It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am seeing a disturbing trend in the uk

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris
reply to post by Misterlondon

I undertand what you are saying. Thats why i said maybe this issue has always been here, but you hear about it more because of all the news outlets we have now. When i was young, my friends parents had two Staffordshire's and they were great dogs. Like i said before its the owners. Maybe it is getting worse just because of the violent and cool trends that are out there at the moment when it comes to young people.

It has always been that way ever since I was a child, these "rude boys" or "chavs" whatever you want to call them have always had these type of dogs. You can't always blame the owner.. My uncle is a fantastic dog owner, he had a Japanese Akita which went on to attack a child (he put it down). As a child I was attacked by an alsation, again the owner was a good person. And as you say staffs are great dogs but I have also seen and heard stories of them attacking.. All animals are unpredictable.
I do feel sorry for the lady, it is a sad story and I really hope they catch the guy and dog, but you can't always paint someone with the same brush.. Just because you see a youth with an aggressive breed of dog doesn't necesaraly mean that person is a thug or criminal.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by colin42
reply to post by Death_Kron

I have never heard of a law 'being found drunk in charge of a dog'.

There does not need to be. The owner is responsible for their dog and any action it takes from fouling the footpath onwards.

What was the police response to this?

Well, the police took a description, thats all they could do. But if they do catch up to him, then im sure the dog will be put down, and im sure the owner will be charged with something.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Yes, but the chances of a dog attacking another dog, or person are high when you have these people as owners. Yes, i know any dog can attack, but these rudboys.chavs have these dogs for the soul purpose off looking good and hard. Maybe i am looking much much into it because of what i saw yesterday. Im just thinking that could have been my wife there, and because the man was so drunk, if the dog attacked my wife, or anyone else, then the owner would be able to do very little.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by colin42

I have never heard of a law 'being found drunk in charge of a dog'.

There does not need to be. The owner is responsible for their dog and any action it takes from fouling the footpath onwards.

What was the police response to this?

Yes I agree.

But what I'm trying to allude to is the fact that if the dog owner was drunk then his actions or lack thereof could have been the result from the consumption of alcohol.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Originally posted by Misterlondon

You don't know that he didn't try to stop his dog.. You are only hearing one side of the story, and a side from which he is the villain.. Him being drunk is irrelevant..

Maybe I'm too trusting then but on this occasion I tend to believe the OP.

The dog owner being drunk is not irrelevant, in fact it's very important.

There is a reason it's illegal to drive when drunk. Alcohol removes inhibitions and depending on the individual, can lead to aggressive behaviour; in this particular scenario the obvious question; (given the OP is telling the truth, which I believe he is) would the dog owner have acted differently if he was sober? i.e. attempted to stop his pet attacking someones elses pet.

I'm not in anyway questioning the op's retelling of the story, but he didn't see it first hand. He is only retelling what was told to him.
When something like that happens, it all happens to quick and people just recount what they saw.. In this case a dog attacking another dog.. Was anyone actually watching the owners reaction? How long did the attack last? The fact the guy walked off, he is automatically demonised and that leaves him open to all kind of negative responses when the story is retold..
Which he quite rightly deserves for walking away, maybe the whole episode frightened him and be didn't know how to react, who knows how he feels today about all this..
One thing is for sure though, once a dog gets a taste for blood, there is no turning back, I'm sure this dog will cause more problems in the future.. I hope they find it,

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

Thats a good start.

The next step is to get the message out to as many other dog owners in the area as possible with the description of both the man and the dog and make sure they both get nailed before the next victim is a child.

As resposonsible owners we should do our best to ensure it is the iresonsible owners that suffer from this behaviour and not allow us all to be tarred with the same brush.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Yes, i completly understand where you are coming from

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I think the confusion between if this is a trend or if it has been around all the time largely depends on where you live. In places like where I live now it has been a norm for a long time. Where y parents live for example, it is a growing trend.

I live in a very rough part of a major city here in the UK and so people with these attitudes towards dogs has been here for a long time, though I would also say the incident rates are also increasing. In some areas it has not been normal before and therefor it is seen as a new trend.

There is one man near where I live who goes down the street everyday with 2 large dogs and a smaller one, of which only ever is the smaller one on a lead. The other two run widly around the estate, into traffic, into people gardens and sometimes jumping at/on people. This happened to my girlfriend as she was knocked to the floor by one, luckily it didn't attack her in full. She was already scared of dogs before that. These people who don't train or control their pets are a big problem in areas like this.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Again I have to disagree, some maybe but not all of these people have dogs for weapons. I know people who are put in this bracket of rude boy etc but they are great pet owners who love and give there animals a good life

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

I know what you are saying as well but there is no proof the owner was drunk, drugged or just an iresponsible moron.

