It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Reportedly Down in Syria

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
"It started as rioting. But right from the beginning you knew this was different. Then it wasn't on the TV anymore. It was coming through your windows...."

- Selena, 28 days Later

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I didn't use a news link. I don't need to. I used the internet.

If you want a news link, you can use this:

Official Source Denies Reports on Cutting off Internet Connections in Syria, Internet is Available across the Country

Now, one can say, oh, thats just Syria saying that. I dont trust them.

Ok then, look at the web address. Its .sy. Thats Syria's web domain.
If their internet was down, you would not get to that site.

You dont have to take my post or a news post word at face value though. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry can go to IANA to see if .sy is Syria's web domain.

Then you can search for any .sy infomation portal, and look thru the subdomains of all the gov.sy, news.sy, edu.sy, net.sy, etc.

If you can access websites listed in those subdomains, their internet is up.

You could also use a newspaper outlet that lists all Syria's online news. Any of them that have a .sy that works is also confirmation that their internet is up.

You could go a step farther and do a Geo-Locate on those websites to veryify they are in Syria if you like.
edit on 1/29/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by SaturnFX

With food prices increasing, especially rice and wheat.....you can bet on it a demonstration will start there, it's not a matter of if but when.

Right, but the difference is simple.
in egypt, or even tunisia, there can be lots of discussions and organized marches.

try that snip in Syria and its pretty simple
black out the area
kill some people
imprison some people
threaten the rest by grand examples right in front of them.
Nothing gets a person reasonable to governmental desires like a chaingun trained on you and your family..suddenly, things don't seem so bad.

Iron fist...westerners have no concept of what its like to fight against that..ideals mean jack when your little daughter sarah may end up dying from your desire to yell in the street. Not like theoretically, but literally...bullet in the head with no questions asked.

Revolutionarys in such places are either deeply hidden, or dead by public execution. Syria, North Korea, etc...some nasty places in the world.

/has been around the mid-east
//have some syrian friends whom spoke of conditions
///naturally bigoted at middle eastern politics

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Etherguide

Originally posted by MMPI2
I actually find it amazing that people like arabs or countries controlled by muslims are technologically capable of developing and maintaining the internet.

but then I remember, they outsource most all of their advanced work to european nations. without westerners, these are people that would not have running water.

I find your comment extremely ignorant and offensive, but VERY funny, because water supply systems were actually engineered by arab inventor Al-Jazari in 13th century and later adopted in europe.

if you were right, i would agree with you. clearly, though, you are absolutely wrong.

the greeks were using indoor plumbing before anybody in the "arab world".

furthermore:

During the Neolithic, man dug the first permanent water wells, from where vessels could be filled and carried by hand. The size of human settlements was largely dependent on nearly available water. Pit toilets and potties were the only alternative to defecation in the open, until flush toilets appeared.

additionally, the romans' devised sophisticated indoor water systems - aqueducts and pipes that went into and out of peoples' homes. Many components of these systems, many engineered and installed between 3000 and 2000 bc, are still standing in Italy.

the arab "system" was likely stolen from the greeks and romans. today, they lay crumbling under the dust of the ages.
---------------------------------------

I'm sorry to have to embarrass you like this, but your attempt to defend a corrupt and morally bereft arab/islamic culture is doomed to fail. It is impossible to defend something as inherently evil and vapid as the "arab world."

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

I've just checked some well known Syrian news sites and NO reports of Egyptian demonstrations......NONE.

Would be good if others can check too.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

That doesn't mean their internet is down.

It means their internet is censored.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Look what I just found......

newsfromsyria.com...

LOL

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
front pageAboutHistoryMust SeeArchivesRSS ← Remembering 1400 innocent victims Happy New Year →
London demonstration against Egypt
December 30th, 2009 · 3 Comments · Politics
There will be a demonstration in London on New Year’s Eve against the Egyptian government.

The Mubarak regime is supporting the apartheid government of Israel by blocking the Viva Palestina convoy, and enforcing the Israeli siege of Gaza. Egypt is acting as Israel’s policeman, as it has done for the past year and a half.

They are also building an Israeli-style apartheid wall to surgically seal-off Gaza from the rest of the world, in breach of UN resolutions.

There will be demonstration outside the Egyptian Embassy from 1pm-3pm, 26 South Street, London W1K 1DW. The nearest tube stations are Green Park and Hyde Park Corner.

source: newsfromsyria.com...

edit on 29-1-2011 by bluemirage5 because: none

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Syria follows Egypt in blocking the Internet, report
Arab Herald
Saturday 29th January, 2011
(Source: Ya Libnan)

According to Arabic-language website Al Arabiya, the country has suspended all of its Internet services.

Earlier this week, Reuters reported that Syria had imposed bans on two programs that allow access to Facebook, which had previously been banned in 2007.

The country has a history of restricting media coverage of poverty and corruption, but it?s not clear that it has gone as far as disrupting Internet service altogether.

