It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The US Dollar Losing It's Value And Position?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Is anyone else wondering why Obama keeps talking about the recovery of our economy while all other evidence (and Expererts) points to a downward spiral???? I get that he has to keep US Citizens (and illegal immigrants) feeling secure at some level. But at least address SOME of the economic issues. Below are some things to think about.

1. City in Massachusetts using new/different acceptable local currency called Berkshares (as in Berkshire Mts) and have got 1.3 million in circulation, as we speak? (Is our American money losing it's status?)

2. HSBC, the largest Bank in Mexico, will no longer accept US dollars as deposits in Mexico?

3. In Amsterdam a women from Ohio could not convert her US currency because NO ONE WOULD TAKE it?

4. Projected food shortages for 2011?

5. Projected water shortages for 2011?

6. US DOLLAR LOSING WORLD RESERVE POSITION?

7. Discovery Bay, CA banning cash transactions?

Any thoughts???

edit on 29-1-2011 by Angelicdefender2012 because: added an additional line that was pertinent.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
edit on 1/29/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I think the USD has lost pretty much all credibility and for such a great nation it is truly a shame

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelicdefender2012

Did you notice in the S.O.T.U. address instead of using the word 'stimulus' or 'spending' he said 'investing'.
Yeah...were 'investing' in the future of America by giving gov bonds to every country whilst racking up our debt.

I wonder if the Chinese finally figured out that our dollar is worthless...........

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

I'm not sure that it's worthless because they have been buying up MOST of the metals for security. China and Russia have been anyway. And.....they will only accept the actual metal in hand.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelicdefender2012

Yes it is. However...its being manipulated downward. Its not an accident, mistake, unintended or unexpected. A cheaper dollar means more domestic products are exported because they are cheaper. We need more exports right now because economic turmoil in the U.S. has prompted people to increase their savings rate and decrease their discretionary spending. Its not moral, ethical, legal or internationally acceptable. It is in fact a disgrace that our leaders still chastise china for currency manipulation, when in fact the U.S. has always done what it could to manipulate ours. imo

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The dollar has no value.

The perceived value is totally dependent on how many are in circulation.

In other words, they're not worth a damn, and are increasingly worthless.

We're way over our head in debt. We'll never, ever get out, and at some point will have to start over without the damned FED.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Oh my... this is not new at all. You don't have to go all the way to Amsterdam to get your US$ turned away... I remember in 2007 when the US dollar had slipped so far the two bars I worked in (and many, many other places of business) stopped accepting US currency as cash and that was in Toronto, Ontario Canada.

It was like that was for a good half a year until the US$ climbed back up a little more then the Canadian dollar, however it has never risen much more then that since. The Canadian dollar has once again overtaken the US$, and as soon as it hits anything more then a 10 cents rise again businesses will stop accepting US money once again. Reason being because the cost of converting US$ back into Canadian dollars isn't worth it.

They are projecting a 25 cent increase in the Canadian dollar over the USD by the end of the year...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Just like a peanut butter sandwich...
once you cut that sucker in half
all the flavor runs out.

This isn't the first rape of (the) America(s)
( this isn't the first time the great white father has spoken (and written treaties) with a forked tongue)

reserve currency:
you have had the currency
what till you see your (fema) reserve
edit on 29-1-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Just what FarArcher said.

Keep in mind, the Federal Reserve Note we call a dollar has not been backed by anything tangible since 1971. It is backed by the "full faith and credit" of the US Government. What is that worth? Increasingly, less and less, no matter how much, or how little, they print.

If you're going to back a currency by your "good word", it would help if people didn't know for a fact that you were a liar. Is there anyone in the world who actually believes that we invaded Iraq because of weapons of mass destruction? Is there anyone in the world who actually believes that we give a rat's patootie about human rights, when we torture people in Guantanamo? Is there anyone in the world with a double digit IQ that honestly thinks that the US will not lie whenever it suits them? What is the "full faith and credit" of the US worth, if you can't have any faith in the US Government?

Obama's main job is to smooth over the fact that we have sold our future generations to the banks and insurance companies. The Federal Reserve Bank will help him as much as possible by printing more money (Quantatative Easing). This will have a temporary effect: people get more money, businesses hire, etc. Hopefully, this will be enough to get Obama re-elected before the negative effects catch on. Inflation will be a huge problem after 2012. But in the mean time, he has to sell a rosy picture of the economy. If people believe him, the illusion will last longer.

