It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corporations decide what Americans see on TV

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Just keep watching TV. You americans are getting brainwashed

rt.com

Several huge corporations own major networks and newspapers in the U.S. How much of the content do they control?
Everyone seems to know that the hand that feeds is the hand in charge.
“He who pays the piper gets to call the tune,” said Steve Rendall, a senior analyst at FAIR.
In the US, paying the piper and running the show are corporations. The tune they call, what Americans see, hear and read.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 29/1/11 by masqua because: Replaced title to the one for the article

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You have the old dinosaur media, now owned by five or maybe six mega conglomerates, and they are really teaming up with the government and getting secrete payments. “It’s not just these five or six mega corporations that have all these other corporate subsidiaries and they won’t report on things that put them in a bad light, you have direct government payments of tax payer money secretly being funneled to them.”

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Haven't watched TV in 7-8 years now. My family and friends all think I'm crazy.

I don't know what the popular shows are now and don't follow the canned news so I'm seen as backwards and out of touch.

I have less stress and know more about what's going on outside of the US but those aren't benefits according to some.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by aarys

Yeah its losing its grip, seems like mostly older people are the ones who still stick to their dinosaur media. The young people of today are starting to really know whats up. (for the most part anyways)

The only time most of us watch the mainstream media is to laugh at it. A couple decades ago, people didn't look at the "news' like that.
edit on 29-1-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
You can notice quite a difference between American and Canadian news, but I'm not sure ours is a whole lot better. You can still find a whole lot of important facts through alternative media than you'll find on television (minus perhaps a brief mention late at night.)

I haven't watched TV much for years either.
edit on 29-1-2011 by Neurolanis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Wow, glad to see someone bashing on Americans from a country who's biggest contribution to society in the last 20 years was being the shooting locations for the Lord of the Rings.

Yea, some Americans are fat and complacent. However, considering your country's continued institutional racism towards the native people (Maori) of your land and the inequalities that exist between your native people and whites in New Zealand, I think you have little room to talk.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This is hardly news, particularly the OP's own comments. But nice to see that people from other countries won't be making the same mistakes once they get this new-fangled invention

And by the way? The actual title of the news article is "Corporations decide what Americans see on TV, not " Just keep watching TV. You americans are getting brainwashed." The rules for Breaking Alternative News state that the title must appear exactly as it appears in the article. But you just wanted to zing Americans, didn't you? We understand.

edit on 1/29/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

I think you need to look into that a bit more. It was the British monarchy over 150 years ago that robbed the native people(Moari). And just look over the years how much our goverment has given back. Land, money and alot of respect.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
They are behind EVERY media source out there today......I haven't cut my t.v. on in many a month now....It's just me, my dog, my cats and the internet now......

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I quit watching TV quite a while back. Although I watch a movie now and then on my comp. Glad to see others have kicked it as well. Here's a little snippet from an old article about it. There's a lot more one can find on this though.

Experiments conducted by researcher Herbert Krugman reveal that when a person watches television, brain activity switches from the left to the right hemisphere. The left hemisphere is the seat of logical thought. Here, information is broken down into its component parts and critically analyzed. The right brain, however, treats incoming data uncritically, processing information in wholes, leading to emotional, rather than logical responses. The shift from left to right brain activity also causes the release of endorphins, the body's own natural opiates--thus, it is possible to become physically addicted to watching television, a hypothesis borne out by numerous studies which have shown that very few people are able to kick the television habit. It's no longer an overstatement to note that the youth today that are raised and taught through network television are intellectually dead by their early teens.

www.rense.com...

Rense may not be the best source, but he's not the only one saying this either.

edit on 29-1-2011 by Klassified because: Add, correction

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

You haven't missed a thing..Most tv these days will corrupt your and your family...Homosexuality, wife swapping, children and adult sex...and on and on it goes...your mind is a lot better off than most peeps if you haven't been on that tv......"Watch these set of breast now, you people" "DO NOT... look at what we have going on over here that is real"

edit on 29-1-2011 by Caji316 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I visit rense alot and listen to his show. Most of his news can be depressing, but the best part about his site is that he throws cool things in there to balance it out.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Your talking to the wrong crowd here, buddy--not that your own media in New Zealand is somehow exempt. People on ATS, I would wager, don't put much stock in the MSM. That's why they are here. On the other hand I'm not sur ethey would put much stock in foreign media either.l It;s not like Al Jazeera is a paragon of objectivity--nor is any news media in a commonwealth country.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I too don't watch TV and feel more in touch with what's REALLY going on than those who almost ceremoniously watch the 6 o'clock news.

