It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protests continue as tanks roll into Cairo's Tahrir Square

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Protests continue as tanks roll into Cairo's Tahrir Square

news.blogs.cnn.com

Egyptian military tanks surrounded Cairo's Tahrir Square, where hundreds of protesters had gathered on Saturday.

Demonstrators chanted "Down with Mubarak" and "We are all Egyptians."

The atmosphere was tense, but people gathered in the square were posing for pictures with tanks and shaking troops' hands.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
edition.cnn.com

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
A new day, a new round of passionate protesting in Egypt's capital and surrounding areas. Popular questions being asked are;

Where is this all leading? perhaps north to Israel?

The world is watching, and hoping we do not witness another tiananmen square.

I know there are a few topics on this subject already, but they are more focused towards politics and political conspiracy, I want this thread to serve as a rallying point for any information relating to human rights as i believe the worst is still yet to come in Cairo.

I will update when I can, Thanks

news.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Another part of me more devoted to history worries about what would happen in the worse case scenario, Cairo is home to the largest collections of middle eastern archaeology on the planet.

To see it plundered like the museums of Iraq in 2006 would be heart breaking,

Hope it doesn't get that far.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 1

www.breakingnews.com...

Al Jazeera correspondent reports seeing more than 20 bodies in Alexandria, Egypt, morgue

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 2

www.euronews.net...

One Cairo building that has been spared so far in the anti-government protests is the Egyptian Museum, despite a fire raging at the ruling National Democratic Party office nearby. Locals were determined to protect national treasures.

UPDATE 3

www.mediaspy.org...

Journalists covering the anti-government protests in Cairo have been targeted by Egyptian security forces, with watchdogs and media organisations reporting that several media workers have been assaulted or detained this week.

Both local and international outlets have been targeted as part of Egypt's efforts to stop the flow of information through new and traditional media. President Hosni Mubarak has also ordered the shutdown of most internet and mobile phone services in the country.

edit on 29-1-2011 by plexus because: additional information added

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by plexus

Beautiful video and very inspiring.

Thanks for the upload.

Mubarak is truly a sick man. May he get punished in this life and the next.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by plexus

From the little I've heard it seems the army may side with the protesters..
For what is really a revolution I admire the way the protesters have acted..
Any policeman that lays down his weapon is treated with respect..
A great advertisement for how protests should be..

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by plexus

You have a whole nation embracing Spirit... Now that is powerful.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
hundreds of tweets per minute @ hashtagEgypt

twitter.com...

check it out

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I wonder what the Israeli government are thinking right now?

Egypt looking like going down the route of chaos.

Lebanon looking a bit shaky to say the least.

Just been reading about protests taking place now in Jordan too.

Debka saying Iran to establish a naval base in Lebanon.

Crazy days and then there's Tunisia too

Edit to add there must be some hidden hand operating here, it's all to coincidental
edit on 29-1-2011 by ufoorbhunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

myTT2U Mubarak Imma let you finish. But Egypt is having one of the best revolutions of all time! (cc @kanyewest ) #egypt #25jan less than a minute ago via web

twitter.com...

link   
Here is something I just really don`t get with the military. How can they turn on their own people in stuff like this. Here is where I would hope they would use their brains and join their Mothers Fathers and Friends not use force against them. Does not the military solders have the common sense to see who they are going against. When that many people in a country want change they are the country you give it to them.

Hope this goes well for Them.

link   
Seems like the government isn't going down as easy in Egypt as it did in Tunisia. We'll have another Tiananmen Square soon.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Okandetre

You forget the people always win..

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Connman
Here is something I just really don`t get with the military. How can they turn on their own people in stuff like this. Here is where I would hope they would use their brains and join their Mothers Fathers and Friends not use force against them. Does not the military solders have the common sense to see who they are going against. When that many people in a country want change they are the country you give it to them.

Hope this goes well for Them.

I don't think so..
The Egyptian army seems to be siding with the people.
Senior officials are saying the will NOT fire on Egyptians..
All seems OK so far..

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Deterioration continues in Egypt. Each day the calls for protest and regime change gets stronger. Muburak and his minions will have to flee the country if the military and his security services side with the demonstrators. Moreover, the leader/dictator had ought to make a statement to the people explicitly highlighting the intention to hold some kind of elections, and if need be that they are observed by the UN or a third party nation.

