It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court won't hold 'Don't ask, don't tell' lawsuit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

SAN FRANCISCO – A federal appeals court has denied the government's request to suspend a lawsuit challenging the military's ban on openly gay servicemembers.

Anyone watching Obama's SOTU speech will recall him remarking on this issue.

The appeals court did not explain in its order why it rejected the request. In his State of the Union address, President Barack Obama said he expected to finalize the repeal and allow openly gay Americans to join the armed forces before the end of the year.

Meanwhile after miles and miles of red tape.... people are still in the process of being discharged for being gay. Nevermind the fact that they are sacrificing, and dying just like the rest of the soldiers who are "normal".

Cooper, an Army reserve officer, said he knew of at least one service member facing a discharge hearing next month, even as the Pentagon moves forward with its training plan.

Really? I mean really? I refuse to believe the legal process can't be speeded up a bit! I can't believe we even need the legal process for this. The man/woman who is fighting beside you and for you and based on what they do behind closed doors makes them somehow less than acceptable? This is outrageous IMHO. The sheer fact that this needs to be politicized and run through the courts is insane.

You want people to serve? Quit treating them like second class citizens and let them bring who they want to the Company picnic!

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 1/29/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
The idea that in the 21st century we are still marginalizing groups is beyond me...

Oh well. Freedom is a slow process, and as such one should have patience.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

You are correct. I just hate seeing people continue to get shafted by bureaucratic red tape when it's not neccessary. A better job and more effort would not be frowned upon.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
First my personal and political standing in regards to the DADT issue: So what. If they want to sacrifice their freedoms to fight for the country, let em!

Now my real world experience: What happens when a gay E-4 doesn't get promoted to an NCO position? Will they claim discrimination because they are gay? It happens anyway regardless of sexual orientation, but I feel this will lead to multiple lawsuits based on a perception rather than facts.

I have no problems with whomever may serve, but I fear they will use their new found and unspoken protected status to get what they want....just like a female troop. I know that sounds callus, but nearly anyone that is or has served can vouch for that statement.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
First my personal and political standing in regards to the DADT issue: So what. If they want to sacrifice their freedoms to fight for the country, let em!

Now my real world experience: What happens when a gay E-4 doesn't get promoted to an NCO position? Will they claim discrimination because they are gay? It happens anyway regardless of sexual orientation, but I feel this will lead to multiple lawsuits based on a perception rather than facts.

I have no problems with whomever may serve, but I fear they will use their new found and unspoken protected status to get what they want....just like a female troop. I know that sounds callus, but nearly anyone that is or has served can vouch for that statement.

Well, I wouldn't call it a "protected" status just because you can no longer get away with discriminating against it. It is illegal to discharge me for having two eyes and a nose but that does not mean that having two eyes and a nose is a "protected" status. People feeling discriminated against is common across the board. I bet you will have just as many straight guys complaining that the gay dude got the promotion because he was gay. It's a non-issue because, to make it an issue, is to open a never-ending can of worms that may or may not be there.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

I understand your point. But there will always be an idiot in every crowd. It wouldn't be right to deny whole groups of folks certain rights because a few may turn out to be trouble makers. If that were the case we would all be SOL.

edit on 1/30/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

top topics

join