It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does Obama support the protestors in Egypt, but let the protestors in Iran die?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

So the US is manipulating to give Islam greater control?
Scary thought and it has crossed my mind as well. Thanks for your reply.

edit on 30-1-2011 by beezzer because: because I can't spill

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I'm not sure your premise is correct.

IMHO the US govt did support the protests in Iran as much as they were able. Iran is an enemy state after all. Strong US tub thumping would have been a gift from the heavens for the Mullahs in Iran. You have to remember the protests were about a rigged election. They wanted a fair election to install a moderate. Not necessarily to overturn the whole regime overnight. The only real defence of the mullahs was to accuse the protestors of being US stooges, therefore the US had to walk a fine line so as not to give them more ammunition. What was done wont be forgiven or forgotten by the Iranian people and the resentment will eventually bear fruit. The regime will change from the inside if we can avoid giving it legitimacy in a war.

Egypt is different. The current government is a US stooge so for the US this whole situation is highly inconvenient. The US needs a compliant Egypt as a stabilising factor which is why the current nasty regime has been pumped up with cash for 30 years. Egyptians and other Arabs suffer under tyranny to buffer Israel and keep the oil pumping. This has been policy since at least the Eisenhower era. Who cares if the people are tortured as long as the boss man toes the line? It works but unsurprisingly this breeds resentment in the vast majority of the regions peoples. When the state department talks of allies in the region they refer to the power elites. Not the people. This notion is offensive to the vast majority of americans who genuinely believe their country is a force for justice and democracy everywhere. It cant really be acknowledged that the US prefers compliant dictators. Its embarrassing. Hence all the tap dancing from Obama/Clinton.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

It cant really be acknowledged that the US prefers compliant dictators. Its embarrassing. Hence all the tap dancing from Obama/Clinton

The US desires calm. The US desires peace.

For decades the global powers have tried to bring peace. They are realising now that the forces of Jihad have been playing Western powers for fools. If it is Jihad they want it looks like it is Jihad they will get.

Expect less and less US involvement in the lives of those in the Middle East. We tried, but it just didn't take... Freedom and enlightenment that is. China is the place to be now. The Islamic world can wallow in Jihad. The planet moves on. At least China makes stuff. What does Egypt make? Anything?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Most of the protesters in Iran were protesting against the results of the presidential elections, some wanted a complete change of government and rid of the ayatollah but the majority were only protesting against the elections, the Egyptians want complete regime change and won't settle for anything less imo. And the USA and western media in general did support Iran, things like twitter,youtube and facebook were used for propaganda purposes by governments along with of course genuine Iranian people. Egypt is extremely important to America, and i have no doubt that in the background American,European and Israeli officials are desperately trying to make sure they keep Egypt under their thumb no matter the outcome
edit on 30-1-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Maybe the US is secretly supporting the democratic cause and the replacement of the current ruler of Egypt who has been in power for at least 30 years. Regime change seems like something the US might support especially if the leader of over 60,000 to 70,000 are willing to follow him. Knowing the US is not necessarily well liked, it may even be part of the plan to reveal the current leader's ties to the US.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
It makes more sense to me that the US would be supporting this if certain people were making plans 3 years ago. Of course with any plans, things can deviate and get out of control.

I wish good luck to Egyptians in taking back their country from their current ruler.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hillbilly123069
Because he's an idiot. Just like these other boneheads in DC that think more gov. rule is the answer to all the worlds problems even though history shows that, without exception, more government is more trouble for those not in the "ruling class."

I agree with the sentiment about our current rulers. I believe they are idiots when they believe bigger government is the answer. I believe many Americans would like regime change here as well but we're content to wait until the next election. Sometimes both choices for president seem to stink here though. I'm hoping things improve here. A large percentage of the population here now expects government handouts so they will likely vote for a bigger government. Eventually our whole system will collapse and our money will be worthless if this continues. Then the US will have a revolt and riots in the street. I hope things don't get that bad here.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno

The US desires calm. The US desires peace.

Surely you jest? The US desires peace? Tell that to all those who have died because of US foreign policy on behalf of the banks and corporations over the last few decades.

For decades the global powers have tried to bring peace. They are realising now that the forces of Jihad have been playing Western powers for fools. If it is Jihad they want it looks like it is Jihad they will get.

You seem to be blaming the troubles in Egypt in this and a previous post on the Muslim Brotherhood, when in fact it is the vast majority of Egyptians, Muslim and Coptic that are on the streets wanting Mubarak gone. Trying to pin this on one group as some sort of Jihadist takeover is laughably inaccurate, though I'm sure there are some in the MSM who will push this angle.

Expect less and less US involvement in the lives of those in the Middle East. We tried, but it just didn't take... Freedom and enlightenment that is. China is the place to be now. The Islamic world can wallow in Jihad. The planet moves on. At least China makes stuff. What does Egypt make? Anything?

You seem to not care that a lot of Americas oil imports come through the Suez Canal, and it's stragegic importance. If the US interferes too much, or tries to impose it's will through a new puppet government, that access may be stalled or cut off. If that happens, just watch the price of oil rise for everyone.

See, it has nothing at all to do with religion or political affiliation, and everything to do with the people having had enough of decades of a dictator, propped up by the US and Israel, to the detriment of the Egyptian people.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

If you are being oppressed and the leading light of justice and democracy in the world (USA) supports your oppressor with money and weapons who do you turn to? The anger in the middle east is dangerous and I worry about the rise of Islamism. Steering away from total disaster requires understanding how it got this bad. The rise of Islamism is an evil fuelled in part by the wests bungling and naked self interest. Rose tinted spectacles about our past behaviour and stupid 'they hate us because we are free' simplifications will get us all killed.

Case in point. A whole generation of arabs has been schooled in hate at religious schools built and funded by the Saudi Arabian regime, with money made by selling oil to the world. The same Saudi Arabian regime that is another dictatorship and US ally. The same Saudi Arabia that is currently condemning the protestors and supporting Mubarak (who doesn't have the oil but gets US support on anti Islamism ticket).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join