It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Revolution is at your door RIGHT NOW!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I would walk out the door with a baseball bat and tell them to knock off all the noise...or else!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I wonder, sometimes, about the possibility of waking up one morning to find that what you posted is true. Then, a day or so later, city people start showing up in my town so I invite as many as can be managed to set up on my property where I have a wind powered water well and least a little refuge for a time. Nice as this might seem the food will eventually run our and people will get tired of eating dogs, cats and rabbits. What then? I suppose the key to survival is avoid excesses of emotion and keep the guns out of sight so some one else doesn't "pop" you.
edit on 29-1-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

oh my god! do think you are going to be attacked by muskets?

you sit around waiting for a fight but your are too ignorant to realize you have no fight to offer. Your family is going to die in this scenario mr. bipartisan, cause you did nothing to prevent it, except brag about how you ancestors fought like lincoln did. I would feel pretty stupid if i said something like that. I feel bad for you.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
I think most people don't have the ability to "take action". By the time it gets bad enough, they'll either be homeless, sick, or too hungry to fight.

And for those who are "prepared" - if they are smart, they'll stay out of "the fight" for as long as possible, but by the time the fight comes to them, they'll get overwhelmed by authoritarian powers.

At least, that's the way most of America will go down.

I agree with you, the powers that be have huge resources and have the ability to suppress any crowd or militia. For example, just look at how fast crowds are dispersed with riot police, now imagine adding helicopter gun ships, armored vehicles, tactical war gear and more. there would have to be military coup in favor of the people.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

So what is your bright idea? To run out in to the middle of it? Do you suggest that I run off and give up what I have worked for my whole life?

I will send my family to relatives that are close by. They have more people there to protect them than here. They also have a better chance of long term survival there than here. I know they would be well taken cared for. I would then stand to protect what is mine. Would I die? Most likely. However, I would die as a man standing to protect what is mine. I would die in defience of those that wish to rule by violence and coercion.

That is not stupid. That is standing for principle, self determination, and honor. It is something that would change the world if more people understood it.

ETA: Just so you understand a little bit of history. North Carolina told the CSA and the USA to both go taking a flying leap. They didn't want a part of either side. They were very religous, hated the idea of a war, and were phasing out slavery on their own. So, in their mind they had nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Lincoln sent notice saying, give me troops or you will be considerred enemy combatants. North Carolina's legislature said, this morning we awoke pacifist that wished not to partake in this war, but Mr. Lincoln you have forced our hand. We then went to war and sent more troops than nearly any state.

True North Carolinians have the attitude that we just want to be left alone. We want the right to decide our own life. If you try to force your ways on us, prepare for a fight. Leave me be and I will be the guy tending to who is wounded and sharing surplus to help the community where I live. Force your revolution or suppresion on me and I will fight to repell you from my land and my neighborhood.

It is the oldest idea in America. Heck some one say it is the very idea that formed this nation.
edit on 29-1-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by VI0811

Ok... since we're in fun mode... Let's try it this way....

Originally posted by VI0811

Ya, that will solve everything. Smart, Once again, pissing in your own pool does not correct or oust the unjust ....

What does this actually have to do with the OP? I am assuming you read it and aren't just replying to the title and the pictures.

There was no discussion of solving anything. There was no talk of ousting the unjust.

There was a hypothetical situation and a request for people to comment upon how they might react to a hypothetical. And even the hypothetical only represented conflict, for certain, in a localized manner.

Violent civil unrest ... ??? Use your head, when the conflict is over. Then what ? For either side ? You are left rebuilding everything ... putting your people and country ( no matter which side wins ) in chaos for years and years while you sit as the winner, trying to figure out how to govern your newly found power......

Where exactly did I imply that I was putting my interests anywhere at all? Where did I suggest I was interested i in power?

Use your head people ... Thinking like this get us nowhere but backwards ... Smart one ..

edit on 29-1-2011 by VI0811 because: (no reason given)

I agree that, in most circumstances which led to violence would be a step backwards.

But the point of the OP was to ask you how YOU would feel, think, react, if you were to wake in the middle of some form of revolt.

I've stated my opinion. And, what do guns have to do with change. ?

And now, so have I (stated an opinion).

~Heff

OK, I am not really into what ifs but ... I don't believe i could wake up to that without seeing it coming given where I live, and position of my home. But, if something along that line did in fact happen, I would protect my family. And yes, I would use guns and force to assure my families survival. I don't believe either side could be trusted at that point. Or the out come would be good. But, my focus would be on protecting family.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

But what i dont get... is if you are so prepared to take such drastic action and you will have the strength to part with your family and fight to the death... where is that courage now?

How many letters have you written to your government reps detailing your dislike to the laws that are written in order to "Control" people and their properties? how many protest have you attended? how many public committees are you a member of? Why don't you stop paying taxes? do something.

everyone talks like they are going to be like an action star when the SHTF but where are those action stars now when we still have diplomatic and chartered rights to stop such actions?

