It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military confrontation between Cambodia, Thai near temple continues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Military confrontation between Cambodia, Thai near temple continues

news.xinhuanet.com

The military confrontation between Cambodian and Thai troops over the border area near Preah Vihear temple continues on Saturday and troops on both sides are still on high alert, said a close military source standby at the area.

"We're still on high alert to defend our territorial integrity, " a senior officer, who asked not to be named, said on Saturday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
The issue :

The re-tension between Cambodia and Thailand over the border happened on Thursday after Thailand demanded Cambodia to remove a national flag over Wat Keo Sikha Kiri Svarak pagoda near Preah Vihear temple, claiming that the pagoda is on the disputed area, but Cambodian side rejected it.

We completely missed it... this started on Thursday.

Quite serious :

"We have warned Thai troops in advance already, if they dare to enter Cambodian territory, Cambodia will use self-defense rights to protect our sovereignty and territorial integrity," he said.

Cambodian Ministry of Defense on Friday has dispatched dozens of tanks and fighting vehicles as well as missiles and ammunition to Preah Vihear temple area. He said that those armaments have arrived at Preah Vihear temple on Saturday morning.

And Thailand is doing ``military drills`` right on the border... using an old war tactic.

The ministry called "the statement made by Thai Prime Minister in parallel with Thailand's military exercise at the border with Cambodia is clearly provocative and constitutes a casus belli for future acts of aggression against Cambodia."

Also : US and Cambodia in controversial lockstep

The US has provided over US$4.5 million worth of military equipment and training to the Cambodian military since 2006, and this was the first time the two sides jointly put the equipment to use.

Support for that regime that does this :

In a July 8 report, Human Rights Watch (HRW), a US-based rights lobby, alleged that many RCAF units selected to participate in the joint exercises had abysmal rights records. HRW said that by allowing the controversial units to participate in the drills, the US had undermined its own commitment to the promotion of human rights in Cambodia.

HRW, Cambodian human-rights organizations and other international rights groups, as well as the US State Department, have all detailed ACO Tank Command units involvement in illegal land seizures. These include the November 2009 seizure of farmland from 133 families in Baneay Meanchey province and the use of tanks in 2007 to flatten villagers' fences and crops in a forceful move to confiscate land.

HRW noted that certain elite units, such as the prime minister's personal bodyguard, Airborne Brigade 911, Brigade 31 and Brigade 70, were all scheduled to participate in the Phnom Penh portion of the exercise. Both the bodyguard unit and Brigade 70 were involved in the 1997 grenade attack on a political rally by the opposition Sam Rainsy Party, according to HRW.

Airborne Brigade 911, meanwhile, has been linked to arbitrary detentions, political violence, torture and summary executions. Brigade 31 has been accused of involvement in illegal logging, intimidation of opposition party activists and land-grabbing, including the use in 2008 of US-provided trucks to forcibly evict villagers from their land in Kampot province.

Cambodian military officers and soldiers operate without fear of arrest or punishment, human-rights groups say. ''Hun Sen has promoted military officers implicated in torture, extra-judicial killings and political violence,'' said Phil Robertson, HRW's deputy Asia director.

Sounds like another Mubarak.

Anyway, UN peacekeepers were in Cambodia from 91 to 93 following a civil war. The military budget of Cambodia was 123 million $ in 2009. Military budget for Thailand : 5.1 BILLION $ for 2009....so you know who's gonna wipe the floor with the other if war breaks out... still, Cambodia is the home of the infamous Khmer Rouges... so you never know.

news.xinhuanet.com
edit on 29-1-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
SßF Thanks

Seems like another Hotspot.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
The military budget of Cambodia was 123 million $ in 2009. Military budget for Thailand : 5.1 BILLION $ for 2009....so you know who's gonna wipe the floor with the other if war breaks out..
Yes it would be a pretty lopsided battle if war breaks out, based on those figures.

I didn't realize it had heated up this much but this conflict has been going on for some time. Let's hope it doesn't escalate. The Thai and Cambodians are both fine people and I'd hate to see them killing each other.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
These countrys are both involved in trying to obtain wmd as far as i know.
The question that arises is if they do get them, will they be so stupid as to emply themÉ
Other than tactical nukes of small yield, i dont think it would be practical for either one to nuke the other.
they are small in land mass, and they are in very close proximity.
perhaps a nuke would put them both out of business regardless who gets it dropped on who.....dumb dumb dumb....

