perth). luckily it fizzled out to a bit of wind, why because it ran out of warm water. the last one to come down this far was Alby which just by chance or not it was another very high La Nina year, that year was 1978.you reckon they had harrp cloud seeding in 1978

[I]reply to post by bkaust

just that they were possibly looking at 300-400km winds,

That is mind blowing mate. I have read about it all day and following the track, Some are saying this system could be the biggest to ever hit Australia. Our thoughts are with the Queenslanders stay safe

Wal

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Storm2K is a good Forum with lots of Information on those Cyclones.

Storm2K Yasi Thread
Storm2K Anthony Thread
edit on 30-1-2011 by Shenon because: Correction

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Oh dear, how many times must you be told, its La Nina, the West Coast of Australia just had one come down to the south west ( Perth). luckily it fizzled out to a bit of wind, why because it ran out of warm water. the last one to come down this far was Alby which just by chance or not it was another very high La Nina year, that year was 1978.you reckon they had harrp cloud seeding in 1978

Am also so sick of Haarp being blamed for pretty much everything! We have a very long history of cyclones, in QLD, WA & NT - some, like Yasi, are much bigger - but we're always guaranteed a few every year. I just assume they are bigger and are going to be more frequent with La Nina.

just that they were possibly looking at 300-400km winds,
---

That is mind blowing mate. I have read about it all day and following the track, Some are saying this system could be the biggest to ever hit Australia. Our thoughts are with the Queenslanders stay safe

Wal

I know - I heard one weather dude call it a 'mega-cyclone' I mean, 400km a hour winds?! that's ridiculous!! I wouldn't think much could withstand that could it?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
the cycloones are being tracked in the Extreme & Unusual Weather thread as well as the Hurricane/Cyclone/Typhoon thread.

Let's hope Yasi doesn't go beyond a cat. 3.

new topics

top topics

join