I admire you courage, but we are all still waiting to see it.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I'd wait for a few days to see how things pan out, if they get worse - Under cover of darkness, I would pack a bag of goods for 2 weeks, take my survival gear and leave the city on foot and take refuge in a nearby forest, building a shelter, and spending time fishing the rivers for extra sources of food.

Let the ego's clash - revel in the abundance of nature.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well first thing it is ensure my family is safe and to protect my family. Then I would try to figure out what is going on. I would not fight over political views or political squabbles or retaliation from random acts of violence. Then again some political factions around the world will not give up their power with out force and that is clear threw out history. I guess it all comes down to where you are and what the circumstances are. Is it gang warfare, is an invasion , is it a revolt , it is a government trying to create a dictatorship and strip away civil rights.

To go running outside with guns blazing at anything that moves in a situation you are describing where one doesn't know what is going on is not very canadianish

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

You have no idea who I am. So, I forgive your ignorance.

I was the guy in high school that took on bullies when they tried to terrorize others. I am the one that stood up to the school administration when they were wrong. I even went toe to toe with a local "alderman" in the papers, and at public meetings. I protested a high school that said gay couples could not attend the prom.

I protested the war in Iraq in the streets. I have written my represenitives, I have attended town halls. I have stood in the gap while many would only sit here and type. I have taken time to educate others, to present them with things they don't know. I have educated, and been educated. I have acted, and I have watched. I have done all I know to do and then found new ways to act.

To claim that I have done nothing is a complete show of ignorance. Do not assume to know the history of the people here. Chances are your assumptions are way off. In the end I refuse to take up arms against anyone that is not a direct and immediate threat to my life. That is my moral position. Non violence is my prefered method. However, don't let that fool you.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
Im not trying to derail a thread .....All I will say is be careful what you post here because your words are permanant and could be used against you if the situation were to unfold as such.

Just sayin'....it's never a great idea to broadcast to the world what you will or wont do. Some things are best kept to one's own self.

Words to the wise.

Real honest to God political change is never peaceful and rarely a surprise, and the question "What would you do?" is a dangerous precept to discuss in a public venue these days. Blackops719 has given sage advice here in response as there is about a thousand agencies and bureaus who would love to know your answer.

"You have to tread with care when dealing with cats, they have influence and are seen in all the smart places."
-Alice

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
If something were to happen I wouldn't be looking to any GI Joe types for answers and direction. I DO support our troops but thats because I love my country and they are just doing what our Government tells them to do. Lots of GI Joe types where I live and most of them are military trained....they are skilled at killing and weilding a gun NOT necessarily skilled in thinking and formulating educated decisions based on facts and gathered data that I would suggest very highly everyone would do before taking any kind of action or getting involved. I really don't see any fights coming to your front door anytime soon though. Why would they hit Joe and Sally's house, hes a teacher and shes a stay at home mom. Hey I'm just saying.....Hope you use your noggin before you decide to load the guns etc or take GI Joes advice on what to do.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

So, what I gather from what you are saying, is you would send you would rather sit alone (separated from your family) and protect your "stuff"? Without your family around you what is left to protect? Your house? Your Car? Other material possessions...

I hope this is not what you are saying, but that is what it sounds like to me and if that is the case then I just shake my head in utter disbelief..

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Well good for you then. Seriously. But it does throw me off a bit to see you take part in this "what if" scenario all together then.

You can see the strings in the system, but you give up? I wouldn't blame you, as i stated in my first post, I'm waiting for a cataclysmic event that NOBODY can control because i think that is the only way to pull from this.

You have to understand as well is that myself being Canadian, we are all getting a little tired of American tough talk, your army is only strong in the movies and the people seem to bend over and take it from every angle imaginable. How can an american talk tough even historically given how victimized it has allowed itself to become.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

The point is to save the home and land so that they may come back to it if things pass. It is also the point of not being forced to live on your knees. I would pray that I survive and that they can come back. However, I would be willing to send them away if necesary to save their lives.

You see it as fighting for possesions. That means you do not understand the underlying reasoning. It isn't about posessions. It is about self determination, it is about standing against tyranny and evil. It is about fighting for what is right no matter the cost to me personally.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
You see it as fighting for possesions. That means you do not understand the underlying reasoning. It isn't about posessions. It is about self determination, it is about standing against tyranny and evil. It is about fighting for what is right no matter the cost to me personally.

Clarification is all I was asking for, which you have given me... this does not mean that I do not understand the underlying reason it just means that the wording you used "things I have worked my whole life for" sounds very much to the average reader as a materialistic statement. (And I do include the roof over your head as a material possession...)

Personally, I would take use this horrible situation, to begin a-new with my family. My child would be safer with me and her father than in anyone else' s care (no matter how trustworthy they are) And I would get the hell out of the populated areas... But then again, I am antisocial, I dislike urbanized life and would give up all which I had accumulated there to live a more "down-to-earth" lifestyle.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Taking part in what if scenarios helps to sharp the mind. Even if the scenario is almost impossible it keeps the brain sharp. I am also a writer so it helps stir up new ideas.

