It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Groundhog Day Storm May Affect More than 100 Million People

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
I heard that we are supposed to get 12-20 inches here. Plus sleet and freezing rain. They are also forecasting 30+ mile per hour winds. Even if we get half of that, its going to be bad!

We are decently prepared though. I don't mind being snowed in!

That does not sound pleasant at all. Hope you got all your provisions!
Stay safe and warm!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Ft. Wayne here - 18 to 24 inches of snow, sleet, high winds. Getting a little too close for comfort with the ice but it will most likely be a little south of us, hopefully. What is in store you other members out there?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Fort Wayne Indiana??? If so, that is crazy! I am about a half an hour from there and my mom lives in Churubusco.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

I heard after I posted that it might be slightly less but still a ton. I am not taking my chances though! We just made a last minute trip to the store (after a trip yesterday) for snacks. The roads were already starting to drift on the way home.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Hello Ft. Wayne neightbor - Nice to meet you! Take good care during the storm, it started snowing here after sunset.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I went out twice for storm supplies and food. Home now, so whatever I forgot will have to be for maybe a week or longer. My car is vintage and doesn't like the cold.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Thats too funny! How do you stand the traffic?! We went shopping there on Saturday and it was just ridiculous!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I love traffic, I would rather drive in traffic (sight seeing is better) than on the highway. Still trying to learn my way around the area. I shop in New Haven often, hwy close by me.

Snow coming down heavy here now - don't think the wind is too bad yet. Heard some sleet hitting the windows.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

It is here too. Its very "sleety" snow so far, if that makes sense. I am planning on just staying home until it all blows over. Hopefully we don't get as much as they are calling for...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Gettysburg PA area. We're supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow before it changes over to freezing rain and sleet early in the morning. Possible accumulations of up to 1/2 inch of ice. Doesn't sound like a lot - if it was snow! Ice, that's a whole 'nother matter.

Got both kids to the pediatrician today - one for a possible broken toe from indoor soccer and one for some headache problems he's been having. Medicine and xrays taken care of. (The toe is fine
, she just needs to avoid kicking walls, bleachers and other players' shin guards from now on!) On to the optometrist to have my daughter's glasses adjusted. Wally world for some comfort items & a new ice scraper (we have all the basics at home already) and Lowes for salt. Can't believe hubby let that run out!
And made, uh I mean asked, hubby to fill the gas cans for the generator just in case.

Kids are hoping for a snow day tomorrow, I'm thinking an early dismissal is more probable.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Wisconsin here.

I just came in, from running a few errands. The plows don't seem to be working fast enough, as the roads are all pretty white. It's been snowing off and on all day.

My desktop weather alert just turned from 'Blizzard Watch' to 'Blizzard Warning', for Tuesday 3pm to 3pm Wednesday.

I told the kids to sleep with jammies inside out, so I guess we'll have to see if tomorrow turns into a 'snow day'.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mountainmeg
... one for a possible broken toe from indoor soccer ...

Good to hear that the toe is okay. I've got a little one, here, that's recovering from a broken arm. She (8 yrs old) broke her arm 3 weeks ago (snowboarding). The fracture isn't healing correctly, as she keeps using the hand to write (we believe is part of the reason). So, this past Friday (the 28th) she was put under anesthesia and the bone was 're-positioned' and re-splinted.

I don't wish kids' broken limbs on any parent! Turns us parents into 'slaves', just like that. (snaps fingers)

edit on 31-1-2011 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
Wisconsin here.

I just came in, from running a few errands. The plows don't seem to be working fast enough, as the roads are all pretty white. It's been snowing off and on all day.

My desktop weather alert just turned from 'Blizzard Watch' to 'Blizzard Warning', for Tuesday 3pm to 3pm Wednesday.

I told the kids to sleep with jammies inside out, so I guess we'll have to see if tomorrow turns into a 'snow day'.

What does inside-out jammies have to do with a storm?

I'm sure it's going to be a lot better than I thought you wrote. I thought you said you told the kids to go sleep outside .....so

But please, do-tell. I am curious.

Is it for a quick get away?
or
Cause you won't be able to wash them (cause you might lose power) so you want to be able to get two day usage out of them?

I am dying to know what you meant.
Now give it up. I'll follow you around the forum every day until you tell me what you meant

edit on 31-1-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Top of the morning to ya! lol,

First off, inside out jammies? O.o! Is that supposed to contain cold? lol cause I would love to know, I am ready for anything that can combat the cold!

It seems like in Maryland we will just be getting freezing rain as per the weather channel. So hopefully no snow and no feet and feet of snow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

LOL....@Human_Alien
edit on 1/31/2011 by ISis12RA12ELohim because: typo

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

HA,

You're so funny! Florida, huh? Yeah, I'm from California/Arizona and only learned of the 'inside-out jammies' when I moved here. Snow is still quite new to me.

The kids are supposed to wear their pajamas inside-out when they want a 'snow-day' (aka: no school due to the snow).

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I knew all along what inside out jammies were about, lol. My bad, I didn't know.

It is really piling up out there. I let my Bassett Hound out 15 minutes ago, he is so low to the ground and has big paws - after 10 minutes I couldn't see his prints any longer. We may have at least 6 - 8 inches by now and it just started 5 hours ago.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

The kids are supposed to wear their pajamas inside-out when they want a 'snow-day' (aka: no school due to the snow).

*runs off to turn my jammies inside-out*

I know I know.. I am worse than my own kids with the possibility of a snow day, or even a late start day

I live in Central Texas and we don't see that much snow/ice action around here.

Be safe everyone and try to stay warm

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
LOL that is SO cute! about the kids, Snow is quite new to me to even though I was raised in the north east, it should be something common to me but it's not, I just cant seem to adjust to snow and the cold weather. I feel much more at home in yes Florida

I can't believe this is affecting 1 million people! So far it is looking good here, though I can't say the same about other places, Did anyone read that article about the possible super storm to hit California? There is a lot of talk and action regarding super storms lately, makes one think eh?

HA,

You're so funny! Florida, huh? Yeah, I'm from California/Arizona and only learned of the 'inside-out jammies' when I moved here. Snow is still quite new to me.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
We ended up with about 6 inches of snow last night but we are in store for 28 - 24 tonight. Blizzard condition forecast in my area. Stay safe everyone.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I really hope the power doesnt go out. My windows are poorly insulated. Im sitting on the couch with the heat cranked up to 75 and still feel cold drafts from the wind. I did buy the plastic film but still have to get my butt up to put it on lol They call for 10-15 tonight, up to 3 inches tomarrow and we had about an inch today. So..maybe 20 inches total more or less. It's been sleeting since last night here

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join