Shorty after Al Arabiya reported that the Internet was down in Syria, a government representative denied the claim.

Many who said they were tweeting from Syria also commented that they weren?t having any problems accessing the Internet.

Reports from Egypt, on the other hand, confirm that the government blocked Twitter and then Internet access altogether in response to... ...

Read the full story at Ya Libnan

source: story.arabherald.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Seems like a lot of dictators are crapping pink twinkies. Shows just how much we have to fight anything that limits our internet access.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
re shutting down internet [why it won't work], Egypt, and "they are just like us
'

Saturday, 29 January 2011
EGYPT: Looting as Counter-Insurgency
There have been a growing number of reports of looters/thugs conducting smash and grabs across Cairo. Interestingly, there's also a growing number of reports that when these thugs are caught, they have police/interior ministry identification on them. If this is so, the reasons for it are: 1. It tars the insurgency as a group of criminals and thugs. 2. It provides a reason for a reluctant army to get involved and enact a curfew. 3. It forces a percentage of the movement to stay at home (to guard the neighborhood). This above has the potential to set the stage for a harsh response domestically. It could also help provide cover to the regime globally (hitting the Egyptian Museum was smart in this respect, given how many people around the world care much more for the artifacts there than the freedom of 80 m Egyptians). The question is: will it work? A decade ago, certainly. Today? No way. Too much backchannel.

Saturday, 29 January 2011
NEGATION IN EGYPT Open source insurgencies, revolts, etc. operate on very simple premise: They negate, block, stop, halt, reverse, etc. the status quo. A dictator. A policy. An occupation. Etc. They don't build. They don't construct. They don't transition. They don't rule. They don't make people in the establishment feel good/safe/etc. NOTE: it's important to note, as we saw with the people that defended Cairo's historic museum from looting/fire, they can protect. * The open source insurgency is based on a very simple goal (not an ideology or complex agenda). In Egypt's case: the removal a corrupt dictator. * Successful efforts (Tunisia's success and the first Facebook protest in Cairo) move this goal from a hope to a plausible promise -- something that can be achieved. * A plausible promise is something that everyone can get behind regardless of ideology, religion, agendas, etc. * The open source insurgency runs until the plausible promise is achieved. Mubarak's offer to dissolve the government wasn't enough. He needs to go. * Once Mubarak goes, the open source movement will evaporate -- after that, divergent motivations repeatedly fork the movement. Further, as we have seen in Egypt, the ability of the open source insurgency to withstand/shrug off counter-attacks grows as it moves closer to its goal. Even though hundreds have been killed in Egypt by the police (on 29 January, 2010), it hasn't shaken the movement at all. Online connectivity is an early enabler of open source insurgencies. Once they are formed, online connectivity is not a requirement for their continued operation over the short term. In Egypt's case, shutting down the Internet didn't work (it only made people more upset).

Friday, 28 January 2011
JOURNAL: Cell Phone Coordination of Open Source Protests Here's a cool little phone app called Sukey to help people navigate during a protest/riot. Very useful in avoiding kettling (a slang term for police crowd containment). Check out the tutorial. ***

Wednesday, 26 January 2011 JOURNAL: Example of Open Source Tactical Innovation Via Twitter: @ramboza: A message from a Tunisian to Egypt twitpic.com... and twitpic.com...

SOURCE:
Global Guerrillas

it is on.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Ok, now we have conflicting reports.
So stay tuned, this may be on again
and off again. who knows?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Understood. Wouldn't be the first time one person gave an order and then another rescinded it. Chaos.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Etherguide

I actually find it amazing that people like arabs or countries controlled by muslims are technologically capable of developing and maintaining the internet.

but then I remember, they outsource most all of their advanced work to european nations. without westerners, these are people that would not have running water.

I find your comment extremely ignorant and offensive, but VERY funny, because water supply systems were actually engineered by arab inventor Al-Jazari in 13th century and later adopted in europe.

if you were right, i would agree with you. clearly, though, you are absolutely wrong.

the greeks were using indoor plumbing before anybody in the "arab world".

furthermore:

During the Neolithic, man dug the first permanent water wells, from where vessels could be filled and carried by hand. The size of human settlements was largely dependent on nearly available water. Pit toilets and potties were the only alternative to defecation in the open, until flush toilets appeared.

additionally, the romans' devised sophisticated indoor water systems - aqueducts and pipes that went into and out of peoples' homes. Many components of these systems, many engineered and installed between 3000 and 2000 bc, are still standing in Italy.

the arab "system" was likely stolen from the greeks and romans. today, they lay crumbling under the dust of the ages.
---------------------------------------

I'm sorry to have to embarrass you like this, but your attempt to defend a corrupt and morally bereft arab/islamic culture is doomed to fail. It is impossible to defend something as inherently evil and vapid as the "arab world."

