It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt (video): Army intervenes to protect protesters from police

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Egypt (video): Army intervenes to protect protesters from police

www.boingboing.net

All text for this article is included in the clip.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 29/1/2011 by nerbot because: added youtube clip

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Well this is interesting. From what I can see, the army have provided a shield for some of the Egyptian protesters, not because they are supporting them as such, but because they are trying to prevent more bloodshed. The police are probably getting trigger happy and the army know it.

On the flipside, the army could be protecting the police and trying to stop them being charged/overwhelmed by the protesters.

How long will this all go on?

Certainly a turn up for the books.

Check out the comments section, it makes interesting reading.

www.boingboing.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

yeah it looks to me like the army is stopping them from charging, but they don't want to be dicks about it. Seems like ever since the army showed up, the wind has been taken out their sails a bit, cause they are trying to win the army over. Wonder if it'll work.

I've also heard from various places that that isn't the army at all, it is the presidential guard which is totally seperate.

Not sure.
edit on 29-1-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
If that shows the army in egypt with those tanks(?) then I hope they don't use those tanks in any kind of war situation.
They look like little toy tanks.

It does look like the guys with the little tanks are trying to diffuse the situation at least.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Setting the stage for a coup d'état?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

S&F.

That is incredible video and it shows just how unstable things are there. Reminds me of when Boris Yeltsin stood on an armored personnel carrier in the soviet union and there was a firefight at the Russian "White House"

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

Not tanks. APCs or scout vehicles.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
This is an interesting element in this ongoing development.

The military is definitely playing peacekeeper in this instance. And it appears their presence kept the police from doing anything stupid. Had they of fired, they may well have had the military unload on them.

I'm curious to see how this all will play out, from the civilian end, the police end, the military, and of course the highest ups which these people are desperate to remove from power.
edit on 29-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
We have to now ask the question - who is the commander in chief of the Egyptian army?
I think that's critical.

Who is giving them their orders?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ommadawn

I believe its the guy that he just elected vice president.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Oh come on now they were supporting Police in order to stop the blood shed of the people yeah but were the tanks guns facing the police or the people? THE PEOPLE

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Holy #, are those police officers at 1:53 throwing rocks at the #ing protesters? That's how you professionally handle a situation. Armed with tear gas and beanbag shotguns they resort to throwing rocks.
What a shame to be born into this generation of stupidity.
edit on 29-1-2011 by DevilDog0311 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
More people are dying the longer Mubarak drags this out. He should just give up his power as there's surely no going back for him anyway. Looks like he has control of the police, but the military are kind of waiting around to takeover or something.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Hitoshura

I fear that martial law will only make thing much worse for the people.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by iLoGiCViZiOnS
Oh come on now they were supporting Police in order to stop the blood shed of the people yeah but were the tanks guns facing the police or the people? THE PEOPLE

These are NOT TANKS!

They are "armoured vehicles", there is a big difference.

I imagine they faced the protesters because
a: they probably have their heaviest armour at the rear and it wasn't the protesters who had the guns.
b: they didn't want the police to think they were being offensive against them but defensive towards the protesters.
c: they were maybe expecting to drive slowly after the protesters as they retreated to continue the barrier and shield.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Jon Jensen's film is one of the clearest I have seen; his time at the University of Flordia seems well spent.
I thank him for capturing this footage. I'd like to hear more directly from him regarding what he thinks went on in that street that day.

As of now, I second a previous post, Which Way Are Those Tanks Facing?
And I'd like to take that view a bit further: Why are there tanks there at all??

I know the military might want to view itself as useful or helpful to the people, but, for decades, it has been anything but. Presumably blocking bullets with their tanks from the police force's guns should not be a redeeming moment that is highlighted.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY.

I don't get it. We can clearly see, the MAJORITY of the country does NOT want Mubarak as their president, yet the guy thinks he can just say,

"No, No, No... You see I shall just rid my gov't people and hire more COUP friends".

BS, God bless the egyptians, may god guide their dreams... to reality.
Mubarak and his government are a pool of nothing but foulness.

Keep throwing the rocks and be fearless.

They say curfew, you say f---.... well you know.

But on a realistic note, we know who ever takes control of egypt ( if the douche does indeed step down), will be just as corrupt as his predecessor.

I keep hearing talk about how it will be a "jihadist" success, which I think is a little over blown, these people on the streets are not all muslim. I think this is to put focus on Israels security.

God forbid, someone open the gates to Gaza and give the people some god damn food.

DOWN WITH MUBARAK

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen if the police accidently kill a member of the military. Things could get very nasty.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by iLoGiCViZiOnS

a: they probably have their heaviest armour at the rear and it wasn't the protesters who had the guns.

Really? Armoured vehicles have their heaviest armour at the rear?

Preposterous! I've played way too many video games to ever believe such poppycock.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I wonder what the chances of a civil war are in Egypt right now.

Thing's are pretty volatile. A stray bullet or two could lead to a skirmish which could lead to wider conflict.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join