It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corporations decide what Americans see on TV

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by aarys

Please change the title of your thread to comply with the T&C of this forum.

That said... your preaching to the choir in here.

I quit watching TV years ago... 2-3 years with no cable. Internet is my only source of news.

Increasingly ATS is my news source as they vet things better than any other place I know. You get a real balanced view as you hear from all sides and the middle on any given news topic. Many people are dedicated to certain topics so they can give you lots of links to research and make up your own mind. That is the only way to really be informed.

Did I mention ATS rocks?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by aarys

This American's brain is unwashed.
I get all my brain washing here on ATS.

Nah... not brain washing. Just massive paranoia that I have to take a break from occasionally, but I'd rather be here than watch tv any day.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
Haven't watched TV in 7-8 years now. My family and friends all think I'm crazy.

I don't know what the popular shows are now and don't follow the canned news so I'm seen as backwards and out of touch.

I have less stress and know more about what's going on outside of the US but those aren't benefits according to some.

3yrs going on 4 in my case. ditto

they don't call it "the boob tube"/programing for nothing.

all my entertainment needs are satisfied by the internet. will be watching the latest Naruto Shippuuden and Bleach tonight.

don't read newspapers either.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Haven't watched TV in 7-8 years now. My family and friends all think I'm crazy.
reply to post by badgerprints

Same here, buddy! Conversations usually go like this:

Friend: Did you ever watch Lost?

Me: Nope.

Friend: Have you seen < insert random movie title here >

Me: Nope

Friend: OMG, did you watch Glee last night??? It was awesome!

Me: What's Glee?

Friend: You suck.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

just switch to watching other people watching TV/becoming slack jawed

TV puts you in a hypnotic state

like the avatar ,loved the series, and had a crush on Barbara Eden when i was a kid.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by aarys

The problem is most people don't understand that the media can't be trusted to tell us the truth. They also think that the president runs the show which is not true either its the people behind him and they don't go away when he/she leaves office.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I echo the sentiments of others on this thread.

Shut my hypnotic idiot box off years ago and have never looked back.

It is the greatest weapon those in control have against the masses. It is literally a societal herding and shaping medium.

Do yourselves a favor if you have not already, and at the very least cut down on your TV time, and get out into nature more often. You will feel a million times clearer and more at peace in no time.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
And they are not any old corporations either. Having said that tv is ok only for entairtainment purposes and absolutely nothing more. If you relly on the news for you facts then your very naive to put it mildly. Even ATS is getting a little too mainstream for me lately.

Its like driving a lamborghini and then be asked to drive a ford pinto...no way!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I had no idea so many people have stopped watching TV.

I always feel like I'm the only one.

Other than the occasional glance at cable news, I'm pretty ignorant about what's on tv. In fact, the other night, I unsuspecting received a brutal lesson in where TV has gone. (You can read about it here.)

I think for the most part, corporations advertise where they have a market. But because I don't watch much TV, I'm pretty ignorant on that subject too.

I will say that after what I saw the other night, our culture is in real trouble.

I had no idea.

:shk:

I'm not sure how one could argue that corporations want that.

edit on 29-1-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Several huge corporations own major networks and newspapers in the U.S. How much of the content do they control?

There are now several corporations and smaller companies on cable that run TV programming..Not but 30 years ago that was only about 3 corporations. If anything sources of information and differing opinions are expanding.

Secondly, no one controls what I watch. I control what I watch.

Proof of that is all the people in this thread who claim to not watch TV anymore. If it's that big of an issue for you turn it off. Just because it's a "corporation" doesn't inherently make it "evil". I'm sick of this mentality.

I hope you folks don't ever start a successful business...You won't be able to handle it when every hippy on the planet calls you evil for it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I have bee T.V. free for 2 years now, and man what a difference in the way I feel. Yes, feel, I can now see the effect T.V. played on my emotions. I have a T.V.=rise in depression theory going on.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Those that would control you appeal to sex, fear, greed and power.
Those that would help you appeal to love, reason, charity, logic.

Doesn't mater if it's TV, a religion or community organization. Watch to which brain they appeal and you will know their intentions.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by aarys

You're spot on there, But this isn't something localised to the US.....I haven't watched t.v for 7 years now and anytime I am exposed to it I feel violated......
This control device...Manipulation tool......Insipidly poisoning your minds, paralysing you with distraction,Fear,invented and fabricated terror,repeated over and over and over until you forget the questions you first thought when this incredulous "evidence" was slipped in with your viewing pleasure and as the ever repeated key words become familiar to you they become accepted as part of life,of our reality,of truth but never of fact....
Drilled into your subconcious as you willingly invite the suggestions of devious,ruthless, morally inept organisations who have only their interests in profit and maintaining their positions of power over you on thier agenda....
It is universally accepted by modern science that when the human mind is subjected to emotions associated with fear it becomes very open and accepting of suggestion, How many times this evening as you get your daily dose of recommended reality will you be exposed to words and phrases like War on terror,Terrorists,Panic,fear or crisis and the threat of some drastically over-emphasised end to our way of life that only our government can save us from???
More than you realise!!
Until you become aware and start to notice the repetition ( we all know that our minds develop and learn by repetition) you will be the product of their ideas, of their world, Of their plan and ultimately of their continuation .

