It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Education in groups, discrimination against the poor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I am looking for information about how years ago kids were put in groups in early education like k-3. The higher group, middle group, lower group. This was supposedly their learning levels but in truth was a sly attempt to put the higher income kids in one group and the poorer kids in another and then the middle group pretty much did not fit either. I as a child was put in one of the groups as soon as I walked thorugh the door, the only info the teacher had on any of us was our parents income level, amazingly enough, the kids at the front table the higher group all had one thing in common they came from the higher income families, and got 90% of the teacher's attention; the kids at my table also had one thing in common we were poor. I'm looking for responses about if you were in one of these groups or perhaps any internet websites about it. i have looked for the past hour and can't find any, am I the only one that recognizes these groups existed and why, and that there was serious discrimination against the poor in education? Help!

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Forget it I have looked for four hours and there are no websites that shows that this took place in the past, anyone else recall being seated in these groups.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I do recall back in my earlier days being put into similar groups were the poor were discriminated from the rich via education means. But im my case it occered in junior high. My school was a crowded school and like many today had oversized classes. But for a fee of an extra few 100 bucks you could get into a smaller class were the kids payed for a more educated teacher that focused more on them as the class sizes were smaller. As i recall the new class's where about 18 kids each, instead of 32 in a normal unpaid class. I hope this helps u in any way.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I have read somewhere i dont remember where but i wilil try to remember anf post something about the governments plan to keep the poor even poorere because of lack of education isnt this why many african americans and hispanics are mostly under poor because they dont get he education and since many africa americans were discriminated during the era of reconstruction they wcouldnt get good education which menat they couldnt get good jobs and they had children and the procerss continued correct me if i'm wrong but i think thats how the poverty cycle works

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I went to school in a very small independent district, and in my town most people were poor, some extremely so. When I started 6th grade, the number of kids that year was supposedly too large for the portable classrooms the 6th grade used, so about 14 of us were reassigned to the class of one of the 5th grade teachers. We were in the same roon with a small 5th grade class, but we were doing what we were told was "advanced" 6th grade work. Some of the kids in my group weren't from the top of the grade standings, I know I wasn't, but that's why we were supposedly grouped together. After about a month, some parents realized our group wasn't on a tougher curriculum, and started a drive to have us put with the other 6th graders. I think the parents of the 5th graders we were in a room with also had concerns about how much attention their own children were receiving. So, we were moved into the portable classrooms, which must have grown overnight because we certainly weren't overcrowded. Looking back years later, I realize that although most of the kids in my group were reading on a consistenly high level, we mostly had a higher family income than some (but not all) of the other 6th graders. So I wonder if maybe it was some type of experiment the school was conducting, looking for a way to segregate economic groups.

top topics

join