No, you wouldn't agree with me in any case, because your hate-artillery cannonade is too loud.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Which are you talking about Muslims or Arabs ? Not all Arabs are Muslim many are Christians, Jews, Baha'is, and Druze. Not all Muslims are Arab; actually most Muslims are Oriental, Indian, Persian, White and Indonesian Arabs make up a small percentage of Muslims.

Whom ever you are talking about when saying "without western these are people that would have running water" They had it way before most of the west and in fact most inventions are based on science or math they created centuries ago such as Algebra and lets not forget Mesopotamia & Sumer
edit on 29-1-2011 by jatsc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

boondocksaint,

the mentality in your post disturbs me. it's the "white man's burden" mentality.
there are plenty of arabs working in those companies that you are seemingly referencing.

-k8

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Reply to MMPI2

I'm truly sad that there are still people who possess such hatred based on almost zero knowledge towards one of the longest lasting empires in the history. (1291 Years!)

But before getting to that. let me comment on "It is impossible to defend something as inherently evil and vapid as the "arab world." So tell me who started and done the following in our "modern and civilized" history which resulted in massive massacres and huge death tolls:
1) Started World War I?
2) Started World War II?
3) Dropped a nuclear bomb on Heroshima and Nagazaki and brutally killed innocents?
4) Killed thousands of Native Indians in North America and South America?
5) Jewish Holocaust?
6) Killing of all short and weak people in order to "improve" the genes of next generations? (Hitler in case you are wondering)
7) Enslaved hundreds of thousands of africans and brought them by force to north america with reports of around 75% of them dying on the way because of diseases that spread on the ships?

Was it by any chance Arabs? Muslims?

And the list could go on and on... So bare in mind that "evil" can be found in everyone, every race, and every ethnicity. It's a matter of whether you let it control you or you control it.

As for Islam. check History of Jerusalem
This a link for the history of Jerusalem by wikipedia which i'm sure no one can argue that if it is biased it is surely not biased towards muslims.

Go to the Middle ages section and read what did the muslims do when they entered Jerusalem regarding the churches, christians, jews, and their right to live and to practice their religion. Actually jews were "let back to the city" after they were kicked out during the Byzantine rule.

If all Islam and Arabs are evil. Am sure they wouldn't have done that. If there are groups that call themselves "islamic freedom" or whatever name that may be, this doesn't mean they are representing Islam or whatever name they have for them in it's right and true form.

Kindest Regards,

edit on 29-1-2011 by hmorrar because: Didn't put who was it originally posted by

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Muslims are hardly stupid, buddy. We haven't had an enemy as tough and effective since Geronimo. They shoot 400 dollar RPG, we call in a million dollars worth of airstrike. Who wins in the end?
We need to make the Muslim world our ally, after they remove the terror bosses and Imams.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Have you effin been there? The blatant racism floors me sometimes. They have survived longer and are.older than the western world. Sophistication is relative. I bet most of the stuff in your house is synthetic and full of fermaldehydes but because you don't like Arabs suddenly you are superior because you have stuff. I bt you couldn't invent a freaking sandwich. Wtf? Where does some of this stuff come from? Bunch of freaking kids on here sometimes I believe. Gettin the history lessons from mom' s 5th boyfriend who is reverberating glenn Beck from the bar last night. Some of this makes no sense. No running water. They got it from the greens!? Where did you get writing from? Sumeria! Not London or Paris or Jerusalem for that matter. Where did you get clothing from? Or Shoes? Did you make them up. Get a life.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sirjunlegun

To respond, yes I have been there. I spent 38 months in that god-forsaken pit you people want to call the "cradle of civilization." I have to be honest...I'm not sure what "fermaldehyde" is, though.

Facts are facts. It isn't my fault if the majority of the anger and strife in the world is caused by the savages that live over there in the desert. They are, to a man, rapists, thieves and murderers.

The people you so readily defend have two primary exports - hate and death. They are constitutionally unable to act in a civilized manner in a global community.

As to how "tough" they are - think again. They literally hide behind women and children when confronted by an aggressor. In general, they tend to be illiterate, incompetent dimwits.

For many years, these people have been tolerated by civilized nations despite the constant, unwavering exportation of terrorism, toxic pseudoreligious notions that their "men" somehow have the right to rape and mutilate women and sodomize little boys.

Some wish to harken back to ridiculous ideas that these "arab"/muslim folks have contributed to humanity in any substantial way. To that, I say: name one...just one single material contribution of the muslim/arab world over the past 500 years. Yeah, I thought so. There aren't any. None. Not a single one.

Furthermore, I say that Muslims should consider themselves lucky that we Americans ARE peaceful and tolerant people. Otherwise, we would have exercised any number of options to end the turmoil they have caused. The rest of the world (the SANE people) really don't need Muslims and/or arabs. Islam has contributed nothing but mayhem and misery to the history of mankind.

This is fact, and it it irrefutable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join