How do you sever the the strings. You play by the rules and you protest. I can not in conscience stop paying taxes. I use the roads. I will call the fire department if needed. I use services that my taxes pay for. Even though there are many evil and horrible things are government does, there are benifits here that many still use every day. I can not expect someone else to pay my share for these services and benifits. There are dozens of things that the government does that actually benifits people daily.

I understand your position. I get tired of hearing it myself. I realize how many people here have alligator mouthes and puppy dog rear ends. We tend to have more than a fair share of keyboard comandoes and jaw waggers.

However, I do take umbridge at your remarks regarding our military. It may not be the worldest mightiest force. However, many men and women are brave and strong soldiers. Unfortunately they often find their hands tied by politicians and buerucrats. Men like Patton and Mcarthur are not allowed in any more. We have to have a kinder gentler army to win minds and hearts instead of wars. That isn't the average soldiers fault.

My question to you is, how can Canada really claim to be any tougher?

This isn't about which country is tougher. It is about, what you would do. So, what would you do besides cast stones at those with an idea?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Forgive me for changing the details on my "situation" a little, but I own no guns and do not ever plan on using/owning one. So my answer to this interesting question will not include "me having guns".

I would first freak out. I would absorb the moment emotionally and then try and logically weigh the situation as best as I could. I assume I would fail at figuring out "exactly what was going down" just by looking out my windows.

Assuming the chaos left me guessing, I would then take my family and place them in the basement, along with food and water and whatever else I can muster to insure they could survive down there with or without me for a while (blankets, batteries, flashlights, etc). I'd wait for backup while I tried to calm my family.

I assume my brother would soon show up with his brood. He lives very close.

One of us would decide to go out and do some recon. I would guess it would be me. Seeing as I'm the physically faster one, and he is the brains. The brains would stay inside and protect the children and women folk, while I would go out and begin talking to those in my neighborhood.

A few local friends will surly show up soon enough as well, since many of them have small apartments and we have all agreed to meeting here in times of chaos and confusion. Two of them are trained shooters and survival types. I'd hope they would stay with the pack and remain inside with our loved ones.

I would try and acquire information on what was happening, but I assume that such info would do me little good. I'd try and talk the words of peace and remind all those I encountered on my recon excursion to "try their hardest to remain calm and peaceful".

I would also see if there was anyone hurt that I could help, or if there was anyone "losing their minds" that I could calm. My community is tightly knit and I'd assume there would be many familiar faces doing the same. I'd try to communicate with them and hear their ideas.

If the situation looked dire enough, I'd return to inform the group that we would be moving to the mountains nearby to wait it out a little. Or if the situation looked like it may settle soon- I'd tell them we should remain situated in our defendable little bunker, or move to our "pre-decided location" (rather not include that in this thread).

Things I would not do-

Join anyone fighting outside unless I saw my neighbors being killed or captured.

Start rioting or acting a fool.

Speaking hateful rhetoric to those willing to listen.

Steal or destroy other's property.

Inside our basement/fortress I would hope to weather the worst of the storm. If it didn't die down, I'd spend considerable energy making my home "hard to enter and easy to defend" or move to the wilderness close by (depending on the assessments of myself and my friends and family).

Within a few days, I'd assume i'd have contact with a small army of friends who have been already assembled and collected over time. We would do our best to remain civil and directed towards survival and peace.

I would explain to my child what I thought was happening to the best of my ability, and remind him that he is not to leave the side of his uncles or father if at all possible.

Either way, I would know I am outnumbered and out gunned on all fronts and try my hardest to remain alive with my family and friends.

I wouldn't enjoy this situation nor do I wish for it at all.

I guess I would do what many folks would do. I would try not to die and try to survive each day until things became livable or at least tolerable.

Once things settled down, I would then determine my next step.

Eventually, I'd assume me and my "team" would relocate to our "predetermined location" and live there. There is enough land and resources there for a large number of us to survive adequately with a little hard living and hunting/farming.

It would be a scary time, but not impossible to survive through. But really, my own survival would be of little concern to me. My entire motivation would be-

"keep the team alive at all costs. Even at the cost of my own life".

Guess my answer is kinda dumb and a good reminder that "I am not fully prepared for such a thing". But I do have a few hundred friends very aware of a possible collapse of the system and we have all commincated about this many times.

We have the man power, the resources and the intellect needed to rebuild a small civilization. The question is-

"Would they allow that to happen or would we all be slaughtered/captured first?"

MM

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
I would walk out the door with a baseball bat and tell them to knock off all the noise...or else!

Best answer thus far.

I'd follow this poster as my new leader as soon as the smoke cleared.

MM

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Scenario: let's say that there was a civil war....Patriot Militia against a US under UN "protectorate" (post some disaster that wiped out the govt and the continuation govt was working with the UN and they wanted to collect the guns and round up civilians for fema camps) and you had stored food, etc. You might find that it is the militia who comes and demands your food, water and any weapons that you have to "support the rebellion." Those citizens who are prepared might be vulnerable to being "raped" by both sides. Altho the rebels wont put anyone in camps.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join