The big problem is the Chinese. If they don't continue to finance our country, who will? Who can? I think originally, they intended to use our debt as leverage against us, a strategy Tsung Tsu would have approved. But they are beginning to realize that we have no intention of honoring our debt. Mathematically, we couldn't, even if we wanted to. So now, they are going to build up their military. It's there only option, if they want to secure the natural resources they will need in the future.

Just the way I see things, anyway. For what it's worth, when it comes to the Banks vs. China, I think the Banks will win. Look what they've done to the US. It's kind of funny when you think about it. China has more people with an IQ over 120 than the US has people, but they are just as screwed as we are.
edit on 30-1-2011 by VictorVonDoom because: spelling pfffft

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by loagun
Oh my... this is not new at all. You don't have to go all the way to Amsterdam to get your US$ turned away... I remember in 2007 when the US dollar had slipped so far the two bars I worked in (and many, many other places of business) stopped accepting US currency as cash and that was in Toronto, Ontario Canada.

It was like that was for a good half a year until the US$ climbed back up a little more then the Canadian dollar, however it has never risen much more then that since. The Canadian dollar has once again overtaken the US$, and as soon as it hits anything more then a 10 cents rise again businesses will stop accepting US money once again. Reason being because the cost of converting US$ back into Canadian dollars isn't worth it.

They are projecting a 25 cent increase in the Canadian dollar over the USD by the end of the year...

Yes, our Canadian dollar has never remained this strong for this long, that I remember, and we're told it's staying like this for the foreseeable future. It used to be, our Cdn money was laughed at and not accepted in certain places in the USA. Now, it's the other way around.

Also, it used to be, when our dollar was too strong, our export market suffered. I'm not sure about our exports right now, but our economy is still very strong. It might depend on the province, but Saskatchewan has never been better. I guess it helps that are getting strong trade with other countries besides the states.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Also, it used to be, when our dollar was too strong, our export market suffered. I'm not sure about our exports right now, but our economy is still very strong. It might depend on the province, but Saskatchewan has never been better. I guess it helps that are getting strong trade with other countries besides the states.

I think that if our dollar here in Canada stays above the U.S. dollar, you will see that it does indeed hurt us in exports. Although it's good for the average Canadian, overall in an economic standpoint, it's not the best thing that could happen.

at least that is what I am told on the news, but how much of that is true is anyone's guess..

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

I think that if our dollar here in Canada stays above the U.S. dollar, you will see that it does indeed hurt us in exports. Although it's good for the average Canadian, overall in an economic standpoint, it's not the best thing that could happen. at least that is what I am told on the news, but how much of that is true is anyone's guess..

I think our government was sort of ready for it. It slid up so slowly, and while the US government was busy telling their in debt people to get out and spend more, our finance minister was telling us to slow down spending and get out of debt if possible. They're also looking into making sure that when we're in our senior years, that we'll have money coming in. They realize now it seems, that Cdns haven't been able to save, the average person hasn't had a wage to keep up with cost of living going up so much. Yes, our CPP expense is bound to go up.

We've been setting up more trade with India and China, which should help. We were too dependent on trade with the states before, so we're trying to branch out. As long as the other countries taking our exports have a strong enough economy themselves, I think ( I hope) it'll all work itself out, eventually.

I think the people working in the resource based jobs/careers will do the best. Manufacturing depends on how our expanded trade countries are doing.

I've noticed lately, watching both American and Cdn news, that whatever Obama tells the US people to do, our guys tell us the opposite. It seems to be working in our favour, so far.

Now, since we have our own supply, and extra cold winters, if they could just lower our cost of oil/gas..........

edit on 30-1-2011 by snowspirit because: added

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I defer to you as although I can balance my chequebook, I am very ignorant on economics as a whole. I do agree that Canada is in a much better position as compared to the U.S. , but again, that is just what I hear on the news.

Meanwhile, I am trying to save some money here as ordering from the U.S. is getting more and more attractive everyday...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Of course Canada is in a much better position then the US. I have traveled to the US in the last few years to various places, and it is obvious to the naked eye that things have changed for the worse.

I think you would agree that if you looked at Canada over these past few years dating back to right before the recession, or even going back to the turn of the millennium Canada has remained pretty much the same on the inside. Of course our country's image has changed as Canada became the 'smart one', and the other top nations.... well not so much.

The best thing that happened to Canada was softwood lumber dispute, and the US ripping Canada off big time. Why? because it angered the Canadian government to no end, and drove them to break away from the US economy, and branch out into the world.

Today either country has become a polar opposite of the other. One being comfortable, with resources to burn on a rainy day, and the other beyond debt.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Bretton Woods...

doubt anything bad is going to happen to the US dollar.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

join