It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Gave You Peanut Butter? Make Some DIAMONDS Then!! A Guide to Make Diamonds From Peanut Butter!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
www.rangeguide.net...

Making diamonds in the microwave / Joe Champion Recipe [Do not do this experiment without competent adult supervision!]:

STEP 1

Using a pyrex microwave cooking dish with lid, place two charcoal brickets covered with 4 ounces of peanut butter inside. Microwave on high for 60 minutes at 10 minute intercals.

STEP 2

When cool enough to handle, take the dish outdoors and place on top of an unlit barbque grill. Remove the lid form the dish and saturate the charcoal and residue with charcoal lighter fluid. Light the charcoal (Note: At this time the diamonds are made, this procedure is reducing the excess carbon to ash.)

STEP 3

At this time you should have a dish full of a gray/black soot. Carefully scrape this soot into a dark colored dish and gently wash. The ash will wash away leaving the diamonds you've produced.

I was checking my Facebook and one of my friends posted the obscure fact that one could make diamonds from Peanut butter. Unbelieving, I had to then google it, and when I did I came across a lot of hits for this! The one I am sharing is just one link.

So, does anyone believe this? Is the science correct?

If this is true, then anyone can have a diamond, for Peanuts!!

And if this is true, it would seem there is a huge conspiracy to keep the knowledge from being taken seriously or widely known, because if this is the case, anyone could have diamonds!

I have an old microwave, and was wondering if anyone felt this would be safe to try out. I am not saying I will try it, but man I am VERY tempted!!

Please share your thoughts on this finding!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Mythbusters busted this one a while ago.They had a whole episode on phoney diamond schemes.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Really? This is what we've come to?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Peanut butter and charcoal eh? Should I use chunky or smooth?

What about propane?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
What do you mean by this statement? Care to expound?

Originally posted by ghaleon12

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Did they? I wonder if they have shows online. It sure does sound too good to be true.

Originally posted by lonegurkha
Mythbusters busted this one a while ago.They had a whole episode on phoney diamond schemes.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Mythbusters also 'busted' the Moon landing Hoax(they sided with NASA), so it's obvious they have been influenced...

I'd say it is worth a try. In fact I am tempted to try it out myself, I just need to get my hands on some charcoal brickets...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
Peanut butter and charcoal eh? Should I use chunky or smooth?

What about propane?

Not Hank Hill!! Oh no!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Something tells me this is not true, the lack of science provided. But... if you can get some of Michael Jackson's hair, you can turn it into diamonds.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Artificial diamonds can be made with peanut butter or a heap of other stuff that contains carbon. It does take a lot of heat and pressure though. If any are made with this technique then they will be really small, dust size maybe. You could still use them to coat saw and knife blades if careful about it. The heat from the microwave would do a good job, but also need pressure to make decent size ones. It could get dangerous if things get beyond specification. The method outlined sounds safe to try it out.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
There was an episode of horizon (UK TV show) that covered this a few years ago. It is possible, but you need to excert extreme heat and pressure for a few weeks in order to get results. A lot of diamonds that are used in industry are produced like this. It should also be noted that man made diamonds can easy be told from real natural diamonds so if you do make any then dont be expecting to get a lot of wonga for them

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by loagun
Mythbusters also 'busted' the Moon landing Hoax(they sided with NASA), so it's obvious they have been influenced...

hi loagun, your team needs you at this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

unless of course you imply that they were influenced by sound scientific reasoning, the sort that has resulted in the materialization of just about every object in your field of view right now.

PS, im gonna give this a shot. We once microwaved a loaf of bread for 1hr as a prank during the old school days. Nothing but carbon black remaining. No diamonds

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
pretty soon the space above will probably contain a deleted post. So I will jump in with the following reference that shows it is scientifically possible

news.bbc.co.uk...

but requires high pressures, perhaps out of the reach of ordinary folk.

The question of whether this is a conspiracy, the answer is no. The diamonds produced turn out murky with a brown discoloration. Thus they have little value. But they are useful for engineering purposes.
edit on 30-1-2011 by pezza because: add last paragraph

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

this post is so funny and sick.
I suggest removing part of it
before a mod does.I will give you
a star for making me laugh.

Op,interesting little thread.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by RestingInPieces

this post is so funny and sick.
I suggest removing part of it
before a mod does.I will give you
a star for making me laugh.

Op,interesting little thread.

You were right!. I guess a post describing diamonds created from urine is not appropriate on ATS. It's just obviously a taboo subject.

lol.

edit on 30-1-2011 by RestingInPieces because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12

Really I don't see you contributing ANYTHING to the boards but rudeness.

Do you know what forum you are in? "Science and Technology" which is what this is, science being put to the test. So get off your high horse.

OP sounds cool, I love PB. I'm crazy enough to try this lol but I will spare my roommates microwave

Would be neat to at least try. I always liked doing things like this

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Can't find the full episode but here is how artificial diamonds are made, the type used in diamond saws etc:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I JUST made a diamond using this technique! I'm rich!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I watched a show on how they 'grew' diamonds from smaller diamonds, but not from peanut butter.

High temperatures and high pressures are needed, ones that you would probably not get from a microwave.

top topics

join