It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moscow Bomber Identified, Authorities Say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Moscow Bomber Identified, Authorities Say

www.nytimes.com

MOSCOW — Russian authorities on Saturday announced that they had identified a 20-year-old native of the North Caucasus region as the suicide bomber who killed 35 people at Domodedovo Airport’s international arrivals hall — a location chosen specifically because it gave the opportunity to kill foreigners.

They did not announce the man’s name, saying that the authorities were seeking to detain “organizers and accomplices” who were involved in the attack.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The details released were next to nothing, only the age and the alleged region the bomber came from. Later in the article it seems clear that the intent is to tie this to Islamists.

One Russian affairs expert from the US says...

Among the factors driving the Caucasus militants to stage dramatic attacks is a generational shift, as veterans of the secular Chechen separatist movement are replaced by younger men who are adherents of fundamentalist Islam

On the last UK & EUROPE an online sister radio program to the ATS Live show, it was discussed that this could possibly be the first non muslim suicide bomber since the advent of the War on Terror, I guess we will have to keep an eye out to see how this event is spun.

Could the current powderkeg that is the Middle East, provide the cover needed for Russia's implied retaliation for this bombing?

www.nytimes.com

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:02:36 -0600 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
As i have said in an earlier thread related to this incident, physical borders are going to be changed and changed with the blessing of NATO. As everyone was aware and were waiting for it to happen.

Since we now have the excuse, why stop...right ?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I do find this whole thing as intriguing, it almost feels like Russia has been groomed for the "war on terror"

Tho I could be wrong, it does feel strange that the target was foreigners, as I really don't think that would forward the cause of anyone in the caucuses.

I guess I only worry as it is running parallel to the ME seemingly going up in flames at the moment..

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Could the current powderkeg that is the Middle East, provide the cover needed for Russia's implied retaliation for this bombing?

Medvedev or Putin,would not require Maskerovka (diversionary tactics) to effect a retaliation,this will be viewed as an internal Russian security matter.
If as stated,the perpetrators were Chechen,or any other North Caucasian "breakaway" group,I don't think that Russia would hesitate to hit them hard,regardless of any condemnation by the outside world,Russia will view this latest attrocity as a means to finishing off opposition to Russian rule by the Chechens,Ingush or North Ossetians once and for all.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
He was a Recent convert to Islam,some of the info of him i believe has been leaked.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I know everyone has been screaming ‘false-flag’ on everything lately, but I think Russia is just itching to use some of its military might to extend their real estate down the Caspian and Black Seas. If Russia could start a War on Terror and place the blame on terrorist sympathizers in Georgia and Azerbaijan, just like the U.S. did with Afghanistan and Iraq, they could extent their borders all the way to Turkey and Iran. That would be a great chest move for Russia against the U.S. to connect itself by land to Iran.

eek~!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Here's a related piece that is a more in depth analysis of the situation... one that also touches on the minute possibility that the bomber could have been other than Muslim.

Domodedovo suicide bombing focuses attention on Caucasus Islamists

...In April 2009 Umarov announced the revival of the Riyadus Salikhin Martyrs Brigade and promised attacks inside Russia, and since then a suicide bombing campaign has proceeded with 16 in 2009, 14 in 2010, and now one this year.
It cannot be excluded that Russian neo-fascists or a more obscure group could be behind the attack given the availability of bomb-building instructions on the Internet, not least of all on CE websites, but this is unlikely. Only Islamists have shown the capacity and willingness to engage in attacks of random terrorism such as this one. IIPER will update information on this attack in the next issue...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I was reading about this just the other day!
The Checen resistance movement seems to have adopted Islamist policies, although it seems to me that they did it just to attract more supporters. Check it out!

Russia is letting NATO use its bases in order to fight the Afghan mission. They are also taking greater action to combat the Afghan poppy industry that's poisoning Russia. Maybe this presents Russia's big opportunity to join the War on Terror or Islam or whatever this has been about.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

It could. And that powderkeg is already spreading beyond the Middle East (Albania...here so why not a little further?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Ok, before I dig it

I have a question. The op said that it was discussed that this could be the first act of terrorism, since war on terrorism started, that may have been perpetrated by a non Muslim (I missed ats live
)

Is terrorism now solely defined as an act by a Muslim or Muslim extremist? What about Andrew Joseph Stack that flew his plane into the IRS building?

What about this www.fbi.gov... . Granted it is a bit dated, subject period 2002-2005, but that is post declaration of war on terror. This article cites the majority of terrorism with the US (that's there jurisdiction this is the fbi) is NOT by Muslims.

I just wanted to throw this report out there because I am growing increasingly annoyed that even here on ATS Muslim is synonymous with terrorist. If all 1.6 billion Muslims were terrorists we would be truly in a world of manure. Our manure pile thought is very diverse and Muslim terrorists only make up about 6% of internal terrorism.

new topics

top topics

join