It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing? Narus? Telecom Eygpt?: Who is their customer? The Egyptian People!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
SubTitle: "Pointing Your Finger In the Right Direction"

Hi. (I am a new member)

I have stayed away from ATS because I am scared of the type of communication networks it fosters- communication networks that rely on the transmission towers of "the elite". If things get as terrible (hunger, violence, etc) as I think they might...how will I be able to reach you all??? how will we be able to come together?
Nevertheless...HERE I AM. I want to help us point our fingers in the right direction.

Recently, I was angered to see that the communication networks in Eygpt have been shut-down.

I would like to alert everyone to the following location:

570 Maude Court
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
USA

This is the corporate headquarters of a company I believe to be involved in current loss of communication mediums in Egypt.

Perhaps they need to be visited?

Thank-you for reading my first thread!!!!!

From,

edit on Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:16:52 -0600 by JacKatMtn because: title, per member request.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by K8sarvesbarkooh

Well, I'll give you a flag, and a big welcome to ATS! I'm not qualified to help your cause, but will certainly follow this thread to see if anyone else can find out anything else. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
hi and welcome..

whats your proof for your opinion on that company beeing bad than?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Hey, I can understand the fear when sticking your head down the rabbit hole and seeing it dark and deep with no end in sight. Everyone here knows the world is a mess, just call it how you see it. Maybe it will make a difference, maybe it won't, but trying to identify and understand the problem is a good start. It is good you see you have jumped in anyway.

Any reason why Narus? I have had a look at their website and being in the business of network intelligence may have something to do with it. I was thinking that all the local ISP's would have been powered down until the dust settles, not really sure though.
edit on 29-1-2011 by kwakakev because: spelling 'jumped'

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by angrydog

I do not revert to the lingo you use::: "good" or "bad". It's over-similification in my opinion. I would venture to say that they are either forgetting who their real customer is (the Egyptian people) or their customer serviceis bad.

Article published on Narus.com RE: recent growth

Narus’ system protects and manages the largest IP networks in the United States and around the world, some of which include KT (Korea), KDDI (Japan), Raytheon, Telecom Egypt, Reliance (India), Sify (India), Cable and Wireless, Saudi Telecom, U.S. Cellular, Pakistan Telecom Authority and many more. Narus is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Boeing Company (NYSE:BA) and is headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif., with regional offices around the world.

Narus is involved by way of contractual agreements with a company that facilitates communications technologies in Egypt. Timothy Karr, the Campaign Director of Free Press and SavetheInternet.com, has written about the situation in a recent article which has been published by the Huffington Press.

One US Company's Role in Egypts Brutal Crackdown

Christopher Rhoads and Geoffrey A. Fowler explain the situation in this article:
[url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703956604576110453371369740.html?mod=googlenews_wsj]WallStreetJournal Article[/url

edit on 29-1-2011 by K8sarvesbarkooh because: clarity

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Heck, point the finger at the Egyptian government, they ordered the telcoms there to shut it down.

2nd.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

Reply To : bg_socalif
*YET POSSIBLY USEFUL FOR ALL*

I wish you did not add that too my thread. The point of my thread is to try to move AWAY from that kind of rhetoric that is oozing out of the AP (associated press).

From my research I have concluded that, for example, AT&T, Boeing, Goldman Sachs are so closely connected with USAID, NSA, CIA that it would be irrational to try to blame one while not blaming the other(s).

In Egypt's case: It be an injustice if Narus was not held accountable. The Egyptian people have been paying Narus indirectly (but notably) via taxes and monthly bills. It is important for people around the world to start focusing on these large companies equally as much, if not more, than the country governments.

In conclusion::: point the finger at BOTH, but, not just the gov't. BOTH.

An excerpt from something I wrote last year might help to explain my argument ----->

