It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Govt. Forced Indian Students to Wear Radio Collars On their Ankles.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Duped Indian students in US radio-collared

First, they were duped by the Tri Valley University in California. Then, many of them were forced to wear radio collars around their ankles so that the authorities could keep track of their movements. Since the collars, fitted with GPS technology, are used to follow suspects and criminals on related stories. India has asked the US authorities to remove these “unwarranted monitors” and treat the students fairly.

Source

What kind of sick mentality makes someone to treat people like animals, these students are not some illegal immigrants they have paid a lot of money to these universities and have visa and student work permit.

I like American people but the govt. they are under is one of the most devilish govt. in the world, what do you think.

ETA: changes made so that some sentiments are not hurt.
edit on 29/1/11 by vinay86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This certainly does not seem right at all. Are we the worst in the world, I think that is an exageration.

I am surprised other students, Americans, did not get angry about this and help these Indian students to get rid of this humiliation.

It seems more and more my government does not represent me, I am not paranoid.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Let's not be too hasty here. There are some comments in this story that don't add up. Like the following.

First, they were duped by the Tri Valley University in California.

How were they duped?

“We requested the US state department to take a lenient view because the students are innocent,” he said, adding that there were now enough pointers to establish that the students were victims of no major fault of theirs.

Innocent of what? Victims of what?

“We have conveyed to the US authorities that using collars to monitor a group of students, who were detained and later released, is unwarranted. The devices should be removed.”

Detained for what reason?

A large number of Indian students had got transferred to Tri Valley from other US universities

Why were they transferred?

There are way too many questions marks in an incomplete story to make a judgement about this. I'd like to know more first. Is there anything you can tell us further OP?
edit on 29-1-2011 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

nope..
I don't believe it..

one photo cropped and mixed with another...

no proof......

i don't trust the source

IMHO

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

Duped Indian students in US radio-collared

These types of tactics seem to have become a norm in the States...They may want to reconsider settling down there - it doesn't seem to be working out for either side.

So...get educated at home, go abroad at your own risk; be prepared for a taste of nationalism - watered down or not; don't assume the local culture is going to accept yours nor modify their own quality of life for an 'opportunist'.

Seems pretty cut-n-dry to me...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
There is already a thread on this abovetopsecret.com...

The school was a sham, it was set up to bring Indian "students" into the US on student visas and oops they dropped out.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
This may shed some light on the matter:

Hundreds of Indian students face deportations from US after their university in Silicon Valley – Tri Valley University was shut down on charges of immigration fraud.

source

More on Tri-Valley:

Tri-Valley University of Pleasanton is being investigated by federal officials who claim the college is a front for illegal immigrants to come to the U.S. under false pretenses.

Pleasanton Weekly

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Thanks. Now this story makes sense.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I think US media is censoring this news that is why you guys are not getting it through CBS, New york times, Washington post etc. Hindustan Times and Times of India are the most reliable news source here in India.

Watch the video on this page and decide for yourself:

WASHINGTON: After being duped by a California-based "sham" university, scores of Indian students in the US are now enduring the ignominy of being forced to wear radio collars around their ankles so that authorities can keep track of their movements. Read more: Indian students duped by US varsity forced to wear radio collars.

The students, mostly from Andhra Pradesh, may also be deported as authorities shut down Tri-Valley University in Pleasanton, a major suburb in San Francisco Bay Area, on charges of a massive immigration fraud.

A number of students were interrogated by authorities and also forced to wear radio collars fitted with GPS technology to track their movements.

Times of India

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

Yeah, I saw that one too.

Don't you find it odd that 95% of the "student body" were Indian and almost all of them were from the same province. Isn't that just strange? Also, the school said that half of their students lived in one apartment complex, but the apartment managers said they only had 4 students and they left 2009 and haven't had any since.

www.mercurynews.com...

I'm sorry but this smell of scam. I do not feel back that they have to wear ankle bracelets without being in school they are completely illegal. DHS is looking into the possibility that real students could transfer, but Tri Valley University was never actually accredited so that may be difficult. Otherwise they face deportation, and you can't deport what you can't find.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

No, we actually have coverage from the "bigger" news agencies:

But in a government sting operation, Su was caught giving F-1 student visas to undercover agents posing as foreign nationals, who told her they wanted to come to the U.S, but had no intention of attending classes.

Fox News

And a bit on CBS

Originally posted by searching4truth
reply to post by vinay86

Otherwise they face deportation, and you can't deport what you can't find.

IMHO,the "bracelets" would seem a preferred alternative to being locked away in a cell for who knows how long until all the particulars are worked out.

edit on 1/30/2011 by TNTarheel because: formatting

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
The issue here is not whether these students are illegal or not or they even are students. The issue here is fair treatment of a human being, if i put a collar on you how you would feel (like an animal).

