It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Caught CENSORING controversial SOHO Image

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

Well NASA has been doing exactly what I quoted since STEREO was first placed in orbit.

I mean if they didn't release the images of the sun until the high resolution images are available, there will be those who question why.

No matter what they do, it won't be enough.

So, choose and believe what you will.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I am fairly sure that NASA have deceived the public in the past.

Basically, I do not understand why it would take 3 days to produce a high resolution image. I can understand it taking the digital signal taking longer to reach Earth, but not by days.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I don't have the answer as to why it takes so long.

They don't have to even share Stereo, SOHO or SDO images, but they do.

But again, if they didn't, it would be a conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

I suppose you could say that they don't have to share anything at all. The point is though, all data obtained by NASA belongs to the US tax payer. It should be shared with the owner of the information and that owner is the millions of citizens who pay for it.

Conspiracy or not, it should not be seen to be some favour to the public that the data is available. It belongs to the public.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

I doubt there isn't much that isn't publicly released by NASA actually, the majority is stuff you and I wouldn't understand, we get pretty pictures and the physicists and other scientists get the hard, raw data.

Everything NASA tells us is peer reviewed.

Remember the recent announcement of the arsenic based life forms?

This theory has been about for a good 5 years or so, it had to be peer reviewed before anything official could be released.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I agree that they do release huge amounts. The suspicion is still there that they continue to edit images, partly based on insider reports that it happens and partly on the botched editing in some older images.

Peer review is fine but rarely takes 5 years outside of NASA. 5 years is too long for a discovery to surface IMHO. It just seems overcautious and comes across like a drip feeding of data to the public.

I am awaiting an answer from NASA about the time it takes for the high quality images to reach Earth.
edit on 31/1/11 by Pimander because: Add last line

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The space agency has been accused many times of withholding and airbrushing etc...
What about the high exec marcell something or other who said they sirbruched stuff out regulaarly?
If you were to ask the american public if they are getting their monies worth of transparency id say theyd just laughj at you...
Id like to know what those things that walson guy is taking pictures of are...and why cant nasa explain them too?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I made a request for information about why it can take up to 3 days for the high resolution SOHO images to reach the website. Below is a response from Bill Thompson at NASA, Goddard Centre.

Pimander:

Most of the time delay between the taking of the data and the conversion into images is taken up by the time it takes to deliver the telemetry to the instrument teams.

The process starts inside the spacecraft when the telescope images are converted into telemetry packets by the instrument electronics. These packets are delivered across the spacecraft bus and stored in the solid state recorder until a telemetry connection is available. The recorder can store about 1.5 days worth of data, although this depends on the SECCHI daily scheduling. About once or twice a day a connection is made with one of the NASA Deep Space Network (DSN) antenna stations around the world to downlink the data. The recorder isn't always emptied on every pass, so sometimes the data being downlinked is from today, and sometimes from yesterday or even the day before. Now that the spacecraft are so far away, it takes some effort to get down all the data, and not overfill the recorder.

The telemetry collected from the various DSN stations is then collated together into a single daily telemetry product. This is done in a central facility which handles all the NASA missions supported by the DSN. Duplicate packets are filtered out, and the packets are arranged in time order. This product is then delivered as a file transfer to the STEREO Mission Operations Center, where it is then made available to the instrument teams on the web. The instrument teams then download these files and process them.

All the telescopes onboard STEREO belong to the SECCHI instrument suite, run out of the Naval Research Lab (NRL). Up until the point the data reach NRL, they are still in packet format. It takes specialized instrument-specific software to convert the packets into images, and this is done at NRL. This is typically done after a delay of two days, because it takes that long to get a complete packet file which covers the entire day. Once the telemetry is processed into FITS image files at NRL, they are automatically copied over to the STEREO Science Center and processed into JPEG images. Copying over the data and processing them into JPEG format takes a few hours.

Bill Thompson

William Thompson

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Code 671
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA
Source: Private email

Most of the time for the images to reach the website is accounted for here. However, as it takes a long time, an hour of editing would not make much difference

Judging by the reply there are only 2 possible points the images can be edited. One is the Naval Research Laboratory. The other is at the STEREO Science Centre. I will look into these possibilities with further correspondence although realise that if there was any cover-up of anomalies, not many will need to be involved and I may not even get to query anyone in a position to know.

In the end it looks likely that all images could be checked at some point before publication. It remains an open question whether NASA continue to censor or just filter out useless junk images.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Face it.As long as there is a delay of any such length of time, there is ample time for editing the product.
Much of which could be filtered out by computer.
The suspicion will always be there till there is transparency of a higher order.
Say have a university lab do the naval labs job.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join