".....continually move between sections A (armed forces), B (bureaucracy) and C (corporations). This dance is known as the ‘revolving door’. For example, Gregg Rothschild was Vice President of Government Relations at Verizon after spending over a decade in government positions. Dorthy Attwood is now Senior Vice President of Regulatory, Planning and Policy at AT&T, she was the Bureau Chief of the Federal Communications Commission. Donald Rumsfeld served as CEO of General Instrument Corporation (“A leader in broadband transmission, distribution, and access control technologies for cable, satellite and terrestrial broadcasting applications, the company pioneered the development of the first all-digital high-definition television technology (Wikipedia)”. He also served as the 13th and 21st Secretary of Defense. The list of examples is extensive. The existence of a revolving door allows for drastic discourse control, such as the Verizon corporation blocking hundreds of text messages requested by pro-choice abortion activists while the government stands by idly. Regarding this situation, Timothy Wu, a law professor at Columbia University in America, cited an analogy to Verizon’s decision, stating, “Another entity that controls mass text messages is the Chinese government” (Liptak, 2007). The result of the revolving door is a maximization of discourse control by way of blurring the checks and balances democratic societies are supposed to maintain so as to keep those in sections A, B and C, honest, just, and non-monopolistic… financially and informatively.
Thomas Jefferson once said “Information is the currency of democracy.” In order for democracy to exists and function the pullers must take back the control of information from the passengers, they must dominant discourse. The US armed forces are working hard to prevent this. The former Director for Strategic Communications and Information on the National Security Council claimed that there “is no alternative but to harness information to protect and promote national interests (Jones, 2005).” Perhaps the most famous proponent of government monopolization of information, John Poindexter, has purported, “It would be ideal if we could have an uncontrolled flow of information. But we realized you can't do that.” A leading receiver of military money has been the Rendon Group, the president of which "insists that information is terrain and someone will occupy it, either the adversary, a third party, or US... [it] is an instrument of national power, just as military, economic and political. Like any weapon or tool, the United States Government needs to use it or cede the 'battlefield' to someone else” (Urrutia-Varhall 2002). Technological advances, such as in quantum cryptographhy, are enabling the passengers [the elite], especially those who are close to section A, to dominate communication arrangements as they wish."

I think your post buys into "their" argument which is : blame the Egyptian govt. It seems to me the hundreds of thousands of people in the street are saying something more. It seems to me they are saying-
"WE ARE DONE BLAMING YOU. WE ARE NOT PLAYING THAT GAME ANYMORE. LEAVE."

In considering their message, I think Americans would be all the better for recognizing that a company headquartered in OUR country is part of what the Egyptians are protesting against. I think it would be wise of Americans to admit that the Federal Government of the United States and corporations they "house" and collect taxes from ARE involved in trying to LIMIT the COMMUNICATION MODES of the Egyptians. If the American government actually wants to help, they should hold a press conference and call out Narus (& Co).

edit on 29-1-2011 by K8sarvesbarkooh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by angrydog
whats your proof for your opinion on that company beeing bad than?

Narus, the same company the created 'NarusInsight, the supercomputer system said to be used by the NSA and other agencies for real-time monitoring of all digital communications.

Boeing-Owned Company May Be Helping Egypt Unplug The Web

The lobbying group Free Press says Boeing has helped Egypt's government shut down the web during the current uprising.

Boeing acquired NARUS last year. NARUS builds a type of web filtering system called Deep Packet Inspection (DPI). It allows governments to monitor where all emails, web posts and phone calls come from -- what is being said -- and who is listening.

It can also be used to shut down traffic at the main routers or servers people use to connect to the Internet -- a so-called kill switch

Also:
Questions Raised About U.S. Firm's Role in Egypt Internet Crackdown

A U.S. company appears to have sold Egypt technology to monitor Internet and mobile phone traffic that is possibly being used by the ruling regime to crack down on communications as protests erupt throughout the country. Boeing-owned, California-based company Narus sold Telecom Egypt, the state-run Internet service provider, “real-time traffic intelligence” equipment, more commonly known as Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) technology. DPI is content-filtering technology that allows network managers to inspect, track and target content from Internet users and mobile phones as it passes through routers on the Web.

And here's an ATS thread from back in '06 tying Narus, AT&T and the NSA to unconstitutional 'wire tapping' of US citizens.

ATS: AT&T Narus Collaboration Sent Your Private Internet Communications to The NSA,

Earlier today we found out that the EFF had sued AT&T over their secret work with the NSA on surveillance of millions of US citizens without wiretaps. We learned that paragraph 65 of this complaint shows EFF is trying to turn it into a nationwide Class Action suit covering all current and former customers (any after 9/2001) of AT&T. And we learned that a retired AT&T technician had stepped forward and disclosed the installation of secret NSA spy equipment in the San Francisco trunk facility. As well as the belief that similar equipment is in place in Seattle, San Jose, Los Angeles and San Diego.

Specifically, this equipment was the Narus ST-6400, a machine that was capable of monitoring over 622 Mbits/second in real time in May, 2000, and capturing anything that hits its' semantice (i.e. the meaning of the content) triggers. The latest generation is called NarusInsight, capable of monitoring 10 billion bits of data per second.