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Are you kidding me? Can you support those absurd claims? I live here in Cambodia and let me tell you, there will be no war with Thailand. Cambodia is losing land on both sides. The Vietnamese have always had expansionist ideas, the area where HCM is was once part of Cambodia.

What is also happening is that Iron Sen is becoming more and more like a Dictator. Cambodia has a culture of impunity and this is something that has to change.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

What are you talking about? Thailand and Cambodia trying to get WMDs? What? No way, especially for Cambodia since they've got no military budget.

I think you're mistaking those countries for Myanmar and North Korea.

Cambodia has suffered enough in the last 50 years. The Vietnam war + Khmer Rouges + civil war + UN peacekeepers... that's too much suffering.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
My little brother was/is in Thailand on vacation. I thought he was supposed to be back now, but I have yet to hear from him.
I don't like this.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
UPDATE : Clash between Cambodian and Thai troops near the 11th century temple was still on at 4:30 p.m. on Friday and the Cambodian troops have arrested 5-6 Thai troops, said military sources.

"Now, we have arrested 5-6 Thai troops and some raised hands to defect," said a soldier standby at the area of Preah Vihear temple. "Thai side has asked us to do negotiation."

Cambodian Defense Minister Tea Banh told Xinhua through phone on Friday that "We have warned them not to enter our territory, but they still violated and entered, so we opened fire to defend our territory."

He added that heavy weapons including rockets, machine guns, mortars and artillery have been used in the exchange of fire.

Thailand giving up to Cambodia? Crazy....

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Again another skimirsh...

3rd Round of Clashes between Thailand and Cambodia

A 3rd round of fighting has erupted between Thai and Cambodian troops at the border. Tanks are being used. Initial reports say 2 Thai civilians have been injured.

Crazy!

Now that tanks are being used... seems to me like a war and not a mere skirmish.
edit on 6-2-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Cambodia: Heritage site damaged in border fighting

The government cited a military commander as saying a wing of the Preah Vihear temple was damaged Sunday as a result of Thai artillery bombardment.

When you do artillery bombardment... it's serious.

Thousands of Thais flee fighting on border with Cambodia (DPA)

edit on 6-2-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Cambodia calls for U.N. border safety zone

As sporadic fighting continues, Cambodia's prime minister called on the United Nations to set up a buffer zone in its disputed frontier with Thailand.

For four days Cambodian and Thai troops have exchanged gunfire and artillery shells in the vicinity of the 11th-century Preah Vihear temple, a World Heritage Site in the Dangrek Mountains 300 miles east of Bangkok.

Cambodian Foreign Minister Hor Namhong said five Cambodians had been killed and 45 injured.

Fighting in the remote area is "threatening regional security," Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen said.

"We need the United Nations to send forces here and create a buffer zone to guarantee that there is no more fighting," he said during a university graduation ceremony in Phnom Penh. "We will go to the U.N. Security Council whether you like it or not."

Cambodia knows it's gonna have it's butt kicked if war breaks out...that's why they want UN protection.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Its been an annual squabble between the two for many years now.. Mostly posturing by both side with glares and insults thrown at each other by the thai and cambodian troops on the border lasts about a week then they wave at each other and it settles down till next year. Nothing to get worked up over. Have even seen troops from both sides share a meal together - when the media wasnt around during past incidents .

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Thai soldiers injured in border clash

Five Thai soldiers were wounded, one seriously, during fighting that flared again near an ancient temple in a disputed border area with Cambodia.

Thai military sources said Cambodian soldiers attacked their post near Phu Ma Khua, close to the frontier and the 11th-century Preah Vihear temple.

