It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***Communicate if Your Government Shuts Off Your Internet: (a must know piece)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bone13

Satellite internet providers already have (and use) selective disconnection. Be one day past your "pay by" date and they interrupt service. I'm quite sure they could leave the corporate and government access to the satellites while totally excluding the residential users.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Our government has not gone to that extent yet...they have shut down websites, but not because of revolutionary chatter but because of illegal distribution of movies, music, etc.

But I have no doubt in my mind if there is mass unrest the internet will be temporarily suspended as a form of "siege on the American people" to hopefully "calm things down". If I was in power and did not want to readily give up my power...thats exactly what I would do.

Shut it down in small areas that have the most anti-government chatter thus it does not actually cause more unrest. The idea is...if you dont speak bad about your government...YOU GET INTERNET. And when people do not speak ill of the government, they generally do not commit physical acts against the government.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Egypt moves to shut down Al Jazeera...

They continue to try and contain the information leaving Egypt.

On Twitter, an Al Jazeera correspondent, Dan Nolan, wrote: "Aljazeera Cairo bureau has been shut down. Just visited by plain clothes govt security, TV uplink is now closed."

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The wife and I were talking about this one at dinner and she had a great idea.

Her, not being along the Gov't taking anything over mode says..

We could put a couple in the house somewhere with all our info etc. Photo's, legal papers etc. Our own library.

I got to thinking about it and I am gonna do it. We are moving to our new house in March and I can try it out there. I'll let you know how it goes.

Man-this concept could explode. Like Geo-Cashing, if you ever heard of that.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

It just might be a little hard for anyone to post if their internet is shut down (unless they can get a message to someone else via phone in a different area and have them post it).

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The more I see of the news, the worse it gets there in Egypt.

Just a matter of time before the country is turned over to the Muslin Brotherhood-aka pals of Hamas/Iran & Terrorist.

Gonna be an interesting couple of years.

Maybe Nostradamus was right-the big world war will be started by someone from the Middle East (I say Egypt).

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
yea I doubt they will completely shut it down, it's much more likely to be like CHINA, ever heard of the GREAT FIREWALL. If not just look it up and you'll have an idea, just basically limit your internet is probably what they want to do, block access to anything and everything they don't want you to see.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I love the idea of dead drops. I want to get involved with this somehow.. I just wonder how they could possibly stay up that long. Doesn't seem like it would take many people to see it before some *head decided to kick it in or steal the usb drive.

What would you guys put on it if you were to see one?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I think it is best if it wasn't publicly announced like somehwere on here....that way the government wouldn't have an instant stuff our network button they push right after shutting off the main internet. It is best not to be speaking of such things in public actually then spies would surely discover the plans well in advance to prepare for it. I assume that if there is such a thing then if you are a trustworthy person you will eventually get your hands on it if and when the internet shutoff actually happens.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by intj123
reply to post by spikey

I think it is best if it wasn't publicly announced like somehwere on here....that way the government wouldn't have an instant stuff our network button they push right after shutting off the main internet. It is best not to be speaking of such things in public actually then spies would surely discover the plans well in advance to prepare for it. I assume that if there is such a thing then if you are a trustworthy person you will eventually get your hands on it if and when the internet shutoff actually happens.

I hear you, but then how do you propose we prepare to communicate with each other?

If we don't discuss it prior to the net being shut down, how can we tell people which software to use and so on if not in a public forum such as this?

You have to discuss it, in order to prepare..it's a necessary evil i'm afraid.

Here's another open mesh type wifi link up intRanet type network.

daihinia.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I agree with you.

It would be a towering task when SHTF.

However, after thinking about it-a lot- I think this would be very dangerous as an information collection-reception point unless someone could watch it/surveillance etc.

Mostly likely it would be a short lived operation. Eventually, someone would notice (or take pictures/video of) everyone that happens to pause and pull out a computer next to a wall etc.

(Always remember the 5 P's)
Prior Prepration Prevents Pi..-poor Performance

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I think we dont give the government enough credit. What has happened in China and Egypt can, and probably will one day, happen here. WiFi and radio, they'll just jam them. Wouldnt you take out the only means that folks would have to communicate if you knew they'd be looking for ways? Of course.
In wars you take out all the means of escape. Bridges, tunnels, major hwys etc. They'll do that too when they disable the net. That'd be the FIRST thing they'll do...is close off all avenues of getting info out...and then...WOOOOOSH! Gone! Signals jammed, frequencies jammed, you name it....
Hello? Hello? Anybody h....hello? Hello?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

That is the conclusion it appears to be showing its ugly head.

I think the most productive-safe way-is by word of mouth.

