It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Little Story About Gamefly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I just had an experience today and I could think of no better place to share this then here. I signed up for Gamefly yesterday and paid them 40.00 for the 4 games at a time plan. I happily went through last night picking out the games that I wanted to recieve. Well it occurred to me that I was going to be going to visit my grandmother down in Louisiana next month and I would be there for a couple of months. I am also going to look for a job as I am thinking of relocating back to Louisiana.

So I changed the delivery address to my grandmother's house so that the games would be delivered down there. Well this morning I checked my email, and found this.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in GameFly. We have identified that your household had a previous account under [email protected] that was cancelled on 12/19/2007 and had outstanding games, Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2008 and NCAA Football 08. We did make several attempts to contact you to identify whether you wished to keep the games or if you had placed them back in the mail. We did not receive a response from you and were forced to send your account to Stuart Allan Collections.

We have issued a refund to your card in the amount of $39.81. Please allow 3 to 5 business days for the credit to post to your account.

Unfortunately, due to the previous account history, you are not eligible to activate a GameFly membership. Please contact Stuart Allan Collections at 800-880-5400 to address the situation.

Sincerely,

Adam M.
The GameFly Team

So I tried to call them and they were closed. I then sent them back a response and attempted to reach them via the live chat they offer. I finally spoke to someone on live chat and was told that basically because I am related to someone that had a bad account I could not keep my account. They cancelled my account, and actually told me that if I wanted to pay off his debt that I could have my account back.

I proceeded by asking them a logical question. I said simply, "So what if I moved into a house where the previous tenant had had a bad account with you?" The response was, "You would have to provide us with proof that you lived there such as a lease or a rental agreement." So then I asked them how they could hold me accountable for something I didn't even do and they qouted the TOS line about being able to terminate service for any reason without explanation. I said well that is a hell of a way to do business great practice there. I then reviewed there TOS and found no mention of this anywhere. I spoke to them again and they continually referred back to the line about cancelling at any time without reason.

There TOS can be found here if you would like to read it for yourself.

www.gamefly.com...

My understanding of what happened with my cousin is that back in Hurricane Katrina he lost the games along with a lot of the house. Once they were able to return home he spoke to Gamefly and they basically told him there was nothing they could do he would have to buy the games. He didn't buy them and now apparently they will not let anyone associated with the account have an account.

I am astounded and bewildered at the BS that I am getting fed from them and they even called me on my personal phone to tell me the same crap. I said you obviously didn't read the email as for one I asked that it be read by someone other then a service rep and secondly I told you they were my family, because when he called he told me I could provide my signed lease agreement. I said how about a valid ID to show I am not the same person. He said that doesn't matter you would have to clear up the previous account. I said even hospitals can't make family members pay for someone else's bill I don't see how you can justify even implying it.

Anyway thought you all might want to hear about my issues with them.
edit on 1/29/2011 by Phantom28804 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Thats horrible, I've never used game fly but I've had a bad experience with block buster after Hurricane Rita. I had returned the game a few days before Rita hit and ended up relocating to the PNW afterwards. I found out when I went to rent a movie at the local blockbuster that I owed $40.00 for the game because it wasn't returned, it's not my fault they're store got destroyed and had lazy employees.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It all comes down to what service you decide to pay for.
I mean if they're lousy don't sign up for them.
Foods bad don't eat there
Horrible ToS don't shop there

Think of it this way
ay for all that bs money so that you don't have to deal with them again

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

Right here, it says they can terminate for any reason....

Right to Terminate

We reserve the right to terminate or restrict your subscription, or the use of our Service, without notice, for any or no reason.

Still, I can't see how they can hold YOU liable (same address or not) for another PERSON's account. Everything in the agreement is stated as being between Gamefly and the subscriber, NOT THE HOUSEHOLD OF THE SUBSCRIBER.... I'd think you actually have a legal case to stand on here, but of course, it would cost you more than you'd like to invest, I'm sure.

edit on 4-2-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yea the guy I spoke to kept repeating that over and over. I basically told him that clause was in every TOS for any service, company etc, but most people do not use that except in serious cases. I highly doubt my cousins 100.00 debt to them over two games that were lost is that serious of a condition. The funniest part to me is that if you write them a note telling them that a game had been lost in the mail they will simply write it off and keep your account in good standing, but apparently when you are displaced so long by a hurricane that your account goes into collections they no longer care what your reasons are.

I spoke to the manager the other day in response to my BBB complaint. SHe basically said that I could have the account as long as games were delivered to my current address but not if they were delivered to the other address. I then spoke to her about hsi account and her response was well if he wants to go out and buy the games and send them back I will re-instate the account. So it is literally about the game. Not one concession was given for the "hey my cousin's house got halfway destroyed by one of the biggest hurricanes to hit the US in the last decade. Sorry the games were apparently washed away in the storm, taken by looters, or blown away in the wind. But since you weren't thinking about the games for the last 6 months that you were unable to go home, and of course we all know the games should have been the first thing on your mind during this time.You can't have an account anymore and we won't just write this off."

To me it's retarded but ya know I found out there are other companies out there like Gamefly so oh well for them I will just take my business elsewhere =0)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I have been a memeber of GameFly for almost a year now. At first every thing was fine. I even took my account from a 1 game rental to 2 after trying the service for a month so my son could choose a game as well. The past few months however have been driving me nuts. The last 3 or 4 times I've returned games they have been dragging their feet when it comes to shipping out the next ones in my list no matter if they have a high availability or not. Not until I send them an email inquiry to see what the hold up is do I get an email or text stating my game(s) have shipped and usually a few hours after submitting the inquiry. Currently I find myself waiting for them to get off of their dead asses again. I put 2 games in the mailbox on Friday August 19th.(I live in a "well-off" neighborhood, 99.999% percent sure no one stole them) I know for a fact that shipping time from my mailbox to their headquarters or vice versa is exactly 2 days meaning they should have received the games on Monday. Today is Thursday August 25th and they still have the status as if I have those games at home still. I am getting fed up with their BS! Everyday after I get home from picking my 7 yr old up from school he's so excited to check the mailbox but only gets my bills! Anyone know of another company out there that provides the same services as GameFly?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

What other companies are there?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Blockbuster allows you to rent games they mail like Netflix. So yeah, problem solved!

www.blockbuster.com...
edit on 13-9-2011 by Xaberz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join