It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Reportedly Down in Syria

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Internet Reportedly Down in Syria

On the same day that Egypt has allegedly blocked the Internet, Syria may have made a similar move to silence dissenting voices.

According to Arabic-language website Al Arabiya, the country has suspended all of its Internet services.

mashable.com...

It seems that it is spreading like wildfire.
Syria wants to silence dissent.
Will protests start now in Syria
due to no internet???

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Word of mouth gets around FAST in Arab nations

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
Word of mouth gets around FAST in Arab nations

not as fast as the internet though, lol
but yea ur right.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I actually find it amazing that people like arabs or countries controlled by muslims are technologically capable of developing and maintaining the internet.

but then I remember, they outsource most all of their advanced work to european nations. without westerners, these are people that would not have running water.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The entire region is certainly a powder keg right now. The radical element has been behind this push to set them up for another power grab somewhere in that region.

Keep your eyes on the Suez Canal and it's potential shutdown. Oil Tanker Stocks are surging right now just due to the potential threat that all freighters will have to circumnavigate Africa. Shipping rates will skyrocket and we will see oil and gasoline prices soar in unison if they have to take that route.

I sense some major political manipulation happening here that could be laying the groundwork for a new war.

Read this and tell me what you think

U.S. military teams, intelligence deeply involved in aiding Yemen on strikes

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
The harder you fight freedom, the stronger it gets. Not that they have too many rights in Syria as it is, but, censorship? Amidst revolution?

People will ask questions, passions will rise, someone will do something stupid, and bam. Syrian revolution.
edit on 29-1-2011 by 4KAAN because: missing preposition

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2
I actually find it amazing that people like arabs or countries controlled by muslims are technologically capable of developing and maintaining the internet.

but then I remember, they outsource most all of their advanced work to european nations. without westerners, these are people that would not have running water.

I think you are totally misled into believing complete bunk.

They are revolting because they want freedom like us. Because they are JUST LIKE US.

The way you talk, it sounds like you think they are an inferior species. It's pretty whack.

I hope no one else thinks that kind of ignorant and totally nonfactual assumptions.

No offense. You can easily change your mind to something more in line with the facts.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
U.S. military teams, intelligence deeply involved in aiding Yemen on strikes

www.washingtonpost.com...

after reading that article,
Yemen is beginning to sound a lot like
Laos use to be.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

nah, they are not "just like us."

i believe it's fallacious to think that they want "freedom" or anything resembling a democracy.

this sort of stuff happened back during revolution in iran...they revolted, overthrew the government and then chose to put into power a bunch of mullahs that treated the county like it was a 7th century village.

do you truly think those people want to be like us?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Demonstrations outside Egyptian Embassy in USA.

Hamas has locked down border to Egypt. Hamas keeping quiet.

Israel's Embassy in Cairo shut down and staying quiet.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It will force people out of their chairs, and onto the streets, this will backfire bigtime i think.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Demonstrations in Egypt continue to grow in HUGE numbers, more tense.....military still staying neutral, may have to decide soon their next step.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Yeah...we just found this in my thread too...

Originally posted by Jeremiah Johnson
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I found this, not sure how reliable.

www.theyeshivaworld.com...

Interesting times. Wonder if this is happening in other places too.

And of course there's this:

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Egypt not trending in China

China has blocked the word "Egypt'' from the country's wildly popular Twitter-like service, while coverage of the political turmoil has been tightly restricted in state media.

To be expected from our good friends the Chinese, so what's new? They pioneered the technology long ago.

Some related topics from another thread too:

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Just an update (and a bump).

Tech world stunned at Egypt's Internet shutdown

WaPo: In Egypt, should Internet access be an inalienable right?

WSJ: Egypt Shuts Down Internet, Cellphone Services

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Al Jazeera live stream right now:

english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Many looters in Egypt are indeed Egyptian Central Security agents......ID cards found on them

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Demonstrators refuse to go home until Mubarak resigns

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

On the same day that Egypt has suspended online activity, Syria has also blocked internet service, according to reports.

Syria is known for a tight control of the internet, which was tightened further after the unrest in Tunisia, reports Reuters. Now, Al Arabiya is reporting that internet services have gone down completely in the country. Previously, Syria had blocked programs that "allow access to Facebook Chat from cellphones," according to Reuters.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
Many looters in Egypt are indeed Egyptian Central Security agents......ID cards found on them

Apparently the same thing happened in Tunisia. Why wouldn't they use that tactic, if people think their house is being looted, they'll get off the streets. Don't think it'll work though.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Correct.....but I'm glad the Egyptian Military are staying neutral for the time being - they're not silly.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Ha. Exactly. They're so clever, aren't they? Shutting down communications backfired...go to plan B.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join