The diversion, so misleading,Misinforming you,dumbing you down,Keeping you entertained with things you are told are important but do nothing to improve your wellbeing or our unified development and progress as a species, blindly accepting your engineered lifestyles, The recommended way to be happy and contented, soaps tell you how to behave,how to dress,what to spend your money on if you want to fit in and be accepted as normal like everyone else,Telling you constantly that it's socially improper to stand out,to have opinions and ideas that don't benefit The rest of society(the established power system).

By drip feeding us fear and convincing those who have been sheilded from the facts and fed establishment truths from infancy we ourselves have now created a society where we do thier bidding for them,Ostricising any people who choose a way for themselves that doesn't fit with the prescribed way of being a normal and furthermore "good" citizen. Isn't it time we started asking questions that give US the facts so that we can form our own truths,Questioning why the measure of our success is gauged by the sweat on our brow.

Their true intentions are thinly veiled...It's not that we are too stupid to see through it, We just trust and beleive T.V on a subconsious level whether we want to or not, and whether we think consiously that we beleive it or not doesn't matter either....If we didn't subconsiously beleive what we are watching then why does our heart beat faster during an exciting or scary scene???? Because on a subconsious level our minds cant distinguish between tv and reality.....And of course the corporations that control what we watch have known this for a long time and have been using it against you, designing and moderating your lives and behaviour, secretly governing you for as long as you've been allowing them to.

By Mixing up the carefully controlled,edited content,Some that is purposefully and very skillfully crafted to show you and convince you how your life(shown as the very similar and familiarly comparable lives of soapactors) is all micro drama and daily depressive drudgery is entirely aimed at lowering your self worth and Your expectations of life, And then using the other edge of the socially crippling sword of corporate control Many others are designed to make you feel inadequate, highlighting the shortcomings of your efforts to be happy, Telling you that if you want to be contented and secure that you should purchase a particular product or subscribe to a certain lifestyle that is portayed on the screen by perfect people,Thin,attractive,popular and carefree....This is the illusion that they NEED you to want, They depend on you feeling insecure and inadequate(and who wouldn't when you're told you are over and over by your t.v).
It is the intention of those who govern us,who control the content of your (mis)information,Who distort your perception of normality and reality and to conceal and divert your attention from the truth.....That you are being lied to and you have always been lied to!!

Every night sitting on your sofas,switching off your minds,swallowing this debillitating prescription medication designed to produce one outcome....a subdued,distracted,entertained and easily controllable population.

From the moment the corporatocracy understood the real underlying power of television it became a weapon....
A weapon that we kill ourselves with in the security of our own homes,
That we kill our children with,
Are we too entertained to notice that the corrupt power/money hungry elitist organisations are raising our children on a diet of fear,insecurity,sex,violence and inadequacy?
Are we too entertained to realise that the things we are allowing ourselves and our loved ones to accept as reality are the bullets of deceit, fired from the weapon of misinformation creating the next generation of braindead members of a sickened society and compounding and reinforcing the illusion of freedom we have been subdued into accepting?

Are we entertained yet?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I'm probably older than most here and remember as a child we as a family would watch a television program and if that program had anything risque or off color, my parents and/or other adults present, would claim that they would boycott that particular shows sponsor because they shouldn't have aloud such trash on TV. Sooo......As the years past, corporations had to ever more carefully screen programming to meet middle Americas moral/ethical standards.

That is why we are at the point we are at today. Can anyone say "Politically Correct"?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by aarys

Corporations or Individuals buy the advertising, but it's the board operators and the ones who enter the programming logs, who have the real control over what comes out over the waves. Certain commercials get played more during extra spots, based on time restraints and favoritism.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Seems like there is way to many survival and reality shows as of late. To each their own. I think it is because of the low cost to produce shows such as these that makes it appealing to the networks. If one doesnt work out the just move on to the next.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

I agree with you 1000%. Im 22 yrs old and I hate the news!! Everything that they show on the "news" isnt NEWS at all!! Its all foolishness!! I used to laugh at the news but now I get ANGRY at the news. I'm like "WITH ALL THE # GOING ON IN THE WORLD AROUND US, THEY TALKING ABOUT WHAT BEYONCE' HAD ON AT THE GRAMMYS???? really?! thats what they call NEWS??" Na, truth is THEY DONT WANT US TO KNOW WHATS REALLY UP. CUZ DEN ALL HELL WILL BREAK LOOSE. [whew, sorry] As I digress and step off my soap box, i'll just end by saying "I agree with ya"

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'M MAD AS HELL!!! AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by aarys

myth busters was going to do a episode on the hack-ability of rfid tags(sometimes called blink or fast pass) embedded in new credit cards... Visa, Mastercard, and American express didnt like that, and discovery cancelled that episode
proof :-[)
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
well, yes, we could easily say that it is all handled depending on what course the want to the audience, but you know what, you can always have a satellite antenna on the roof of your place and watch as many different channels as you want, you don't necessary have to pay a fortune for it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join