It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weekend of protests across the UK

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
It's a disgrace and it's not helped by the matter of many students voting Liberal Democrats into power mainly because they wanted to get rid of tuition fees. Nick Clegg lied of his arse to get into power and people are just betrayed by it all.

£9000x3 = £27000 + £3000+x3 (Maintence Loan) = £36000 ($57000) for going to University, on top of that the extortionate rent university's charge. It's simply not worth the money to go university anymore, I have just finished my degree and now owe £20k and struggling to pay it back whilst the intrest on the debt is adding to more money being paid. The intrest at £36-40k would be astronomical it would be like paying a mortgage, the universitys are not privatly funded like they are in the US so there is no excuse for it to be as high as it is. For christ sake Scottish don't even have to pay tuition and this is suppose to be the UK? University's are simply not giving students the value for money they should be, 6 hours a week at a top university for someone reading of a slideshow and giving you a assignment for the semester? Oh and if these uni's are finding funding so hard why are they paying the people running them double the Prime Ministers wage. It's ok we have plenty of money for War and the Trident program.... it makes me sick!

I am having to pay alot of money and I am earning just over £15k (the limit when you have to start repayments), let alone having to pay Poll Tax and my own mortgage. I may aswell go on the doll and get a council house, I would be better of than I am at the moment.
edit on 30-1-2011 by estar because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2011 by estar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Yeap me too, and when will people realise everybody IS paying for there own education, through taxation. All I see here is ego trips, and outright ignorance. In Britain, we fought previously to ensure our money (tax's) are spent where we believe they are most warranted, with education being one of the foundations that brought the kingdom toward prominence for a great length of time and eventually to recent unparalleled size.

I can't help but find it a sad state of affairs when so money have been pulled in by fear scaremongering, hate spreading, tit for tat misinformation found so readily throughout the web to an extent that they sit behind an anonymous name and slate systems which have for so long been of great benefit to countless generations.

I'd go as far to argue amongst some, that a lot of people here are prime examples of the problems we face in this day and age. Not the issues many of this sites followers have fallen for hook line and sinker. But, here's not the place for that. So I'll give into the idiocy and move on.

A large stock of this generation are truly special. Or, have they always been around but just given the power of communication too much?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

But it isn't! It is no more expensive, at the point of use, now or in the future to go to Uni than it has been since 2005 when tution fees came in. Granted, those who graduate and get a decent paid job will have to pay back the loan (at a really low interest rate and over a stupidly long time) but how exactly is going to Uni now a reserve for the rich?

I have asked this several times in this thread and no-one has responded. Why are "poor" students all of a sudden not going to go to Uni? What has changed? Unless of course we're expected to now feed, house and clothe thme while they study, which is absurd.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by estar

How on earth can you be "struggling" to repay your student loan/tuition fees?

It is a pittance! For example, if you earned £1500 a month you would only pay £22 a month back on a Student loan. You're honestly expecting me to believe you cannot afford that?

The interest rate on a student loan is currently 1.5%. Again, a tiny amount. Me thinks you're being dramatic to try to prove a point and hoping no one would notice.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Sed Non Credo

An excellent post.

At least some people here get it.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by estar

How on earth can you be "struggling" to repay your student loan/tuition fees?

It is a pittance! For example, if you earned £1500 a month you would only pay £22 a month back on a Student loan. You're honestly expecting me to believe you cannot afford that?

The interest rate on a student loan is currently 1.5%. Again, a tiny amount. Me thinks you're being dramatic to try to prove a point and hoping no one would notice.

Well said. The fact is many other groups have a much more legitimate case for grievance. The fact is the majority of working class - are losing patience with students. But bring it on - your demo will be made into a farce by yobs with nothing better to do than go on the rampage. And then public sympathy will be zero. And rightly too.
edit on 31-1-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Catch_a_Fire

After having a browse through this thread again I can see that you are dis-satisfied with the current system .. correct ?
Your support of statements, like LauraUk leads me to that conclusion... You would also appear to be not biased in any political direction..... correct ?

If I am right so far.. what do you suggest as a Solution ?

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Hi PD.

I really wouldnt know what that solution would be, as the old saying goes you cant keep everybody happy. I myself am not in a position where the current situation effects me directly, but i do feel for those who are currently getting stuffed by the recent changes.

There are some people here who seem to not give a toss about that and they come across very selfish and full of themselves. They seem to misunderstand the fact that not everyone is lucky enough to be able to gain the opportunities some here have. Its easy to say go and get a job and pay for your own education etc. but its just not that plain and simple nowadays.