Let politics take its course? Why risk the destruction of the country and scores of deaths? One way or another, if Muburak does not consent to the will of the people he may be taken down forcefully from his post, and afterward; who knows what is going to take over in his place? There is an extremist element in Egypt who would love to get their hands on the reigns of power.

I am kind of curious where the Muslim Brotherhood fits in to all of this? This would be a good time for them to send a message as the government takes its eyes off of them to tend to the demonstrations. Someone has got to put water on the the flame before it becomes an inferno. Egypt is on the cusp of descending into chaos. I am watching this closely, thanks for the rundown OP!
edit on 29-1-2011 by Jakes51 because: Added some text for clarity.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Mubarak's minions have left, the Zionists have deserted the Israeli embassy, they were picked up in a helicopter, transported to the nearest airport and fled.

Now the Egyptians need to force the US diplomats to flee their country. Mubarak without his puppet masters would be lost.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Some updates from Aljazeera

2:47pm Up to 50,000 people gather in Cairo's Tahrir Square

1:58pm A group of Bedouin has attacked state security headquarters in the town of Rafah near Egypt's border with Israel, killing three policemen, witnesses and a security source said.

1:55pm The headquarters of the ruling party in Luxor, Upper Egypt, have been torched. Military tanks are entering the city.

1:50pm A huge number of protestors is heading toward Tahrir square in downtown Cairo.

1:15pm Officials in Alexandria tell Al Jazeera that the death toll has risen to at least 27.

Another update via reuters

www.reuters.com...

Jan 29 (Reuters) - Thirty bodies were taken to El Damardash hospital in central Cairo between 1 p.m. and 11 p.m. on Friday during the protests calling for the ousting of Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak, a hospital source said on Saturday.

She said two of the dead were children, one aged seven, the other aged four. (Reporting by Sameh al-Bardisi, Editing by Alison Williams)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/61012280e309.jpg[/atsimg]

The headquarters of the ruling National Democratic Party in Cairo are still on fire.

edit on 29-1-2011 by plexus because: additional information added

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by plexus

It is not getting any better. It seems by the updates and your photo, the protesters are upping the ante? Attacking government posts is a clear sign of that. President Muburak has been steadfast on his position of holding on to power as the country unravels around him.

Egypt Protests Continue as Military Stands By

In the early hours of Saturday, protesters continued to defy a nationwide curfew as Mr. Mubarak, 82, breaking days of silence, appeared on national television, promising to replace the ministers in his government, but calling popular protests “part of bigger plot to shake the stability” of Egypt. He refused calls, shouted by huge, angry crowds on Friday in the central squares of Cairo, the northern port of Alexandria and the canal city of Suez, for him to resign.

So, he has spoken out against the protests and has offered to replace his cabinet ministers. He talked of his accomplishments and stressed reform as a answer to the country's perils. Still, I think these protesters want nothing more than his complete resignation and departure from the country. Here is the full speech by President Hosni Muburak:

With the military fraternizing with the protesters, all the President's men have descended upon their nest to protect the King?

Egypt Protests Continue as Military Stands By

The feared security police had largely withdrawn from central Cairo to take up positions around the presidential palace, with their places taken up by the army.

It is not looking good for the dictator if these protests continue. The walls are closing in around him, and if the military continues to side with the people; he will have no choice but to resign. A dictator who looses his muscle is as vulnerable as the people they oppress. The chaos continues in the Egypt.
edit on 29-1-2011 by Jakes51 because: Removed part of a news source quote, because info was previously stated in the OP. Reworked some text as well.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Some more updates

www.ynetnews.com...

Would-be looters broke into Cairo's famed Egyptian Museum, ripping the heads off two mummies and damaging about 10 small artifacts before being caught and detained by army soldiers, Egypt's antiquities chief said Saturday.

Zahi Hawass said the vandals did not manage to steal any of the museum's antiquities, and that the prized collection was now safe and under military guard. (AP)

Sad, really sad.

More updates via Aljazeera English.

11:06pm Cairo neighborhoods are being policed by local residents wielding kitchen knives and hunting rifles, after the military called for civilians to protect their own property.

9:35pm Seven Egyptians died while trying to break into a police station in Beni Suef, 120km south of Cairo.

9:28pm According to Vodafone, cellular phone networks have started to resume functioning across Egypt's capital.

7:38pm Ayman Mohyeldin reports that eyewitnesses have said "party thugs" associated with the Egyptian regime's Central Security Services - in plainclothes but bearing government-issued weapons - have been looting in Cairo. Ayman says the reports started off as isolated accounts but are now growing in number.

top topics

join