It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt goes into chaos. museums and hospitals being looted

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I understand your anger, but I think you are jumping the gun here. The links provided show a couple pics of destroyed "somethings" but also state that the "looting was minimal" and most if not all of the artifacts were returned. Awarness is good, fear mongering is detrimental to the cause.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

star and flag for you! I never quite understood why rioters take their rage out on their ancestors life blood?

Anarchy is a terrible thing, and as much as I preach for freedom, anarchy is not right, only because theres so many rotten eggs who would take advantage of the system. Just remember, no matter how many corrupt and powerful people there are, theres always more corrupltable powerless people who will grab at anything they can get as well.

what ever happen to the sane, rational, and calm people?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
ok first off topic, i used google search and found this thread it was more efficient than the native search. perhaps as a second checking tool for us all, it's a great idea for whoever suggested it.

on topic, i was waiting for this news.
i want to know, was the museum looted before or after the "rich flee Egypt" event.

where is hawass? is that his name?
the way he protects the theories of this place, you would think he would be Indiana Jonesing it up protecting his valuables. is he one of the rich who fled Egypt?

its amazing the locals managed to band together and protect it, and more amazing the army is now protecting the location.
heres hoping the army police until a new government is established. the way an army should.
unlike Iraq, the locals were able to save some of their heritage.

*edit to add*
i just read further that hawass is still there.
i am so impressed at the locals protecting this.

edit on 30-1-2011 by okamitengu because: learned more about the situation.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
In my opinion, this is why violent type of protests don't work.

Their cause will now be overshadowed by the looting of artifacts, even if people agreed with their cause they will still excuse the military from stepping in to stop this.

And some might say that the people doing the looting are the "real" protestors, but it doesn't matter. When you start a violent protest like this, you are making it easy for looters and/or infiltrators to sneak in.

It's still the protestors fault for creating a violent atmosphere instead of a well organized and peaceful protest.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

that's weird

most would say that non-violent protests don't work either.

what other options are there?
waiting on the 2nd coming ???

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wallachian
The German media speculates that prisoners were released from jail (by the police) and they're the ones responsible for the looting.

Sounds like a scapegoat set-up to me.
Of course they need someone to blame it on and this action of forethought seals the deal to me.
Also it's another well-used ploy to turn the people against one another in order to cloud who is really responsible for this situation.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu

on topic, i was waiting for this news.
i want to know, was the museum looted before or after the "rich flee Egypt" event.

Well, this "looting" would certainly be the perfect cover-up, wouldn't it?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I would be almost 100% certain that the Egyptian people are not behind the museum looting. There's a huge sense of pride in Egypt towards the past. Modern Egyptians see themselves as the continuation of nearly nine thousand years' worth of civilization on their river, and source of the central pillar of civilization itself. Smashing antiquities is the sort of thing that can get a lynch mob going.

And you know Zahi Hawass would be bringing the rope.

I'm putting my money on police seeking to discredit the protests, with a distant second being Islamists trying to score a Taliban-style purge of "paganism."

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
It's now official, thousands of prisoners escaped from Cairo jails. They could be the looters. Were they helped to escape, and by whom?

An archaeologist said that the protesters tried to protect the museum from the looters, by forming a human chain.

Seems to me that the forces still loyal to the regime are trying hard to discredit the protesters, by making them look like vandals. Classical tactic.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

Sad fact is, "peaceful" protests do not work. It's the "or you'll what? principle. A foe who is more powerful than you and knows you will not take the violence is a foe who will ignore you.

The only time a peaceful protest works, is when the alternative - violence - is acknowledged and visible. Throw a few riots, then talk peaceful resolution. Send a leader who is committed to peaceful measures, and make sure that a few hundred thousand very angry people are all standing behind him, waiting for "plan B."

This is why here in America, the Civil Rights movement succeeded while its twin, the anti-war movement failed. The people marching for civil rights had already gotten some blood on their hands. They were angry and everyone knew it; the nation was presented with two options. Either listen to King, and men like him talking peaceful liberation... Or watch Los Angeles burn. And New York. And Chicago. And Atlanta. Meanwhile, the men and women protesting the war had no such alternative. If they didn't get what they wanted, they were just going to chant slogans louder. So they were ignored, and the war ground on until the North Vietnamese completed their victory.

The people of Egypt are acting entirely appropriately for the situation.

Violence is never the answer, but it's often a very adequate solution to many problems.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
There are reports of military jets buzzing the city at the moment

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wallachian
It's now official, thousands of prisoners escaped from Cairo jails. They could be the looters. Were they helped to escape, and by whom?

How reasonable is it that a man who has been in prison for six years, when given the chance to escape, would head directly to the museum? If anyone believes that story....

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

I know that after I have spent years rotting in an Islamic prison, the first place I would head to after being released would be the museum.

Then a quick bite to eat and off to bed.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by MindSpin

that's weird

most would say that non-violent protests don't work either.

what other options are there?
waiting on the 2nd coming ???

Well there is the Civil Rights movement, the Feminist movement...and dare I say, even though I don't agree with their ideas, the Tea Party?

There are other options, I don't think violence is the best choice. Violence only accomplishes one thing, it destablizes the area, who knows who will take power after the violence stops. Most likely things will get worse rather than better.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I think you would have a hard time trying to convince people that the Civil Rights movement was backed by the "threat" of violence.

Good luck on that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join