I can speak from experience as, like i have already said, i have lived at both end of the scale, so maybe this is why i have a better understanding and a little compassion for those who are going to struggle.
edit on 31/1/2011 by Catch_a_Fire because: typo

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Catch_a_fire

I think you are RIGHT...... to solve a problem you have to know the problem and having a grasp of both ends of the scale gives you a better perspective of the situation......
Like you, I'm not sure what to suggest BUT the present 'system' means that there will always be 'winners' and 'losers' and my fear of the educational system over the past 15 years is that student, young people etc have been brought up not to see that !!
What we are seeing now is an 'attitude' in people whom are not used to losing ! It is a monster of our own stupid liberal creation and does present a problem because IMHO the current Coalition has a serious problem in communication to the public !!!

Unless they address this then there is no hope of the population (simple and otherwise) ''GETTING IT''

Regards
PDUK

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
If you want cheaper education, demand taxes to be raised. If paying more taxes gives you pause, then don't make other people subsidize your wants. Money has to come from somewhere. There is no such thing as a free lunch. It's that simple.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by felonius

Do you have any understanding of the achievements of the Trade Union movement and where the working man would be without it?

And how convenient and predictable to blame all the world's ill's on Johnny Foreigner.

I have genuine concerns about the UK's immigration policies but I suspect they might be quite different to yours.

That has got to be the most diplomatic reply I have ever heard!

You never even mentioned "Goose Stepping", "Knuckle Dragging" or "Retarded Nazi Scumbag"!

I take my hat off to you Sir, you are a true gentleman!

I, on the other hand, am not quite so eloquent.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

At present many students finish their studies with a reasonably large debt.
Burden them with another £30k debt then many students from poorer backgrounds will choose not to go to University.
And those from more affluent backgrounds will remain unaffected safe in the knowledge that their priveliged status will remain unthreatened, in fact their influence and control will continue to grow.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by estar
It's a disgrace and it's not helped by the matter of many students voting Liberal Democrats into power mainly because they wanted to get rid of tuition fees. Nick Clegg lied of his arse to get into power and people are just betrayed by it all.

It's nothing more than I expected of The Tories.
The LibDems tried to portray themselves as the true party of the people and one of their main electoral promises was indeed the abolition of tuition fees.
To then do a complete about turn and not only fail to abolish them but actually increase fee's by approximately 300% shows total contempt for those that voted for them and proof if ever we needed it of the complete amorality of our politicians.

......I may aswell go on the doll and get a council house, I would be better of than I am at the moment.

Unfortunatly there aren't that many council houses about anymore and hey are very hard to come by nowadays as everyone fell for Thatcher's biggest blag of all, something we are very much so still paying the price for now!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Then that is down to perception and poor understanding of what is actually expected of them once they complete their studies.

As it stands, the student debt is to be paid back only when you exceed £21k per annum, which is (before tax) £1750.

So only earnings above the £1750 a month will be garnished at a rate of 9%, so if you earnt £2000 a month (a modest £24k an annum which any graduate can expect if they have a worthwhile degree) you would only pay back £22.50 a month and only accrue interest of 1.5% on the balance, well below market rates. Also, after a certain period (the exact time escapes me) the balance will be forgiven anyway.

As you can see, there is a big difference between the myth and the reality. If one wishes to go to Uni, no matter your background, you can afford it.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Freeborn

Just ONE example from today of your beloved Labour party and it's Financial 'common sense' ???

www.bbc.co.uk...

Get over the political statements mate....... your little comments here and there against the Conservatives let you down...

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by multichild

Nothing to Worry about Multichild

I couldnt care less What TPTB think, At the end of the day im just helping Out, Im not a contracted Officer

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by stumason

At present many students finish their studies with a reasonably large debt.
Burden them with another £30k debt then many students from poorer backgrounds will choose not to go to University.
And those from more affluent backgrounds will remain unaffected safe in the knowledge that their priveliged status will remain unthreatened, in fact their influence and control will continue to grow.

I quite agree. Poorer families will be more reluctant to let their son's and daughter's establish three times as much debt as they once were.

Whereas the comfortable middle class, will be less worried.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

The comfortable middle class who are 'suddenly' realising that they will be paying more tax in April 2011, will be losing any child benefits ( i'm not familiar with all the available benefits on offer currently) and are generally feeling the squeeze ??!!??

Mr Lizard, in your slippery snake skin suit............Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics............StuMason makes a VALID point when you Digest the Facts and don't go for the Headlines..
PDUK

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

Get over the political statements mate....... your little comments here and there against the Conservatives let you down...

Regards

Hey, he's allowed an opinion. I for one think the Tories actions are still having knock on effects today. But obviously you can't see it, so no point arguing.

FYI I've lost my faith in Labour and the Libs too, but either one of them two are the lesser of three evils.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Actions ?? Are you still hankering from the 80's or are you refering to more recent events ?

PDUK

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join