There is undeniable proof he is not responsible enough to own or control his dog and it is he, by law held soley accountable for its actions.

The view that he was drunk, drugged if found to be so which would be impossible to prove just shows he is irresponsible with respects to anything in his life.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
whilst on a lead my husky has been attacked on several occasions although i have shielded her once it has escalated. the muppets who allow their dangerous dogs loose should be held accountable for their actions. once it becomes apparent that teeth will sink into flesh i will take appropriate action to ensure that dog never has the ability to inflict damage again. i have confronted a number of owners about their crass attitude only to be answered with 'soz mate'. i am totally for mandatory insurance and license. my brothers cat was torn to pieces in the back street by two rotties owned by a pair of scumbag addicts. this happened in front of my niece who was four at the time and she was traumatised by what she saw. they moved house not long after that occured.

i hope they find this drunken bum and deprive him of his booze money.
f

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well, i have not seen anyone from the flat, so i don't know if they caught him or not. The carpet downstairs has a huge red stain on it
I have no reason to believe that the witnesess were wrong about the owner being drunk. We do get a few of them round here trying to get iinto the flats, and most of them are alcoholics. I love living in Brighton, but there does seem to be alot of Alcoholics around. So, if you have a Alcoholic, and one of these dogs, then thats not a good mix

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by serenecalamityz

serenecalamityz

Your post actually makes alot of sense.... we, as a society have bred a generation whom are albiet useless and a 'risk'.....

There is a thread on ATS about the 'most violent video game.... mortal combat or some such # which now includes 'x-ray' damage, ie the gamer can visualize the internal damage from the punch, kick or whatever.....

Call me old fashioned, i don't care but it says alot that the game developer needs to include this to heighten the 'effect' for what is a VERY de-sensitized generation.....

On the subject of the Dog, if one attacked me or my Dog then I would have no hesitation in killing it ASAP..... there are ways and means and to be honest YOU ARE probably doing the dog a favour........ considering the type of owner.......

If the owner complained I would probably do the same to them.... without hesitation..

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Sorry to hear of this event, disgusting and disturbing don't do it justice......

If you want to make a difference and feel good about yourself, get in touch with the Victim and in time help her get a new dog, go to a rescue centre and help....... as a society we mostly view the problem, very few actually help and make a difference....... give it a try ..

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I would certainly agree with the dramatic changes in Brighton's social structure..

I take my dog for a walk and there are certain parks I will not longer go, these toss pots meet with their dogs and then cream their pants when they get the chance to set their "pack" on anyone coming near "their" park..

I'm a complete coward, real chicken legs me, but these guys get such a rise out of me that I end up going toe to toe with them and their dogs, one pack nearly tore my collie apart... and I nearly tore them apart..

One guy by me has been forced to have 3 put down.. each time that happens he goes down the RSPCA and gets another... and they do not question him as they have too many..

The police are no better than wet rags.. tho people are quick to shout if a fox bites anyone, but say nothing to these toss pots.

I really do fear for our society.. Brighton used to be such a nice place.. now, well, now I live on the outskirts in the Ouse Valley.. such a shame

edit on 29/1/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I live in newhaven just 10 miles from brighton and yes i see this all the time. The worse part of this is and its true all the "BAD MEN" wanna be gangsters have these types of dogs. And insted of doing the crime them selves they actually use the dog as the weapon. The main reason is that the people that use them as this will not actually get much trouble from the police and the dog will actually take the punishment from what happened so the wanna be gangster walks free with a small fine and a slap on the wrist. It really gets to me as people do this its just sick they should ban all fighting types of dogs to stop and put a end to all this. great thread

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by johnaldo165

a good start would be mandatory insurance and license. if a dog injures anyone then it is to be expected the owner forks out an excess and their premium rockets. i am sure this will address a good proportion of the idiots who have no business owning such animals.
f

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I will never understand why a person has a dog like that. Whats wrong with a normal non aggressive dog.

Sick

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

Sorry to hear of this event, disgusting and disturbing don't do it justice......

If you want to make a difference and feel good about yourself, get in touch with the Victim and in time help her get a new dog, go to a rescue centre and help....... as a society we mostly view the problem, very few actually help and make a difference....... give it a try ..

Regards

PDUK

I stayed with her until the police came, plus there was three other people there. She lives there with her son, who at the time was working in london. I don't know if she will get another dog after this

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I have lived in Brighton (kemp town) for a year and a half. I do like Brighton, and i guess you get these people everywhere. I was born and brought up in Luton, which is basically a town of chavs,drug dealers and criminals
So, i can say that Brighton is nowhere as bad as some places
The sad fact of the matter is, these people think they are so cool when they walk the street. I think they are too stupid to realise that most people just think they are idiots.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join