It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Differences between the Moon and Mars with the Earth. (Why there are no aliens from Mars)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
News flash, Mars is no different than the Moon except for a few localized hydrological events and minor wind erosion.

Anyone care to believe in aliens from Mars, or ancient civilizations there, has to refute this thread FIRST!

I will defend that there are no aliens from Mars, because more like the Moon, Mars is far more lifeless throughout its geological activity, though maybe it could have formed pre-bacterium type of life.

[edit on 13-7-2004 by FreeMason]

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Not that I believe in alien life or ancient civilizations on mars, the moon has no water, mars has ice, one has a thin atmosphere, and the other none. So I'd say they're very much different.

edit: g on thin

[edit on 12-7-2004 by Lysergic]

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
What is there to refute? You haven't posted any information... and anyone who wants to reply to you would be forced to waste a lot of time linking to information that shows that the moon and mars are actually very different.

Beyond the fact that you've ignored that mars has an atmosphere... your concession of difference -- which you summarize as 'hydrological activity' -- is a pretty big sidestep. You've essentially just said that Mars and the moon are the same, except for the fact that mars once had surface water... Do you understand why that's a pretty big thing to basically hop over?

We know, now, that Mars once had liquid surface water and a heavier atmosphere... these two things make it very different from the moon.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
What is there to refute? You haven't posted any information...

Exactly what I was thinking.. The mars and the moon are very different indeed. Post up some information and people will debate you. Good day.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Whats with all the Anti-Mars stuff today?

Mars is not in Orbit around the Earth. The moon is

Mars has Ice caps. The moon does not

Mars has an atmosphere. The moon does not.

Mars has evidence of water that stayed in place for quite a long time. There is no evidence of this on the Moon.

Mars was not formed from Part of the Earth.

Mars is more temperate than the moon.

Bacteria can survive in conditions similar to conditions on Mars, but not the moon.

I don't even know why I am bothering to respond, but it sounded like fun..

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
How dare we challenge his intellectual might!

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Plus, everybody knows that the moon is made out of cheese and that Robin Williams lives there....

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Bobafett,

Robin Williams lives there?
I thought it was just his head...
Or am I remembering it wrong?

Space

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Your are correct sir. It was his head, I think, it's been awhile...funny movie though

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Accually the moon does have water on/under it's surface.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Mars also shows evidence of past sesmic activity. Also volcanoes. No such things on the moon.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
What is required for a planet to have seismic activity? Does the planet need to be young?

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by VirusClock

show me some evidence of that one, please. maybe you're thinking of mars.

EDIT: disregard above, see below in the thread.

anyway, here's some proof of how strikingly different the two bodies are:

The Moon
Diameter is 2150 miles
only 237,000 miles away from the earth
ORBITS THE EARTH!
no atmosphere; hydrogen detected below the surface, water around craters at the poles.
gravity is 1/6 earth's
little activity of any sort (ie geological, weather, etc) has occurred in the last 3 billion years

Mars
Diameter is 4220 miles
63,000,000 miles AT ITS CLOSEST to earth
ORBITS THE SUN!
thin CO2 atmosphere (about 1/10 of what the earth has in density); no ozone; and trace amounts of H2O
gravity is 1/4 earth's
dry ice and H2O polar ice caps, highspeed winds, and the occasional worldwide duststorm, frost around crater rims; extinct volcanos, no plate techtonics

so, let's review... mars is still nothing like the moon!

[edit on 7/12/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

[edit on 7/12/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Link 1
Link 2

Once I read the post, I immediately remembered hearing the news. It's ain't much, but it's something.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by Esoterica]

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by VirusClock

Maybe he is referring to the water ice at the poles that the neutron spectrometer that was on the Lunar Prospector found? I'm not sure though. I did come across this:

On 5 March 1998 it was announced that data returned by the Lunar Prospector spacecraft indicated that water ice is present at both the north and south lunar poles, in agreement with Clementine results for the south pole reported in November 1996. The ice originally appeared to be mixed in with the lunar regolith (surface rocks, soil, and dust) at low concentrations conservatively estimated at 0.3 to 1 percent. Subsequent data from Lunar Prospector taken over a longer period has indicated the possible presence of discrete, confined, near-pure water ice deposits buried beneath as much as 18 inches (40 centimeters) of dry regolith, with the water signature being stronger at the Moon's north pole than at the south (1). The ice was thought to be spread over 10,000 to 50,000 square km (3,600 to 18,000 square miles) of area near the north pole and 5,000 to 20,000 square km (1,800 to 7,200 square miles) around the south pole, but the latest results show the water may be more concentrated in localized areas (roughly 1850 square km, or 650 square miles, at each pole) rather than being spread out over these large regions. The estimated total mass of ice is 6 trillion kg (6.6 billion tons). Uncertainties in the models mean this estimate could be off considerably.

I got this info from here

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
Once I read the post, I immediately remembered hearing the news. It's ain't much, but it's something.

thanks! i hadn't heard of that before. i'll edit my previous post slightly.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
FreeMason! Great to see ya again!

ummm, Mars is real, and rather different then the moon.
I've seen both from an observatory a friend of mine works at in Colorado.
I also have some friends at NASA who can vouch for Mars being "different" than the moon.

I don't understand this thread...
- Tass

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I'm a veritable encyclopedia of completely random knowledge :p

I used to keep tabs on the space program, but the past few years have seen me slack off quite a bit. I still like to think I'm a bit useful, though

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Mars is no different than the Moon except for a few localized hydrological events and minor wind erosion.

A fairly sweeping generalisation based on far from complete evidence isn't it?

I think the fundamental flaw in the statement is that we know that Mars once had conditions that would harbour life as we know it. Whereas the moon appears never to have had such conditions. I would consider that distinction alone is enough to ignore this thread.

Hrm, on the topic of which, I would very much like FM to back up some of his claims in this thread before it is locked for being so groundless.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

I'm a veritable encyclopedia of completely random knowledge :p

I used to keep tabs on the space program, but the past few years have seen me slack off quite a bit. I still like to think I'm a bit useful, though

Thanks for covering that up for me
, same goes for Nyarlathotep.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join