It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA fears the next big "oil spill" will be in America's dairy land.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Some things the government does are so darn stupid, you would have to think it was fiction.

The EPA has decided that, since milk has a small percentage of butterfat, it is to be considered as oil and that dairy farmers have to put in place expensive spill prevention plans to prevent a Deepwater-type disaster in America's dairy lands.

EPA: Milk=Oil

GRAND RAPIDS -- Having watched the oil gushing in the Gulf of Mexico, dairy farmer Frank Konkel has a hard time seeing how spilled milk can be labeled the same kind of environmental hazard.

But the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is classifying milk as oil because it contains a percentage of animal fat, which is a non-petroleum oil.

The Hesperia farmer and others would be required to develop and implement spill prevention plans for milk storage tanks.

American Spectator

A representative from a dairy state introduced legislation to try to block this insanity:

Bill calls for EPA to focus on oil spills, not spilled milk

The Michigan Farm Bureau (MFB) backs legislation introduced by U.S. Congresswoman Candice Miller (R-Mich.) that would direct the U.S. Environment Protection Agency (EPA) to change its designation of milk as an environmental hazard.

The legislation is in response to EPA's Oil Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) Program, as initiated under the Clean Water Act, which considers milk the same as oil and directs dairy farmers to have an oil spill prevention plan. If they don't, farmers are subject to punitive damages.

In a news release about the bill's introduction, Miller says the EPA's criterion places undue, over-burdensome and costly regulatory requirements on dairy farmers.

"Milk is a natural resource and directing the EPA to proceed with exempting our dairy producers is a common sense solution," she says.

Miller adds: "We see on television every day the devastation being wrought in the Gulf of Mexico by the ongoing oil spill. It is simply ridiculous for the EPA to suggest that milk presents the same danger to our environment as oil. The federal government's focus on the Gulf oil spill has been brought into question and one has to wonder if ridiculous requirements like this are a reason why. The EPA has an important job and it should properly place its focus where it belongs — on spilled oil, not spilled milk."

Daily Herd

Unfortunately, it seems the bill didn't go far in Pelosi's Congress and this insanity is set to go into effect soon according to the latest news story I could find on this craziness.

EPA will hold-off on milk spill regulations

The EPA says it will hold-off on the deadline for farmers to comply with the Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) regulations. The rules are designed to prevent oil spills from getting into the waterways of the United States. The requirement is that storage facilities have a spill prevention plan certified by a professional engineer. The problem is milk contains butterfat and butterfat is classified as an oil so dairy farms with bulk milk storage would have to comply.

National Milk Producers Federation asked the EPA to exempt bulk milk storage from the rule. In a letter to NMPF dated June 9th, the EPA committed to finalizing the SPCC exemption for bulk milk storage “as expeditiously as possible …to have that process completed by early 2011.” In addition, EPA will be extending the compliance deadline for dairy producers until that time.

Brownfield News

As if the economy spiraling down the toilet while oil prices skyrocket isn't enough to knock the American people for a loop, it seems they are now prepared to implement wasteful regulations to send our milk prices through the roof.

But hey, if it prevents another BP-type disaster, its all worth it, right?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
In Capitalist America, it is of use to cry over spilled milk!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
As Babylon sinks, they 'milk the cows' of money. Let's moooove to stop this!

But really, it's just to try and suck more money out to save the Babylon/Atlantis/Empire.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Oh my dear country..whats next? what is wrong with your corrupt mind? Didn't we all grow up with the saying no use crying over spilled milk?..

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
If I was a dairy farmer, this is the spill prevention plan I would submit to them:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a90bc2f716b0.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
PETA/ HSUS has "friends" in high places. Good ole Cass (Sunstein).
This is a good thing. The more they spread their bat guano tyranny around, the fewer donations they will get and the more their political power will decrease.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
this is just another strike by the government against small time farmers in the war to drive them out of business so that huge corporations can take over with their hormone-infused, genetically modified poisons...it is along the same lines as the recently passed nazi food safety bill, all part of the war being waged on mankind by megalomaniacs in power...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Sounds like another false flag coming up. I'm sure since Obama appointed 'Monsanto' as the food tzar we'll have all sorts of 'problems' with normal food and the areas that produce it. Just remember who to blame...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a093c2aa8041.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
They are trying to shut down the last couple of small dairy farmers so the Corporate Farm owns full control of the market.

That's whatcha get in a Satanic nation worried more about power and control than feeding it's citizens.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! Sorry had to scream. This is such B# ...Milk=oil ?
People all over my state have kitchen faucets where their water literaly ignites and catches on fire as a result of natural gas frack drilling, live stock thats becoming sterile, drinking wells contaminated, etc....The govt/EPA lets them dump tens of thousands of gallons of nasty chemicals into the ground during the drilling/fracking process and they're going to cry about spilled milk

Follow the paper trail I guess.
Why do I have a feeling that Monsanto has something to do with this? They do pretty much own the EPA too.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

I've heard horror stories about natural gas drilling and how the EPA pretty much looks the other way. Those government bureaucrats must be pretty well paid off by that industry.

I wonder why they are cracking down so hard on the milk industry lately? Between this and the FDA raids on raw milk farmers, something has got to be up.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by mtnshredder

I've heard horror stories about natural gas drilling and how the EPA pretty much looks the other way. Those government bureaucrats must be pretty well paid off by that industry.

I wonder why they are cracking down so hard on the milk industry lately? Between this and the FDA raids on raw milk farmers, something has got to be up.

Here's what I thinks up...........like always follow the money, if you look at who's on the Monsanto payroll past and present, connect the dots, it all makes sense. They own the govt at every level and now working on the private sector.

Here's an interesting article, not sure about date but it is within the yr I believe. Well worth the read!
[url=" www.smart-publications.com...]"

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This is the kinda thing makes me think "It over; There's simply no reasoning with these idiots. Why argue?; its just too stupid. Try to drive your UDSA or EPA trucks on out to our county farms you'll find welcoming committees along the way..official channels my butt.Takes too long: 174 grn fmj at 2475fps.There's our veto

.No I 'm not calling for violence. That'd be poor form.Jefferson would have bigger, grayer; ballz than I have but I wonder what Jefferson would saytoday ....Probably something like:"
" C'mon wheezy Get Lionel! Well; we're movin' on up!"

edit on 29-1-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

top topics

join