Still going on.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Anyway, UN peacekeepers were in Cambodia from 91 to 93 following a civil war. The military budget of Cambodia was 123 million $ in 2009. Military budget for Thailand : 5.1 BILLION $ for 2009....so you know who's gonna wipe the floor with the other if war breaks out... still, Cambodia is the home of the infamous Khmer Rouges... so you never know.

news.xinhuanet.com
edit on 29-1-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Budget has nothing to do with this, as it depends on how those funds are spent and when it comes to Thailand it is rarely wisely
They bought an aircraft carrier from the US but its NEVER been used because they cannot afford the maintainence and it just sits in dock at Sattahip in Chonburi province.

Whilst Thailand have spent alot of money on arms they are not renowned for their military battles since the elephant was decommissioned
it's not so long ago that my beloved Thailand was beaten in a war with mighty Laos. I think about 50% of their military budget gets spent and then returned to the Generals and politicians bank accounts in highly structured commission payments. In building the new airport at Suvarnubhumi in Bangkok the Thaksin government was caught paying something like 30 times the price for GE airport scanners, of which they bought 12 (if my memory serves me right) and only two have ever worked

However, Hun Sen is a power hungry dictator who refuses to give up power, even when he loses an election. He is an ex-Khmer Rouge officer who defected to the Vietnamese when the Khmer Rouge had a short war in the late 70's that ended the Khmer Rouges reign (thank you Vietnam). I doubt that the Khmer Rouge fighting experience would count as those that fought in the 70's to take power are either too old, dead or running franchise businesses in the USA.

I doubt that this will escalate beyond a border skirmish (which has been going on for some time) as Cambodia usually hurts itself far more financially when these things escalate as they depend on Thailand for so much. Most tourist flights come through Bangkok and Cambodia own national airline is once again in demise or out of business (again). The only people that get hurt are those poor people who live close to the borders and the soldiers, whilst life goes on in the major cities like Bangkok and Pnom Penh.
edit on 18/2/11 by Hongkongphooey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
My little brother was/is in Thailand on vacation. I thought he was supposed to be back now, but I have yet to hear from him.
I don't like this.

Not uncommon, so many people have such a great time in Thailand when they are exposed to Thai culture and tourist freedoms they have rarely enjoyed elsewhere that they extend their holidays.

Hope he phones you soon, don't worry he won't be caught up in the border skirmishes.

If you don't hear from him within a couple of weeks, i would contact your embassy in Thailand to be on the safe side and maybe even write to the Bangkok Post and Nation Newspapers. Sometimes people do that in looking for lost relatives and asking if anyone knows their whereabouts. Pattaya Today/Post and Phuket Gazette/Post are also liable to print letters.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
These countrys are both involved in trying to obtain wmd as far as i know.
The question that arises is if they do get them, will they be so stupid as to emply themÉ
Other than tactical nukes of small yield, i dont think it would be practical for either one to nuke the other.
they are small in land mass, and they are in very close proximity.
perhaps a nuke would put them both out of business regardless who gets it dropped on who.....dumb dumb dumb....

Are you for real? You obviously have zero knowledge of Thailand or Cambodia to make statements like that? WMD? You mean like USA has? In an ideal world no country should have WMD's (or even BLT's)

I do find it hypocritical though that the only country that has ever used WMD's goes around the world using other countries of having WMD's and using it as an excuse to invade!

Thailand itself is the the size of England and France combined, so not that small in land mass unless your comparing to USA , Canada, China, Brazil or Russia? Having driven from one end of Thailand (Songkla in the south to Chiang Rai in the North) I can tell you its not that small! Israel is small, Luxemburg is small, Wales, Northern Island, Panama, Dubai all tiny compared to Thailand!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Preparing For A Bigger War

Red shirt populists and yellow shirt royalists are still demonstrating in the capital, but the sense of crises has diminished. The yellow shirts are largely responsible for the current "war" with Cambodia, by pushing the use of force to press a shaky claim on some land around a border temple. Most of the population backs the red shirts, but no one wants a civil war over the issue of new elections (which the royalists would lose).

The armed forces have put 15,000 troops on the Cambodia border, around a 4.6 square kilometer temple compound that both nations claim control over. Cambodia have about the same number of troops in the area, but Thailand has prepared plans to send a lot more troops to the border, and apply Thailand's larger and more powerful military power against Cambodia. The royalists running the current government see this as a way to gain wider support in Thailand.

Hopefully this ain't true...

new topics

top topics

join