It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, you think the youth are brain dead? Listen to this girl's graduation speech.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This girl is a valedictorian, listen to what she says. This girl is awesome. I think she really "gets it."

naturalnews.tv...

And, she's got a lot of guts. If she ran for president, she might just get my vote.

Troy

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Yeah, already posted last summer: abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
That's awesome she gets mad props from me.
She sees the system set in place that she is told to follow.
And while she does follow it amazingly well to get valedictorian,
she knows there's more to life.
And that it's the path that matters, not the goal.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

why would she get your vote? What she just said in front of everybody is that she never retained her knowledge and was just good at taking tests. She is the reason why our workers suck at their jobs because they focused to heavy on the grade and not on fully understanding the subject matter which they are taught. The grading system is retarded and doesn't teach anything because they only teach bits and pieces instead of the whole hoping the kids will fill in the gaps. The problem is they are trying to teach to much and its too fragmented. English, math, history science and PE lol. For the first few years it should only be English and math because once you get a grasp on them the other things come way easier. And once they are learned there is no need to teach them anymore. Lets say it takes to middle school to fully teach English and Math. Thats 4 years of teaching them non essentials like science, history and P.E. .Now imagine no prerequisites in college as Math and English have been learned fully that would give up 4 years more of being able to focus on different subjects and not needing to fragment the classes into highly different subjects. The result would be college students coming out of school with the capabilities of a masters degree student.
edit on 29-1-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
i could read the same script as she did, would you applaud me

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nonetruegod

Only if you intentionally meant to be ironic in regurgitating a piece about critical thought.
You know, like in an Andy Kaufman sorta way...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
OMG! Can anyone provide a transcript? I could not understand her speech through the nasals. I had to stop watching the video. I kind of hard of hearing and would prefer to READ what she had to "say" instead.

edit on 2011-1-29 by pikypiky because: To add more "food for thoughts".

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

what an excellent and thought provoking reply .
I wish the highschools throughout the UK could adopt your principles and stop forcing useless subjects/ topics into the brains of our children and allow them more time to cencentrate on their chosen options.

Star for you

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Here is a link, that has her speech in it, in written format.

americaviaerica.blogspot.com...

I think she said things pretty much the way they are in the education system. You memorize a bunch of stuff only to forget it, and get a piece of paper for it. Memorizing is not necessarily understanding. Now, the system is even worse, it's even more about just sitting in your seat like a lump, and listening, or acting like you are listening. If you can't do that, they have drugs for you so you sit there like a zombie. Our creativity is being deadened, and creativity is one of the most important things ever.

You can't really blame the kids that go through the system, the system isn't really set up in a manner where you really retain anything, because you didn't really understand it in the first place.

The thing about her speech is...., how many of our youth would actually have the guts to stand up and give a speech like this? The education system doesn't want free thinkers, free thinkers are dangerous. People who think for themselves might just figure out things. They might just see the world as it actually is.

Troy
edit on 29-1-2011 by cybertroy because: Found the link

edit on 29-1-2011 by cybertroy because: words missing

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy

I think she said things pretty much the way they are in the education system. You memorize a bunch of stuff only to forget it, and get a piece of paper for it. Memorizing is not necessarily understanding. Now, the system is even worse, it's even more about just sitting in your seat like a lump, and listening, or acting like you are listening. If you can't do that, they have drugs for you so you sit there like a zombie. Our creativity is being deadened, and creativity is one of the most important things ever.

You can't really blame the kids that go through the system, the system isn't really set up in a manner where you really retain anything, because you didn't really understand it in the first place.

The thing about her speech is...., how many of our youth would actually have the guts to stand up and give a speech like this? The education system doesn't want free thinkers, free thinkers are dangerous. People who think for themselves might just figure out things. They might just see the world as it actually is.

Troy

The educators drool over the chinese system and wnat to reproduce it here in america. So police state + rute learning + lack of funding + overmilitarized nation + etc. We're really in for it.