These drops are nice-if used for a direct function. But to leave it unguarded and/or unprotected, you just asking for problems. Especially if you are in a war/battle/uprising scenario. IMO>

I think the most I will use the D.D's is to hide stuff in my home (as I noted earlier) for a mini-library etc.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
A paraphrased comment from a tourist in Egypt this morning sums it up. "We couldnt believe it. We didnt see it coming!'. And here we are at ATS....we see it coming...and it is happening...yet some here refuse to believe it can happen.

In Egypt...all systems are failing. Airlines, hotels, Police, Military, Help Services, travelers trapped, legal and illegal checkpoints, delays pushing people back off personal schedules and itineraries, massive amounts of people let into airfields and airports WITHOUT scans or searches, bribes required to travel etc., etc, etc.

This is what we've been trying to say all along. It can happen here..and we...with our cellphones, IPADS, Laptops etc, are not accepting that. We are in for a huge crash of services, logic and reason.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: because!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Just to add to your list, one tv news report said they were now running out of food at the airports for all those people stuck there waiting to get out. Meanwhile there is no-one who can tell the tourists what to do or where to go. This is going downhill fast.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I think we are going to learn that it is a lot worse than we are lead to believe-all over the country.

Something tells me there is more afoot-behind the scenes.

I just can't believe the radicals have kept a low profile-from we are allowed to see. Makes me think they are using the peaceful protest as a cover to move weapons & troops/terrorist into places they haven't been able to do so before.

Just in case the gov't doesn't get over-thrown-they will be in a better position to do what they do.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
www.ist-popeye.eu...

this one will be worth keeping an eye on.

POPEYE research has produced a multi-layered, scalable, open framework enabling the development of integrated collaborative applications in an infrastructure free environment.

Key features include:

* dynamic peer connection/ disconnection
* multi-hop peers communication
* distributed data sharing and persistency
* dynamic workspace management
* dynamic context management and security
* support for application development

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

I heard that the internet was re-hooked up this morning. According to a Fox News reporter there. He emailed NYC office at 7:15 E.S.T indicating the ISP were beginning to fire up.

I think that is one heck of a good sign. Not to mention that the Army said-ENOUGH.

I think the Army's laid backness up to now was key for the protestors success-so far.

But, as soon I as posted this one, I saw this story:

Egypt Internet Back Up As Protests Turn Violent In Cairo
www.wired.com...#
edit on 2/2/2011 by anon72 because: Updated story

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I think I may have found the solution:

Ad-hoc networks using WiMAX (longer range than wifi)
en.wikipedia.org...

Comparison with Wi-Fi Comparisons and confusion between WiMAX and Wi-Fi are frequent because both are related to wireless connectivity and Internet access.[25] * WiMAX is a long range system, covering many kilometres, that uses licensed or unlicensed spectrum to deliver connection to a network, in most cases the Internet. * Wi-Fi uses unlicensed spectrum to provide access to a local network. * Wi-Fi is more popular in end user devices. * Wi-Fi runs on the Media Access Control's CSMA/CA protocol, which is connectionless and contention based, whereas WiMAX runs a connection-oriented MAC. * WiMAX and Wi-Fi have quite different quality of service (QoS) mechanisms: o WiMAX uses a QoS mechanism based on connections between the base station and the user device. Each connection is based on specific scheduling algorithms. o Wi-Fi uses contention access - all subscriber stations that wish to pass data through a wireless access point (AP) are competing for the AP's attention on a random interrupt basis. This can cause subscriber stations distant from the AP to be repeatedly interrupted by closer stations, greatly reducing their throughput. * Both 802.11 (which includes Wi-Fi) and 802.16 (which includes WiMAX) define Peer-to-Peer (P2P) and ad hoc networks, where an end user communicates to users or servers on another Local Area Network (LAN) using its access point or base station. However, 802.11 supports also direct ad hoc or peer to peer networking between end user devices without an access point while 802.16 end user devices must be in range of the base station. Although Wi-Fi and WiMAX are designed for different situations, they are complementary. WiMAX network operators typically provide a WiMAX Subscriber Unit which connects to the metropolitan WiMAX network and provides Wi-Fi within the home or business for local devices (e.g., Laptops, Wi-Fi Handsets, smartphones) for connectivity. This enables the user to place the WiMAX Subscriber Unit in the best reception area (such as a window), and still be able to use the WiMAX network from any place within their residence.

I think this is the way to go because you can connect point to point with a computer just like wifi but much much long range, in the order of miles.

But I guess for right now, my method of communications will be long range wi-fi ad-hoc networks.
edit on 23-2-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join