It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do you go find a good conversation with people who read books... ATS!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I find it quite refreshing to have found a place where people read books on a regular basis.

I mean, think about it. Where in life do you go to find people who actually read books now a-days?

There are lots of Borders and Barns & Nobles where people buy them... but would you consider having a conversation with one of them? They would look at you with fear in their eyes and walk hurriedly away.

If your lucky and live in the right city you might find a book discussion group at your local library... but how many of those would be willing to read books on the topics we discuss here on ATS? It would be lovely to hear from those of you in such a group who suggested reading any of Jim Marrs' books at the next meeting...

People just don't sit down and discuss anymore. While more plugged-in and on-line than ever before, we become increasingly isolated by the very technology created to bring us together. Strangers live in the same house. People do things off-line to have something to Tweet or Facebook about on-line.

Husband and wife sit abed with their laptops occupying their attention. Their children Play-stationing from their rooms. When's the last time you heard a kid to ask to "go outside and play" or heard the parents suggest it?

I'm almost 40, not old... but I feel generations apart. My mind saturated with enriching and esoteric knowledge from the brightest minds of the ages from many faiths and scholars gleaned online. Imbibing works impossible to find even 10 years ago.... or prohibitively expensive. They are free online from any number of digital sources. A vast library that exceeds the wildest dreams of any philosopher.

Yet how many today invest in reading a fraction of this vast panacea of knowledge for healing our minds, hearts, and souls? Let alone discussing it?

Well, no mater if it's raining outside. ATS is always open for those precious, prescient people prepared to pontificate probity and propagate propitious points proudly probating philosophical petrification!

peace,
pianopraze
edit on 29-1-2011 by pianopraze because: typos

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

I think you need to look for a better book store. I have a Nook e-book and was in Barnes and Noble today and there was a book group getting together in the coffee shop. Same thing on my last date night with my husband at Borders....on Friday night they have live local music, and reading groups by interest throughout the week.
Finding a book-group about the esoteric things talked about on ATS might be a bit harder. I looked for a book on "chemtrails" and found only contrails mentioned in books about weather. They do have a paranormal section, a few sections about "alternative" topics like natural health and lifestyles, and a large section on UFO's. Books in general circulation about other topics like conspiracies...fiction! (Just kidding, they are usually in the history section).
There is one book I would love to read and talk about at ATS: "Voodoo Histories, The Role of Conspiracy Theory in Shaping Modern History", by David AaronovitchB&N synopsis It would be a source of lively debate. The author strives to deconstruct the major conspiracies by looking for the source of each, shows how each conspiracy is most generally a rehashed modernization of conspiracies from the past, and presents a case against each using logic. I love it!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I have always been an avid reader. I have been devouring books left and right for 40 years now. Though I do love coming here and going to other sites to chat, nothing beats a good face to face conversation.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

I am always in the middle of a book. After experiencing no electricity for 5 or 6 days last year, the inherent
value of books was made even clearer to me. God forbid there is ever a massive electrical outage for any
great length of time. people will go nuts. Literally. Any way check out C Span BookTV. They have great
interviews with authors, and it is a cool book club for Non Fiction. In fact it is on TV right now. The current
author was just praising wikileaks for providing investigative journalism that MSM is so lacking these days.

www.booktv.org... Thumbs up from a fellow bookworm

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Yes i totally agree as would most Sonof that face to face discussion with multiple like minded folk would be much prefered, unfortunately no one i associate with are willing to accept let alone discuss the topics i like, thank god for ATS!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

I guess the only thing going away quicker than real books from the stores and libraries are non-chain bookstores themselves!

Our public library is talking about transitioning to paperless!

I hope I die first!

top topics

join