But many of you have desensitized yourself because of tyrannical rule of your govt., that is why you don't feel anything. No offense intended, but i think half of America is under mind control.
edit on 30/1/11 by vinay86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

Oh okay. Then they should be chucked into a prison until the whole mess is sorted out. But wait, then wouldn't they claim the students were duped into it had done no wrong? Shucks, there's no winning here.

I would prefer house arrest over prison any day.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TNTarheel

That was exactly my point, as I said early I don't have a problem with the bracelets.

From what I have read the school was set up to assist Indians in coming to the US and use educational visas to facilitate their objective.

Now, to maintain your student visa you have to attend class, which means even if these students were taking online classes it doesn't count, they physically must attend a class/school. Now, as I see it the DHS is now trying to weed through and determine if these people thought were actual students and working on degree.

The issue though is that this school was not accredited and transferring to another institution would be difficult. They could try to be admitted as a beginning freshmen however this may prove difficult with the situation that they are now associated with, and financially for them.

Also, let's not forgot that a student without a visa is subject to deportation. Which ICE or DHS have not done, they are looking at alternatives, however the devices were placed on the students so that they slip away. And yes they could go sit in a detention center, but the government hasn't done that either, which I think was kind of them, and not in mocking way. According to the law they should be on a plane back to India, we haven't done that. The should be sitting in a detention center until this is all sorted out, potentially years from now when it goes to trial, we haven't done that either. We put the same bracelets on them that we put on people on house arrest. I think the government was very passive in their decision of how to deal with the situation.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by vinay86
The issue here is not whether these students are illegal or not or they even are students. The issue here is fair treatment of a human being, if i put a collar on you how you would feel (like an animal).

How are the tracking units unfair? If I went to India under the exact same circumstances, would I not be subject to the laws in India? If I broke those laws (knowingly or not), would I not be subject to the penalites for my actions (duped or not)?

A GPS unit placed on an ankle isn't a collar placed around a neck.

But many of you have desensitized yourself because of tyrannical rule of your govt., that is why you don't feel anything. No offense intended, but i think half of America is under mind control.

I am not insensitive to the plight of these students (or anyone else caught up in the laws of a foreign country), I never said that I didn't feel sorry for their plight, and I'm sorry you feel that I am. My first impression was to feel sympathy with how frightened they must be. It HAS to be terrifying to those who came in good faith.

I may not agree with everything my government does, but I've seen worse. I control my own mind.

Originally posted by searching4truth
reply to post by TNTarheel

According to the law they should be on a plane back to India, we haven't done that. The should be sitting in a detention center until this is all sorted out, potentially years from now when it goes to trial, we haven't done that either. We put the same bracelets on them that we put on people on house arrest. I think the government was very passive in their decision of how to deal with the situation.
(emphasis mine)

And, again, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The consequences could have been much, much more severe. The government could have "acted first and asked questions later" instead of allowing them to stay here until the whole mess was sorted out.

edit on 1/30/2011 by TNTarheel because: typos and formatting

edit on 1/30/2011 by TNTarheel because: more of the same

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TNTarheel
How are the tracking units unfair? If I went to India under the exact same circumstances, would I not be subject to the laws in India? If I broke those laws (knowingly or not), would I not be subject to the penalites for my actions (duped or not)?

I know how the law system works here in India, if someone came here under similar circumstances they would put him in jail, they wont spend money on expensive radio tracking equipments, local police stations do not even know how to operate a computer, tracking someone is too far fetched for our technologically illiterate law enforcement system.

I know that America is a rich and dominant country and i believe third world countries are its experimentation grounds, i also know that radio waves can cause behavior modification, i believe those students were part of their experimentation. You can laugh out loud on me for saying that......but i know behind the veil of different governments, different countries everything is same and vile.

edit on 31/1/11 by vinay86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

Okay, that sounds far-fetched, but let's go along with it. First of all how do you know what you know? Please don't say internet because you can find anything on the internet, including conspiracies about Santa Claus. I really doubt the trackers were placed to control their minds, but simply to make sure they do not slip away and become illegal immigrants. Would you prefer they go to prison?
edit on 31-1-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
Would you prefer they go to prison?

No, I would like them to send the students back to India, because the university they applied to was fraudulent, so they are innocent in my perspective. Why law agencies want to track their movements, they are not criminals are they. Putting radio tags seems totally bizarre to me, these type of incidents happen all over the world but i have not heard of any other country following these type of inhumane procedures with students.

How can they become illegal when they have all the necessary paper work.

edit on 31/1/11 by vinay86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

Many of them may have knowingly broken the law. They should go to a detention center until the mess is sorted out. I personally see it as better than going to a detention center.

Have you never heard of house arrest? You are usually forced to wear these things so you don't break the sentence. I see nothing "inhumane" about it. If they had money and were technologically advanced it would probably be done in India too. It's about as "inhumane" as locking a criminal in prison. "What sort of bloody animals are these people for locking people inside a building like pets?" is something that could be said about prison too, but you don't seem to have a problem with that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join