The problem that I see coming is, because many of us are straying from the Sheeple line...we turn to the Internet for alternative and uncensored news. And that's why the government, in the name of terrorism will take over the net one day real soon.

You see, the western world uses 'terrorists' to control and fight while the eastern world uses 'religion'.

This whole planet needs a thorough cleansing and ....soon! Because we can not continue to go on this way too much longer.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I would say you are as nieve as you THINK us americans are. We are aware of the media and the fact our government decides what is aired and what is not aired. For msyelf my awareness came about 1 year after Iraq war started. Americans were becomming increasingly angry over that war. Suddenly the media stopped showing the Iraq war. We americans are not as dumb as you people THINK we are. Media is so yesterday in the knowing of who runs the media. I personally would say your people are behind our knowledge in the know...And I also do not watch television, I come to ats for the truth
edit on 29-1-2011 by prexparte because: spell check

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the reminder Schuyler. About Al-Jazeera that is. Let's talk about Rupert Murdoch for a moment.

Al Jazeera's English-language news channel is set to debut tomorrow (November 15, 2006). Per the article linked to above, it will be available on Sky TV (in Italy and Great Britain) which is owned by News Corp., the parent company of Fox News. Fox News regularly vilifies Al Jazeera, claiming it is in essence a terrorist organization, fomenting hatred toward the United States.

Rupert Murdoch 1

You have to ask yourself how Rupert Murdoch can both accept an award from a prominent Jewish organization and give a speech decrying growing anti-Semitism and Israel-hatred, and continue to do business and remain friends with one of the world’s top and most influential anti-Semites and Israel-haters.

Rupert Murdoch 2

Hypocrite much Rupert?

The second link is well worth a read. There's a lot more that can be found on this too, but I did this on the fly.

edit on 29-1-2011 by Klassified because: ETA and correction

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
People on ATS, I would wager, don't put much stock in the MSM. That's why they are here.

Exactly. Most people who've explored alternative media know or strongly suspect that the Corporate Dollar runs this country and the world. MSM has changed from real news to entertainment in a matter of years. It's TOTALLY useless now and most of us know that. I rarely watch any program touted to be "news" unless there's something going on in the world and I want to see their take on it. I read about Egypt here, but turned on the news to see what they were saying.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
For years I would watch no TV. At one time I was a C-SPAN junkie. Then I began to wach some History or Discovery channel stuff.

Nowadays I watch some broadcast TV. Breaking Bad is a very realistic and unsettling look at the "meth" world. About a chemistry teacher that decides to manufacture meth. This show would discourage anyone from wanting to enter that lifestyle. It shows the underbelly of that world in living color. Hair-raising, sphinctre-clenching adventure and totally realistic!

edit on 29-1-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

HAHA I guess you don`t realize what the Americans have done to the natives there . And what still goes on . Do you even know WTF are you talking about. Or you cranky because you felt O.P. said something negative about your countrymen?

Personally I try not to watch to much tv the commercials are just brutal and the media and journalism are constantly giving off their own personal spin. If I want to be informed on peoples personal opinion of news I will log into ATS. It is sad that I have to read 3 or 4 news sights just to piece together what is really going on sifting and weeding out personal views of stations or reporters.

The shows are crap that lack any originality, like they want to make me stupid and distract me from reality.The shows and ads aimed at children from 6 to 16 are just showing kids sad and what the underlying messages are to these impressionable kids.

Jim carry said it best in the movie the Cable Guy " I learned the facts of life from the facts of life "

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I watch several shows on TV, how does that translate to me being brainwashed?

I do not understand how one connects from point a to point b in this scenerio, ie, one watches tv (a) thus one is brainwashed (b).

Could you please elaborate on how I am brainwashed since I watch shows on TV?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join