That was developed nearly 10 years ago, with the near exponential advances in both technologies and hardware since, making it quite possible, if not Probable, that 'next generation' capabilities are likely already in place and being used. What? The 'Narus ST-12800 Extreme' ?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Welcome to ATS. There are a lot of people putting their necks out on the line when expressing their feelings, and trying to guide people with evidence of what is taking place. I am sure there are many backlogs on NSA computers that have stamped and cataloged each and every one of us.

I don't think anything will happen - unless national security is breached... but then again, these are extraordinary times.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by kroms33

Hi Kroms33,

Thanks for the welcome etc

I like your signature!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

According to WSBT (clearly not the best source, nevertheless,)

"The lobbying group Free Press says Boeing has helped Egypt's government shut down the web during the current uprising. Boeing acquired NARUS last year. NARUS builds a type of web filtering system called Deep Packet Inspection (DPI). It allows governments to monitor where all emails, web posts and phone calls come from -- what is being said -- and who is listening. It can also be used to shut down traffic at the main routers or servers people use to connect to the Internet -- a so-called kill switch. "

I am interested to know more about the role the technology NARUS has played in the severing of internet use in Egypt. If you can help explain this process, I am certainly curious and I think most people would like to understand exactly how the "shut-down" went down.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This argument put forth in the following article is a great summation, very powerful.

Questions Raised About US Firm's Involvement in Egypt Internet Crackdown
edit on 29-1-2011 by K8sarvesbarkooh because: fixed link

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Fellow ATS Members,

Within this thread is mention to Deep Packet Inspection.
As a member of ATS, probably someone that values the free flow of information, I suggest you become of aware of this technology.

I do not think this technology should be used in "free" societies. Recently a friend become concerned when I told them I was online sharing my views; some people argue that if a martial law type of situation occurs that the TPTB will immediately try to take the "awake" people out of society. (Mention: Sophie Scholl)

-k8
edit on 29-1-2011 by K8sarvesbarkooh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'd push for a protest in front of the NARUS headquarters (or Boeings) but
the fear of being approached as a "terrorist" or as one who "incited riots" keeps me from pushing.
I am simply just whispering a daydream sort of thought.

~*

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Talking about "kill switches" .....

The bill in question is the Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act of 2010, a cyber-security measure introduced in June by Sen. Joseph Lieberman. It was an over-arching cyber-security measure that, among other things, would create an office of cyberspace policy within the White House and a new cyber-security center within the Homeland Security Department. A provision that got the most attention, however, was one that gave the president the power to "authorize emergency measures to protect the nation's most critical infrastructure if a cyber vulnerability is being exploited or is about to be exploited." Some interpreted that to mean that the president would have the authority to shut off the Internet at random. Lieberman refuted the "Internet kill switch" assertion as "misinformation" during an appearance on CNN, and the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, which he chairs, later published a "myth vs. reality" fact sheet on the bill.

Source of Quote

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

edit on 29-1-2011 by K8sarvesbarkooh because: changed my mind

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I have an honest question.....

Where was all this outrage when China ordered Google to comply?

If I recall correctly the masses here at ATS were on China's side at the time making statements that America should butt out of their eternal business and that China had a right to censor and block what they deemed necessary etc. Google signed a contract and should follow orders YADDA YADDA BLAH BLAH BLAH...

Many here at ATS sure do waffle sometimes....

Just an observations is all

edit on 29-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Slayer!
Thanks for responding!

I am new to ATS so I can't comment too much on your observation.

My stance on both (Google and Narus) is for the free flow of information. I believe that people are generally good and that the free flow of information helps keep misinformation out of the spotlight. It's unfortunate that these companies are sooo large that they span the globe the way they do. It's hard for me to understand why China needed Google, or why so many entities signed up to use NARUS's service. Working to combine the hardware that makes the global communication possible is one thing, but the corporations we rely upon for program writing/maintaining search engines/monitoring seem a bit too big for our own good.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Exactly. China pioneered both the technology and the implementation for everyone and no one stopped it.

I remember a lot of the arguments...about it would never be an issue anywhere but China...about how Google was perfect within their rights to do this and use it only in China, But a lot of people actually did speak out against this. In in the end it happened anyway. And it can happen anywhere.

It's pretty hard for the people to stop something when governments and corporations team up on us. We can't even boycott the corporations because in many instances they are our only choice, and even if we do boycott, enough people are apathetic enough or ignorant enough to keep using them and their products and so our hands are tied.

Pretty frustrating.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 1/29/2011 by ~Lucidity because: eeek

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I appreciate your response. Thank you...

This wasn't really directed at you, since you are newish you may have missed all the action here at ATS regarding the Google debuckle.
edit on 29-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join