I got a 3.8 in HS and a 3.8 in college. I was close to 4.0. I procrastinated non-stop like most do. I forgot most of what I learned. Getting good grades didn't help me at all. I'm living my parents and I'm 33. Teachers liked me because I wasn't a trouble maker. So here I am a star pupil. Whatever. It's funny to me that people who got worse grades than me ended up much better off. Strange ain't it. To be honest, the challenge is how to take tests, not how to retain it. And more bluntly, I'm not even sure it's possible to retain everything. So much of it's trivial. I don't think it matters, either. What matters is that growing youth get through college and get a good job. Bottom line.

A lot of skills you need to succeed in life are learned OUTSIDE SCHOOL in work. School is just test taking. That's my short and simple summary of school and my thoughts about it.

I think our biggest problem is our military. It's overfunded and the two wars are just proof that we're crazy and treating every problem as though it requires a bomb. We need to hit /rewind or something.

Just watch. We'll blame the wrong people (make a big show about it) and then sweep it under the rug so that no further attention is given to it. Even the people in control are as clueless as we're.

Business as usual. This nation doesn't want to change. It's addicted to oil and guns.
edit on 2-2-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

Thanks. After reading her speech, I was awestruck. It's not important "what to think" but how we think and why those decisions are important in creating a future of endless possibilities.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

Originally posted by cybertroy

Troy

The educators drool over the chinese system and wnat to reproduce it here in america. So police state + rute learning + lack of funding + overmilitarized nation + etc. We're really in for it.

I got a 3.8 in HS and a 3.8 in college. I was close to 4.0. I procrastinated non-stop like most do. I forgot most of what I learned. Getting good grades didn't help me at all. I'm living my parents and I'm 33. Teachers liked me because I wasn't a trouble maker. So here I am a star pupil. Whatever. It's funny to me that people who got worse grades than me ended up much better off. Strange ain't it. To be honest, the challenge is how to take tests, not how to retain it. And more bluntly, I'm not even sure it's possible to retain everything. So much of it's trivial. I don't think it matters, either. What matters is that growing youth get through college and get a good job. Bottom line.

A lot of skills you need to succeed in life are learned OUTSIDE SCHOOL in work. School is just test taking. That's my short and simple summary of school and my thoughts about it.

I think our biggest problem is our military. It's overfunded and the two wars are just proof that we're crazy and treating every problem as though it requires a bomb. We need to hit /rewind or something.

Just watch. We'll blame the wrong people (make a big show about it) and then sweep it under the rug so that no further attention is given to it. Even the people in control are as clueless as we're.

Business as usual. This nation doesn't want to change. It's addicted to oil and guns.
edit on 2-2-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

You know, I haven't really used many of the things I learned in school, math, reading, and writing, and typing, are the real ones that are used. I took small business management courses in college, and I haven't really used any of that stuff to any degree. I used other ideas to start my business. I didn't go the business plan/loan route. Free or cheap ads in the local papers have been part of my foundation for building my business.

Troy

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

American students should know Algebra I & II by grade seven.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by NaturalCut

Yeah, Algebra is actually quite useful. Yes, there are times to use an equation. I've done it.

I think the earlier years through high school should really build a fundamental foundation. And, honestly some of the subjects are there, but, really the education just isn't happening. Dictionaries are absent, and barely used, so it's no wonder kids can't spell or read like before. No wonder they hate school, they don't understand it. Compare this to someone who went to school many years ago. These folks had a robust vocabulary, they were more literate.

Dreams should really be nurtured in school. We could really use some creative folks coming out of the system. We need our dreamers. The problem is, if you show disinterest or aren't paying attention, you are thrown on drugs, and forced through the system. How does that educate our young people? Sure they sat there in class and didn't interrupt anymore, but they are zombies. How much is a zombie actually going to learn?

The system is actually wrong in the way it crams people through it. People read at different speeds. You want to make a school system work? Let people study at their own pace, taking time to clear up misunderstanding of the material. Some people will go fast through the levels, and some will go slower, but the product you get at the end will be an educated person, ready to apply what they have learned.

I've seen some people come through the system these days, they are clueless. And that's some people. Some still manage to come through the system in pretty good shape. The girl who made this speech seems like she might just understand the difference in memorization, and understanding. I can memorize a book, word for word, but what use is it to me, if I don't understand what I read?

Troy

top topics

join