It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt goes into chaos. museums and hospitals being looted

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Wow. I am reminded when Iraq fell and all of their museums were heavily looted and damaged. Bombs did their share and the looters came in and cleaned out entire rooms. Alot of their artifacts were lost and are still trying to be recovered... History perhaps forever lost or smelted down.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

THOSE SICKOS!!! Not Egyptian artifacts. I mean this is getting serious now. I'm sorry this just struck a nerve.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I don't blame the people - oh the looters and the thugs, yeah, but what about that power loving douche that would sacrifice everything to stay in power?

I like to think I'd have been like "You don't want me, fine, where's the door?"

Oh, what I came to post...there's been some unconfirmed reports of gunfire in his residence and 12 shot at the dept. of the interior.
edit on 29-1-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
These artifacts and museum pieces were originally "looted" by the people who took them from tombs. They are just changing hands again,and in the bigger picture none of this really matters.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

There are many reports on twitter that its the police doing all of this looting to keep people in their homes and in fear. Not to mention to discredit the protesters.

I mean their police force has a couple hundred thousand people I believe, and they just disappeared? what?

I would not doubt that, but these people need money, for food.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The German media speculates that prisoners were released from jail (by the police) and they're the ones responsible for the looting.

Either way, this is wrong. Humanity could lose so much... Even if artefacts are stolen and not destroyed, they're just going to end up in private collections never to be seen again.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Its bad that antiquities change hands illegally but the sad part about this is that they are also being destroyed. They will never make their way to a museum again, no matter what road it took to get them there. They were in a good location to be viewed by the public and preserved, sadly that is not true of the items being damaged and destroyed. After they get finished looting the cities, on to the pyramids - this has to be stopped before more people are injured and killed, more relics destroyed.

Sorry for ranting but my next rant is why would any parent put their child in harms way as some are doing. You may be able to reform your govt at some point and time but you can never get your children back if they are killed.

On that note I will say I do want reform for the Egyptian people, good for those that know how to protest to get their word across in the right way. There are always and will always be bad apples in the barrel and they have definitely decided to show their ugly heads.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

Since the police disappeared that is a good point, they may be doing some of the looting, along with any prisoners that have been released.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The taking of booty is a long-held tradition of Jihad. Those items that cannot be sold will be destroyed akin to the giant statues of Buddha that fell victim to Jihad a few years ago.

The Sphinx could be in danger.

Or a bold, new age of freedom and enlightenment is just around the corner.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I meant to ask if anyone has seen reports on what they are doing at the hospitals? Are the injured able to go there for treatment, are they looting (drugs forbid), injuring staff, etc.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
It is sad to see a legitimate political protest sink to such chaos: destruction of property, looting, etc.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The museum was looted once, the people involved were arrested and they are going to be severely punished.

The egyptian army but more to the point the egyptian people (the ones who are protesting) will not let this continue to happen

Reports are starting to surface of citizens arming themselves to protect valuable infrastructure from looters

The SCA in Egypt have said that everything is now being heavily protected.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Oh man! This is so disheartening! I believe in the right to demonstrate and protest but to loot museums and hospitals is just terribly wrong. Some real force needs to be implemented now. For someone to destroy irreplaceable antiquities is just plain unforgivable.

For a region where cilviliztion spans almost 6000 years, the inhabitants are showing the world how civilized they really are.

So sad for all of humanity.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I meant to ask if anyone has seen reports on what they are doing at the hospitals? Are the injured able to go there for treatment, are they looting (drugs forbid), injuring staff, etc.

This in Alexandria, from the same link I posted further up :

In Alexandria, the scene at hospitals was chaotic, CNN's Nic Robertson said in a message on Twitter. The facilities were short-staffed and injured protesters said they were not being treated quickly enough.

Mubarak needs to go, and quickly.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Sad that the hospitals are involved and people not being taken care of.

Murabek does need to go and quickly!
edit on 29-1-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Funny! but I heard earlier today on Al-J that they said nothing was actually stolen at the museum!

I'm going to see if I can find any wriiten source on that?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Funny, it's been in every related release to date.. but yes, nothing stolen.. just irrecoverably damaged.. so glad that's the only problem. [/sarcasm]

6:43pm Some of the rarest antiquities in the world are found damaged by looters at famed Cairo musuem.

Taken from the Aljazeera Live Feed.

Even Zahi Hawass head of SCA even admitted to it

CAIRO (AP) — Would-be looters broke into Cairo's famed Egyptian Museum, ripping the heads off two mummies and damaging about 10 small artifacts before being caught and detained by soldiers, Egypt's antiquities chief said Saturday.
Zahi Hawass said the vandals did not manage to steal any of the museum's antiquities, and that the prized collection was now safe and under military guard.

Taken from www.google.com...

An Associated Press Television News crew that was allowed into the museum saw two vandalized mummies and at least 10 small artifacts that had been taken out of their glass cases and damaged.
edit on 29-1-2011 by plexus because: additional information added

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by plexus

Thanks for info!

Whatta sick bunch of idiotic vandal thugs, destroying their own country's AND world cultural treasures just for fun! :shk:

It's just so damn sad!

Maybe someone from the secret police paid the criminal thugs to make havok at the museum?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

These artifacts -are- far more important than the people..

If you said that in front of my face, I would say "go **** your self".

Sorry for the viral language, but seriously, only a murderous thief or the devil would say a human life is less important than a piece of artifact.

If you think human life is less important than these artifact, then go and burn yourself in protest, like the Egyptian, Tunisian and Saudi man. Those men sacrificed their lives to end oppression and aggression against human beings, I want to see you sacrifice your life for these artifacts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join